B&W 604s3 VS CDM 7NT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yoon Lee, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

Ok, here is the deal. I'm on the verge of going into HIFI path or stay with my MIDFI system. My wife told me I won't be satisfied with 600 series in a year. But, with 604, I can keep my 3802, but if I take CDM 7NT route, I'm overhauling the whole system which will cost me bundle, of course. So, it comes out to this question. Do you think that CDM7NT sound is twice as good as 604's? Would CDM 7NT will be enough? Any opinion would help me greatly.

2. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

Hi Yoon,
    I am in a similar situation. I have the 603s for mains right now for both 2.1ch music and 5.1 ht. I could afford an upgrade to the CDM line now, but I decided to hold off till I can afford something from the 800 line (probably the 804 or maybe 803). Don't misunderstand me. I think the CDM line is great. Better than the 600s. I just see the improvement as being marginal when compare to the sound 800 series offers (relative to the 600s). Unfortunatetly, the price is not marginal relative to the 600s [​IMG].
    Best of Luck,
    --Steve

3. Mike Main

Mike Main Stunt Coordinator

Yeah I wanna porsche and can save for a few years, but I need a car to drive everyday today. You can sit and enjoy or upgrade and be miserable like the rest of us. [​IMG] I have 7nts and the thing I realize is theres always something bettter, someone always makes more money than u, someone always has a nicer car.... I dont think u could go wrong with any of the choices- its want u want and what are willing to spend. When I auditioned the 1nt and 7nt i listened to the 803 or 804 but they were $3500 and I think worth every penny. But you have to draw the line somewhere on the cost..
    Mike

4. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

Yoon:
    Enough for what? And for whom - - me? In other words, it doesn't matter what I (or anyone else here) think, it's what you think.
    My suggestion is for you and your wife to go listen, and then decide what's best for the two of you.
    Larry

5. Hyun K

Hyun K Stunt Coordinator

I agree with what everyone else has already said. Only you can make the decision judging by your own standards and budget. I was at my local hifi dealer a little while ago and A/B'd a 602S3 & N804 just to hear what kind of differences would be present. I listened to Emanuel Ax's piano recording of Chopin Ballades. I've played piano seriously for over 12 years so I was very familiar with the material being played. Was the N804 worth almost SIX TIMES the cost of a 602??? NO WAY!!!! But that's just me. All the more reason for you to audition and judge for yourself.

6. Yoon Lee

Yoon Lee Stunt Coordinator

I thought CDM7NT is considerably more expensive (70% more than 604s3?), I just wanted to make sure CDM line's got equally good value for the price as 600 line. If it's just marginal for 70% or so more money, I won't call it a good value. BTW I WILL listen to both when I go buy the speaker this week.

7. Steve_Ma

Steve_Ma Second Unit

It's too subjective. Your doing all the right research, but as the other's have pointed out.....Is it worth it to YOU? When do YOU reach the point of diminishing marginal returns? All in all, though, it's a good problem to have, huh?

--Steve

8. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

Here's the point:
    "My wife told me I won't be satisfied with 600 series in a year."
    This is home theater, you may not be satisfied with anything in a year! The upgrade bug will always be with you. Sometimes you'll make a decision and question it for months afterward. My point - just buy what is best for you given your financial situation, buy what sounds best to you that you can afford. Upgrade is always possible later.[​IMG]

9. Michael_Mc

Michael_Mc Extra

Yoon Lee

I'll be curious to know what you think after you audition them. Just last week I audtioned both those speakers and liked the 604 S3 better. I'm not sure why, maybe it was the music or the electronics. I do plan to audition both again in the future.

Good Luck!

Mike

10. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

No matter which B&W package you choose, it WILL be good. The 600 series, IMHO, is the BEST deal in speakers available today at their price point. The 600 series is also B&W's best selling line, incorporating technology from the incredible Nautilus line.

The CDM line is also very good...and the Nautilus line is spectacular. It's basically $1000 step up with each line, i.e. 604 ($1400), CDM 9NT ($2500?), and the 804 ($3500). Are they each worth $1k more? To me, yes...YMMV. There is a law of diminishing returns when you reach the stratospheric prices vs. the performance. If your first love is music...you can't go wrong with the CDMs or the Nautilus. If your priority is HT, the 600 series are just fine and improvements with DD and DTS soundtracks on the higher end speakers are less noticable. For music, the difference is much more obvious depending on your musical tastes.

I started with a pair of 602s several years ago for my mains. They now reside in my bedroom, upgraded several times over the course of the last couple of years until I recently got a deal on Nautilus 802s. I never used the CDMs in my house, so I can't give an opinion either way on their performance...but the Nautilus line, no matter which model are nothing short of stunning for music listening.

We are all limited by budgets for our purchases...but in my opinion, you should buy the BEST speakers you can afford, for they will have the biggest impact on the sound of your system.

Jeremy

11. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

Well said Jeremy, I completely agree. [​IMG]
    BTW Jeremy, what electronics are you using with your 802's?