B&W 601s3 or Wharfedale Pro's?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Tien_N, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Tien_N

Tien_N Agent

Hello Everyone,
    I am currently in the market for some nice bookshelf speakers. So far I have my eye on two companies...B&W and Wharfedale.

I am interested in the B&W 601 s3, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2, and Wharfedale Pacific Evo-10 . The 601s and the diamond look almost identical but I only got a chance to listen to the 601s and they sound great. I know they are both different companies but both speakers incorporate the same kevlar technology. Both won numerous awards and one is much cheaper than the other. I just came across the Evo-10 which looks awesome! Has anyone had any experience with the Wharfedale Diamonds and the Pacific evolution series? And could give me some feedback on them?

I won't mind the B&Ws but I don't mind getting the Wharfedales if they sound just as great for a much better price!

All feedback much appreciated.

2. Nathan J

Nathan J Stunt Coordinator

I have never heard the Wharfedales...but I love the way B&W's sound.

3. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

As an owner of both B&W and Wharfedales I can't imagine that the two sets of speakers you're looking at sound comparable. However, I'm sure that the Wharf's sound quite nice.

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Obviously you would have to audition both to gauge how each sounds, but I cannot see either the evo's or pacifics sounding as good as the 601's. I have heard the pacifics, and while nice for the price, they do not compare to the 601's head to head.

5. sheldon M.

sheldon M. Stunt Coordinator

I don't know about the Evo 10's but the Evo 30's won a comparison in a recent What Hifi magazine against five other speakers. The Evo line is very new so there has not been much out on them in the press but judging from that article they seem to be very nice speakers. I have the Diamond 8.3 and I think they are great speakers. The Evos are beautiful to look at thats for sure

6. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

I have a set of 8.3's also and IMO they are great sounding speakers.
    In their price range I don't think anything comes close.
    The EVO seies are damn nice that's for sure.

7. Mike Bassi

Mike Bassi Stunt Coordinator

I have always been a B&W guy and just heard the wharfedale Pacific series and I was blown away. For the price nothing I have heard comes close, at least to my ears. I love B&W but damn if you can't beat the sound for the price of the wharfedales. Very very nice.

Cheers
    Mike

8. Lam Nguyen

Lam Nguyen Stunt Coordinator

I use to own Wharfedales and now own B&W's speakers. The kind of music you listen to is very important in choosing speakers. To me the Wharfedales that I had did not sound good with fast paced music like techno or hip hop, it had trouble keeping up, their speakers tend to have a laidback sound. The B&W's are more versatile with music, the sound is more lively and the highs are more detailed. I've read some good things about the Wharf 8.2. But the best way to make a decision is to find a way to listen to them, I bet they all sound good but very different as well. Good Luck!