What's new

B&W 602's ... anything else ? (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I have done some listening a while back and was planning on getting 5 B&W 602 S3's for my theatre. I like the size of that speaker it's not too big and not too small. It sounds excellent in my opinion. And is front ported which is a must for me since I will be mounting them on the wall.

I have been looking around for a similar speaker at a similar price point to no avail. Is there something else I am missing I should take a listen to?

scott cerv

Stunt Coordinator
I MAY very soon be selling a pair of these. They were purchased on April 5th and not hokked up to anything until april 15th (pay day). There is a small (2mm x 3mm) little imperfection in the top where the grill meets the speaker. This was like this when I pulled it out of the box! You can't see it unless you are looking. Contact me at [email protected] if you have interest. Willing to part for $480US + shipping if my buddy comes through on a pair of 805's.
SC

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I don't know. All I know is when I auditioned speakers years ago nothing I listened to was even in the same league as the original 602 at the price range. At least in my opinion.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Scott, thanks for the offer, but I will be buying locally if I buy them. My dealer will give me a 5 year warranty, upgrades for life and local service. Plus I'm in Canada, which makes your price equal to a new set with all those perks. :)
Why are you selling them???

scott cerv

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I hear ya. My buddy might be part with his 805's and get me a good deal. I got a 7 year warranty I think from B&W, if they are charging you I'd look into it.
SC

Arnel Enero

Stunt Coordinator
James,

At that price point, it may be difficult to find another speaker that sounds like the B&W. So if you already like that "B&W sound", I suggest you go ahead and get them without hesitation.

In the search for a "better" speaker, I have gone through different brands but still kept coming back to B&W. I wasted lots of time and money (on trade-ins). The only consolation I get is that I got to experience many speakers that all sound totally different in my home.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
You may want to look at Mirages. I have a small set of Mirage speakers in my office that sound very nice indeed.

Steven Buckley

Auditioning
Does anyone know where I can find B&W 602 s2's for sale online, possibly closeout prices. Also if anyone has seen 602 s3's for under $600. Thanks

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
IMHO, nope. Auditioned other B&W's, Paradigms, Missions, Dynaudio, Polk, Energy, Def Techs all at around the $500-900 price range....it all came down to the 602's. Loved the sound and pricing (I got about 13% off) on S2's last summer.

I like the B&W sound so much I moved up to the CDM-NT line. I've also in the middle of selling my 602's and LCR6 center.

BTW, when series 3 was introduced, looks like the dealers around here had anticipated their release. I couldn't find another pair of 602's nor any 600 series 2 speakers (other than the powered 605's) anywhere locally. I think by now, all of the S2's are long gone. That's what lead me to move up the B&W line.

Bob

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
The dealer here was selling S2's for a long time after the release of the S3's they wouldn't put the S3's out till the S2's were gone! Most of their customers wouldn't know there was a new line coming, I kept asking if they had the S3's and they kept saying "yes they are in the back but we haven't "tested" them yet" THey still had S2's in stock so they wouldn't sell them basically. They had S3's of the 602.5 since it was new and the 603 which they had sold out of!

As far as S2's I could probably get those easy enough they do MANY trade-ups and there are usually used speakers there all the time.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Black vinyl or some other color of vinyl are the choices, I don't really care about that, they are going in a dedicated room.

Aaren

Auditioning
I just got a pair of 603 S3's and these are amazing. I just set 'em up yesterday.

As far as the finish goes: I got the black ash version and the finish looks like real wood, It is some sort of wood veneer. The lighter wood color looks really good too, but it would be too light for my room, much lighter finish than the Series2 used to be. Anyway, the only vinyl is on the front face. If you look at the pics on their web site(they show only the light wood color I believe), the gray parts are vinyl, and light wood color parts are veneer. In the black version the vinyl is black instead of grey, which really looks nice with the yellow speakers. Very professional construction overall.

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Sweet. These speakers just made my audition list. I found a dealer near me, Toledo, that carries B&W and Paradigm. I'll be making a trip soon to audition the 602's as well as some Studio 40's.

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I had the S2s and even though the look and feel like wood, I verified at the website (only shows series 3 now) that the both finishes are vinyl, not wood veneer. The CM series is where the real wood veneers start showing up in the B&W line.

Take a closer look at the "technical specifications" section for each speaker and it will tell you under "finish" what type of finish is used.

Sorry to burst your bubble. They still look great.

BTW, series two had the same black ash and natural cherry (as seen on the CDM-NT line). Series 3 has the sorrento/light oak (very close to maple in color = CM series) to replace the S2's natural cherry finish.

Bob

kevitra

Second Unit
I am thinking about the 600s as surrounds. I haven't listened to them yet. Any of you hear them? How are they? Other suggestions for B&W surrounds?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks