B&W 601 S3 and Banana plugs???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Dean_S, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I got a pair of B&W 601s a few weeks ago and hooked 'em up using some speaker wire I had laying around, bare wire connection. Last night I decided to rewire with the larger gauge wire I typically use and I put the bananas on the wire and then discovered that I could not plug them into these speakers. There is a plastic plug covering what should be the hole for the banana plug. My question is do these plugs just pop out and then the banana will work??? The owners manual mentions that the speaker accepts 4mm banana plugs but makes no mention of needing to do anything to the speaker to be able to make this type of connection work.

2. EvanW

EvanW Stunt Coordinator

Yes. there should be a center plastic piece that pops out some are harder to get out than others, i know some polk bookshelfs put me threw h#ll trying to get them out, but my yamahas just poped right off. If for some reason you cant get them off or they dont come off go get some spades.

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    For the Polks (and possibly the B&Ws as well), you just unscrew the top completely and the plugs come right out.

4. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I should have mentioned this. I did unscrew/remove the top piece and those plugs are in there tight. I tried my fingernail and a little blade I carry on my keyring, neither could get it to budge. Have a tool that I think I can use to push it out from the backside thru the hole in the post. I didn't want to try that until I was sure the plug was supposed to pop out.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

I have B&W 602 & 604 Series 2 speakers, and those plastic plugs threw me for a loop when I first looked at them, too. The plugs do come out (I think I used needle-nose pliers), and your banana plugs will fit fine in the hole.

6. Dean_S

Dean_S Second Unit

I got them out. 2 of the 4 were easy, the other two needed a push from the backside with a small hook tool. Thanks for the help. I was using the port plugs on the speakers b/c they were very boomy before breaking in (9" from rear wall), but after leaving them playing all day when I'm gone for a week they now sound better without the port plugs. I was a little disappointed with them until now.

7. ChrisCan

ChrisCan Agent

It's strange but there is some new British law that makes them plug the banana plug ports.
    I think there is an A/C power plug that is common in the UK that fits in there as well. What 240V would do in there I don't want to think about[​IMG]