B&W 602 S3s not fit for my Sony STR-DE675?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by CarlosM, Dec 19, 2003.

1. CarlosM

CarlosM Stunt Coordinator

I've been getting some flack for running my b&w 602 S3s off this reciever (which i got for $50 from a friend). Ive been looking around, and see good things about the HK series, but im not seeing an HK series in 5.1 with higher output. the 130 and 230 are interesting models, and sold locally so i can compare them to my current setup, but at 45-50~ watts rms a chan, will that be sufficient for the speakers, which are rated at 25w-120w into 8ohms.

I will soon have an STF-2 to go along w/ my left and right 602 S3s, and not far beyond that, an LCR600 for the center is on the way.

I want something steady and dependable, but in a 5.1 setup with video switching capabilities as well.

2. Shane Morales

Shane Morales Second Unit

The HKs are rated very conservatively. From what I understand they'll power hungry speakers well enough.

If you have the $, check out Rotel. B&W + Rotel = SWEET.

3. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

Yamaha works great with B&Ws too...if you don't want to spend the money on Rotel.

4. Percell

Percell Extra

I have B&W 602 S3 and I am running them on a Denon 4802R.
    Sounds great to me....

5. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

"Denon 4802R"

Did you get it for $50 bucks? [​IMG] Tell me where, so I can get one.[​IMG]

Just thought I'd have some fun. The Denon is a wonderful piece of equipment but a little out of the price class of what CarlosM is talking about.

I'd second the H/K. Their amps are rated more accurately than other companies and appear weaker, but are actually more powerful than others at their price point. You can find the 525 for between $500 and $600 (new). They'd handle the 602's just fine.

6. CarlosM

yeah, around 500 is my high limit.

that HK 525 is a 7.1 system, however, and im not interested in that many channels. I just want a 5.1 system (i wont have room in coming years for more). The problem is i cant find farely new recievers from HK, in 5.1, with more than 50 watts a channel.

Im looking now at a Denon AVR1604. It has 75 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The H/Ks with 50w will be substantially more power than the Sony. H/Ks ratings tend to be honest, not conservative. If it says 50w, it will deliever that or more. The speakers would be happier with more power, but I'd say you will be OK with a $500 H/K. At this price point, I'd take H/K over Denon.

8. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Carlos what most people don't understand is that companies don't tend to rate there WPC honestly. HK is one of the few that does. Any reciever within the same price range of the HK will deliver less watts per channel, I garuntee it. (unless your finding something off of EBay)

I have the AVR-225 and the AVR-230 and let me say they are both great. If you go to the store and ask the guy to perhaps put on a pair of power-hungry speakers with the reciever you will see that it will easily be able to power them, alot more than the Sony.

I would definantly say take a look at either a refurbished AVR-225 or a new AVR-230.

And just for some facts on watts and how HK rates up against all of the other reciever there is a link below, you will see all the HK's passed the tests with flying colors, and actually gave out more power than rated. [​IMG]

BTW, this is not intended to start a flame.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Holl...1/ratevsac.htm

9. CarlosM

Thanks chris, a very interesting table (though I wish it had a wider selection of recievers).

What benefits are there on the 230 over the 130, or differences from the 230 to the 225? From what i can see vs. the 130, 5 more watts a channel, and an extra channel. Im only interesting in 5.1, however.

the 225 at 55 watts a channel seems a nice difference, so i wonder what features are lost/gained, between the "old" and "new" models

Thoughts?

10. MarkB

MarkB Extra

Carlos,

Just wanted to let you know that you should not rule out 7.1 systems. If a receiver is 7.1 it will also support 5.1. You don't need to add the extra speakers unless you want too. Almost all new units coming out now support 7.1. It will continue to get more difficult to find 5.1 only receivers unless you are looking at old models.

As far as brands/models, just try to narrow it down to both the features/price that meets your needs. Once you do that try to audition. Both HK and Denon make good products and I'm sure you'll be pleased with either one.

Mark

11. BruceTM

BruceTM Agent

I also have a Yamaha receiver and have auditioned a pair B&W
    602s3 speakers. In fact I tried out this pair on two separate Yamaha receivers. Either both of the receivers were underpowered or there was a problem with them matching the 602's. Any pair of speakers sounded better on my receiver than the 602's, including a 25 year old pair of Technics. It is my belief that it is not a good idea to run these through BB quality components. Denon or HK might be ok, but I would probably go the rotel route. Since I'm not able or willing to dish out those kind of dollars, I still have my Yamaha with some Axiom m22ti's.

12. CarlosM

I realize that, MarkB, but id rather pay more money for more power per channel, than the feature of 7.1. Thats why id rather focus on the 5.1 so more price can be devoted towards other features, not just in channels i wont be using.

13. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Well the 125 and 130 are basically the same. The 130 is just a new design for the most part. The 125/130 have no OnScreenDisplay, no EZSet remote, and those little extra's here and there. It's also a 5.1 reciever.

Now the 225 and 230 are somewhat different.

The 225 is a 5.1 reciever, 55WPC, has an OSD, EZSet remote (EZSet is a SPL built in to automatically calibrate your sound levels). The 225 also has 1 more A/V input than the 125, and has an IR in/out... as well as it's a universal remote, although i've never tried to use it as one.

The 230 is something completely different. It has only 50WPC but is a 6.1 reciever. It has component video inputs, and of course the new looks. Other than that the differences are small, such as a new microprocessor and such.

I think that if you want a 5.1 setup and you don't need component video or don't plan on using any video switching through your reciever the 225 would probably be the best. It's not going to break your bank and it's going to deliver some very good performance.

If you are going to do video switching through the reciever on the other hand and want that extra rear-center channel then the 230 might be a better choice.

Also, if you have a CircuitCity around you, take the 230 home and give it a try. CircuitCity has a 30 day policy where if you don't like it, just return it and they give you all your money back. That's the best way to try it out and see how you like it.

Good luck!

14. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Well, bascially, this won't happen. As you start getting into better amps, you will undoubtedly get 7.1 as a defualt in current receivers. You aren't going to find a NEW 5.1 receiver that is better than a 7.1 receiver from H/K, Marantz, Denon, Onkyo etc...

15. CarlosM

Ok Chris.

I do have a CC near me, and video switching is a feature i enjoy right now on my sony, and would like to continue using it.

Ill take the 230 home and give it a try. jandr dot com has it onsale, authorized, for a much better deal (if i decide to move on it)

thanks for the advice [​IMG]