B&W 604s3, LCR600, and Denon 3803

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesHend, Jan 9, 2003.

1. JamesHend

JamesHend Auditioning

I'm currently in the process of obtaining new main speakers (B&W 604s3), a center channel (LCR600), and a receiver (Denon 3803). I am not able to have a sub or surround speakers at this current time due to space and noise limitations. The system will be used for 50% movies and 50% music. The music will be 75% alternative and hip hop (25% other). Will the 604s handle this type of music/setup ok? I know I'm supposed to use my own judgment about speakers because preferences differ, but there are no 604's near my location available to demo. The 603's sound good and I'm told that the 604s will have the lower end that I'm looking for. But at the same time, some say that B&W is mostly for movies, jazz, and classical music... I've checked out the Paradigm Monitor 11s but still prefer the B&Ws. I need something that’s going to be able to put out some bass because I can’t use a sub.

Additionally, the 604s will have to be only about 1 foot away from my 57" wide screen (Hitachi 57SWX20B). Does anyone predict these unshielded speakers causing major problems (besides minor convergence adjustments on the edges)?

Hopefully some more experienced HT people could advise me.

Thanks!

2. MWestyn

MWestyn Stunt Coordinator

The B&W 604s3 will behave just like the 603s3's...just with more punch. I wouldn't say they're only meant for movies, jazz, and classical music...any good speaker is meant for whatever you throw at it.
    You might want to audition a Marantz receiver with the B&W's, they tend to make a nice match. SR7300 should be comparable to the 3803.
    IMO, they'll perform just fine for your requirements, just don't expect earthshaking bass...for that you'll need an SVS[​IMG]
    Not sure about the shielding...anyone else?

3. RobertSchaez

RobertSchaez Stunt Coordinator

I don't think B&W shields any of their Main or Surround speakers, just the CC and LCR series. A quick call to the dealer will tell you for sure.

4. KevinCa

KevinCa Auditioning

Imho the 604 is quite different from the 603 in many aspects.
    The 604 isn't just a whole lot bigger, it sound very different too.
    The entire midrange area isn't as strong as with the 603, bass is a little more powerful but not really that much.
    The only big difference is that the 604 can produce more bass at high levels without distortion because it's a 3-way speaker whereas the 603 is a 2.5-way.
    This means the midrange speaker of the 603 is also reproducing bass signals thus putting a lot of strain on the speaker which has to handle the very delicate midrange.
    Personally i'd take the 604 over the 603 because i like the less-harsh sound. And also because i tend to play at kinda high levels, so i prefer a 3-way speaker. [​IMG]

5. Ian Lascell

Ian Lascell Agent

The 604s3 speakers are my next purchase (I already own the LCR600s3 and the 602s3). I sold my subwoofer to help finance the 604's and I don't intend to replace it. The new 604's each have two 7" aluminum bass drivers which should easily out-perform previous versions of the 604. I've been using the 602s3 as my main speakers for the past few months and I must say I prefer just the two B&W speakers for DVDs to my previous 5 speaker Klipsch set-up. They image so well that I contantly hear things to my rear left and right. The only place I don't hear anything is directly behind me. Not bad for just 2 front speakers. I have now added the LCR 600 and with the 2 midrange drivers, you get FULL performance out of this channel, both for DVDs and multichannel SACD and DVD-A. Although my old Klipsch had the undeniable ability to groove with Rock music, I found that they colored the music way too much and they were unable to control their highs even with very warm amplification. The B&Ws behave nicely so I don't get tired of listening to them. I think you hear that they are recommended for Jazz music because their mid-range will simply melt your ears it sounds so good. But I also listen to a lot of Rock, Rap, and Electronic music and I find that the B&Ws handle these really well. Don't expect the kind of bass you hear from cars at stoplights that shake the whole neighborhood. The B&W bass is bass that you can hear and it is very accurate and quick...no sloppiness. Can you tell I like these speakers? I think they sound great on my entire music collection and bring a level of detail, accuracy, and subtleness that makes movies a whole new experience for me.

6. Mikey N

Mikey N Auditioning

Can't say much about the 604's since I'm running 602s3's for my fronts. But as far as the shielding question, I had my 602's about 12" from my CRT-based Sony XBR and noticed some color distortion at the edges. When I moved them just a couple more inches away, the distortion disappeared. Since the 604's are larger, you may have to move them away even more.

I love my 602's, btw.

Michael

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I am using 604 Series 2 speakers for my mains. While my music tastes are different than yours, James, they sound wonderful with everything I've thrown at them -- rock, classical, jazz, blues. They do need a decent amount of power if you plan to drive the speakers at high levels, though.

I cannot offer comparisons between the 604 S2 and S3 series, but I notice no sonic differences between my 602 S2 and S3 surround speakers (I could no longer find any S2's when I added two rear center speakers).

8. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

You won't have any problems with shielding on your RPTV. The TV guts are in the bottom of your TV in the center. I have N802s only a foot from my 65" and don't have any problems even on the outer convergence.

Congrats on a killer rig. You will enjoy it.

Jeremy