B&W 604's series 3 or Klipsch RF5 series

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Bachich, Mar 8, 2002.

1. Joe Bachich

Joe Bachich Auditioning

Jan 5, 2002
    I know someone probably has asked a similar queastion and many responses were buy what is best for you etc.... but I really wanted to hear from people on both sides of the isle. I heard both and they both sounded great. I really just want some basic opinions from people who own them. BTW, I will be using them in a dedicated 11.5 x 22 HT mainy for watching movies. Thanks in advance
  2. Kevin McCurdy

Kevin McCurdy Stunt Coordinator

Oct 13, 2000
    I have a set of Klipsch RF-5's. I could not be happier. My previous setup had the RF-3's in the front, RC-3 center and RS-3's rear/side surrounds. I moved the RF-3's to the rear surround positions purchased the RC-7 center and sold the RC-3.

The RF-5'S definately made an improvement in the way my system sounds. They are not as forward or edgy as the RF-3's, but still have the dynamics for movies that I like. They are also better on music. I have not done a direct comparison with the other speakers you mentioned so I can't comment on the differences.

Good luck with your decision.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Dec 16, 1998
    I directly compared B&W's 604S2's with comparable Klipsch towers a few years ago. I preferred the B&W sound over the Klipsch horns during two-channel music auditioning. For HT, they both sounded excellent. I ended up with 604S2 mains, 602S2 surrounds and an LCR6 center. I still have the speakers, and still love their sound.

Klipsch makes a quality speaker and has many supporters here and on other forums. They have a distinctive sound that some people love, and other folks do not care for. I fell into the latter category. Let your own ears be the judge.