B&W: 600's vs. CDM

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geoff H, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Geoff H

Geoff H Stunt Coordinator

I currently have the 602 s3 as mains, I'm thinking of upgrading to CDM 9NT. Anyone A/B these, or have experience moving from the 600 series? Is the CDM 9NT worth 2k more?

Yamaha rxv-1300 pre/pro
    Rotel 1075 Amp.

TIA,

Geoff

2. jeff_coil

jeff_coil Stunt Coordinator

Hi Geoff Cost is kind of a relative thing. However I have the 9 and 7 CDM NT's. I started with the 603 and 602's so I am kind of biased. I took advantage of the dealers upgrade policy and pulled the trigger and never thought about it. In fact I wanted the CDM's in the first place but couldn't get them initially so I got the 600's and upgraded with in a few months. IMO the mids and highs are more defined than the 600's as well as a...hard to describe but the bass is more musical- different driver. For me it was worth it but 2K is a bunch of cash which you can only justify. The good news is the B&W's hold their value for resell even if there is no upgrade option.

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

My .02, it depends a lot on your listening preferences. Are you using your HT as a music system as well? If so, then I can see why you have the upgrade bug.
    In my experience, I fell in love with the B&W CDM7 SEs long ago. I ended up with the bookshelf CDM1 SEs and the matching center channel. I went with 601S2s for my rears. I have had this setup for two years now and I couldn't be more satisfied. Great setup for either watching movies, watching DVD concerts or listening to stereo.

Going from the 602s to the 9NTs is quite a jump, but I notice from you equipment list that you're enthusiastic about this expensive hobby. It certainly coldn't hurt to give the 9NTs a trial run in your system to see how they sound.

Good Luck.

4. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Geoff,
    I can't tell you whether the difference is worth the money, but I can tell you why I chose the 7NT over the 602's. I reviewed the 602's, 7NT, 9NT, and 805's. The music I used to review was very precise. I focused many times on a bell in one of the passages (Several very expensive speakers could not represent the bell sound well enough to tell what it was!). The 7NT, 9NT, and 805's were WAY in front of the 602, IMO. I stuck with the 7NT. I couldn't justify the difference in price to go any higher. (Actually, I bought an SVS sub for the difference between the 7NT and 9NT, definitely a good move. If I had budget for both, who knows what I would have done.)

So I drew the line at the 7NT.

Good luck,

Joe