B&W 600 Series Owners...I need some advice

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EGM, Jul 21, 2004.

1. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Hello all...

My wife surprised me for my 30th birthday this year by getting me the B&W speakers I have been wanting for awhile. She did a great job, buying me a pair of 602S3 and the LCR60. However, she has left the purchase of the surround speakers to me, as she was unsure of which ones to get.

While I would love in theory to get two more 602S3s, I don't think it is neccessary. So I was checking out the 600 and 601 S3 for my rear surrounds. For those of you with experiece with the B&W 600 series, is one better suited than the other for this? Or should I just go with the old adage that bigger is better and get the 601S3s?

Just for reference, I am dealing with a space that is about 15x20, so the 600s might do the trick.

Thanks in advance for all your input!

GM

2. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have 604's front, a CC6 center, and 601's rear, all coupled with a HSU 1225 sub. All are series 1.

I did not consider the 600's for the rears, so I don't really know the difference, but I would speculate that the 601 plays a tad lower.

I like to use a 80hz crossover, so I want to make sure that all speaker positions can handle 80hz, or come very close. So, if you know what crossover you will be using (assuming you do have a sub), I would use that to help me choose.

BGL

3. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the input. I hadn't considered the need for my surrounds to handle a lower range. I do have my crossover set at 80hz when I have my sub on (live in an apartment, so sub is not always an option).

I am leaning toward the 601s. If you don't mind me asking, what receiver or seperates do you have driving your setup?

Thanks

GM

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

NAD 762 (currently in the shop[​IMG]), but a nice piece when its 100% functional. And I consider it a great pairing with the B&Ws. Very smooth, and I can play it as loud as I dare, and things stay nice and clean. And I am talking seriously LOUD here....at least with Mom and Daughther are out!

I also use a Audiocontrol Bijou EQ tapped in between the pre outs and power amp ins. And an ICBM for BM duties.

As for the surrounds, while all channels in a DD or DTS system are capable of full range signals, there is some debate as to how many movies actually mix any low bass in to the surrounds.

But I like to know that I am not missing anything. If your surrounds are incapable of playing as low as the crossover, there is the potential that you might miss something. Conversly, if you crossover above 80hz to match a smallish surround, you start getting into the range where you can localize the sub.

BGL

5. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I have 601s as surrounds in my media room (602s up front & lcr600 center) powered by Onkyo equipment.

My system balances nicely with SACD, DVD-A, CDs (upconverted to 5.1), and concert DVDs - which use the surrounds more (and at a lower freq) than most movies. I originally wanted the 600s so I could hang them on the wall. This probably would have sufficed if I had stuck to "only" movies. Of course, music sounded so good on my system, I started getting more and more into it (funny what good speakers will do).

6. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

And you start cutting out the rich fullness of the 602s (which can go low).

7. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

And it absolutely rips the balls of the 604s!

When I bought 'em, the main criteria was big floor standers that my new daughter could not knock over.

If I had to assemble the system today, I would not spend the $$$ on 604s, since the 602's would suffice. I do believe in sub/sat arrangements to free up horsepower on the receiver, but there is no point in paying for bass twice as my local NAD dealer likes to say.

BGL

8. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

I hear ya!

9. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Thats why I got hefty speaker stands.

10. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys...I appreciate the input.

I was considering the LCR600 after reading a number of B&W 602 owners say that it matches up better that the LCR60. I listened to the 602s with the LCR60 at the dealer's, but they didn't have the LCR600 setup for an A/B comparision. The 60 sounded fine, but am I really missing something here?

GM

11. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Rob,

That's another thing I need to consider...what stands did you get for your 602s? I am coming from floorstanding models as my mains so I haven't had to look into this before.

GM

12. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

Im sure I was one of them, so I guess that makes me biased. A lot of stuff comes from that center channel. Im glad I have it.

13. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

14. EGM

EGM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Rob,

I may just have to bite the bullet and upgrade to the LCR600. The good thing is that since my wife bought the speakers at Myer Emco, I can use their upgrade policy to just pay the difference.

I guess gravity is the only thing keeping your 602s on your stand, eh? I am glad I don't have kids (yet). I would be worrying about an accident every day.

GM

15. Rob Kramer

Rob Kramer Second Unit

The stands are heavy (all steel), they have a decent size base, and they can be filled with sand. Its a pretty stable platform (a little less so with the lighter 601s on the taller stands - but they are in the corners, behind the furniture).

My little girl, 3 now, knows not to touch the daddy's stuff. She has her own "stuff" (electronics) - and even her own tools (plastic, of course). Thank God for little girls.[​IMG]

16. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Actually, I am OK with the blend in the room with 80Hz all around.

Without trying to derail the thread, the ICBM was purchased to sort out the FUBAR BM of my uni-player (Pio 45a). Not quite as FUBAR as some, but it was still a huge step forward when it arrived. Secondly, my EQ is THX, and expects 80 Hz crossovers acrosss all channels (the range of adjustmenmt assumes 20-80hz for the sub, 80 to 800hz for the front three), so that was another reason.

SO, initially, it was just used on the 6CH out from the Pio, but reading a big long thread about crossover slopes, I got the bug to try it in place of the crossover in the receiver. Since I have pre out/power amp in on all channels, it was a pretty easy thing to do.

The crossovers on my receiver were not symmetrical (the HP was 12db/octave, and the LP 24dB/Octave). The ICBM is 12 and 12, plus there i sa switch to set the HP to 36dB/octave. Seems that symmetrical crossovers is a good thing, so that how its hooked up at the moment.

Now, I am not sure if its better or not, as I was previously happy with the bass, but it is surely no worse.

I will now return the thread to its originally scheduled purpose.[​IMG]

BGL

17. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

If I had my choice between buying the DM601s for the rear, or buying the 600s and the LCR600, I'd go with the second option.

There's just tooo much information that comes out of the center channel to skimp on that vs. the surround.

Though I would go with the 600 center and 601s. [​IMG]

That's why I love the 604s, lcr600 and 4x602s!!! [​IMG]