B&W 604s3 VS CDM 7NT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Ok, here is the deal. I'm on the verge of going into HIFI path or stay with my MIDFI system. My wife told me I won't be satisfied with 600 series in a year. But, with 604, I can keep my 3802, but if I take CDM 7NT route, I'm overhauling the whole system which will cost me bundle, of course. So, it comes out to this question. Do you think that CDM7NT sound is twice as good as 604's? Would CDM 7NT will be enough? Any opinion would help me greatly.

2. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Sorry to throw more into your choices, but the CDM9T is a much better speaker than the 7 for a bit more ($600). The 9 uses drivers from the Nautilus line (not just the tweeter), and really is a very good speaker. The CDM line will sound OK with a 3802, but will not really shine until you get some better electronics. I heard the 602 the other day, and the 600 series really does offer a lot of bang for the buck. The CDM9 is in a different category entirely, as you can upgrade and make your setup sound better and better as you go. If you are not planning on upgrading the electronics in the future, then just go with the 600.

3. Bob-N

Bob-N Supporting Actor

Having listened to both CDM and 600 line all across the board, I would have to agree with Manoj. IMHO, the CDM series is worth the 2x price but you need to have better electronics to really take advantage of the CDM line.
    I started out with 602 S2's as mains (w/20-39PC sub) and jumped up to CDM1NTs last month. I'll be going with separates, either the Outlaw 950 or Anthem AVM20 (still waiting for both[​IMG]) w/a Rotel 5 ch amp. The 602's will go back to surround duty.
    If I upgrade, it will be to the CDM9NTs as mains w/1NTs going back to surround duty. But that may be a while from now.
    Bob

4. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Here's my 0.02c. I have gone through the B&W line owning the 602's, 603's, CDM7's, and now Nautilus 804's.
    If you have a good sub, the 7's will be a better choice although I did prefer the CDM's over any 600 series anyway.
    Without a sub the 7's will lack low bass and you will not be happy. The 604's will give you fairly low bass but will not offer the detail and more importantly imaging that the CDM's will. Good luck! [​IMG]

5. Michael_Mc

Michael_Mc Extra

Just last week I auditioned the 604 S3 and the CDM 9NTs and I liked the 604s better. Maybe its my taste in music or maybe its the electronics I heard them with.

In either case, try auditioning them side by side.

Good Luck!

Mike

6. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

I would say the CDM7nt is a better choice, I am not so sure that the 9 is worth the extra $600, I have the 7 and my dad has the 9, we had them in the same house for an extended amount of time in different rooms and the same room. I will just say that the 7s do very very well against the 9s (when you say that the 9 uses the same drivers as the 800 series, you must not forget that the 7s use the same driver as the 805 and HTM-2, not exactly a slouch of a speaker), I feel like if the 9 were a $150 or so more, I would have ended up with the 9, but at that price I would just go for the 804 (my next upgrade)..

as an owner of 602 and 601s, I can say the CDM line is much more refined-NO QUESTION!! perhaps the 600 series is more of a "HT" speaker since it is a little bit more "boomy", but the CDM is nicer.

7. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

I agree with Rodney. I own the 602S2 for fronts, CDM-CNT for center, and 600S3 for rears. I know they are not exactly matched tonely, but they are close enough for HT use. I don't use it much for music.

I would like to move up to the entire CDM series, but I just can't justify the money for the difference in sound. I didn't like the CC6 center channel, so I did move up to the CDM line in that, because the price difference was not that much. But, it's twice as much to go from the 602 to the 1NT's, and about a grand or more to go to the 7NT's. I would rather spend the $'s upgrading some of the other components at this time.

I would say stick with the 604's and upgrade the receiver or get an amp and use it as a pre/pro. Maybe try the CNT center channel and see if that improves your HT system.

8. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

jon, that is exactly how I ended up with the CDMs, I didn't like the CC6, so I upgraded to the CDMCNT, then I later got the CDM7