B&W 600 Series Owners: I Need Help Picking Rears (Mono or dipole?)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by David Glenn, Jun 7, 2003.

1. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

I recently picked up a pair of 4 month old mint trade-in 603 S3s for $600 and an LCR 600 S3 for $300. I'm very happy with them.

I'm currently using some inexpensive Cambridge soundworks Ensemble (bipoles) for my rears. Should I replace them with better bipoles or dipoles? Or should I stick with B&Ws? If B&Ws, should I go for the 600 or 601s?

I'm not sure if I would prefer the precision of the direct radiating rears or the more diffuse and enveloping sound I've been used to with my bipoles.

Perhaps I should seek out an old B&W DS6?

Opinions please...

Edit to add My room dimensions:

Dedicated Basement HT - Enclosed 20L x 12W x7H

2. Alan Kurland

Alan Kurland Stunt Coordinator

I've had experience with a setup similar. My original main speakers were the 601s. I then bought the 602s and moved the 601s to rear. For a short time I had bipolar speakers, but I was inimpressed and wanted more sound accuracy that current soundtracks offer. I moved up more - and currently have the n804s front, HTM center, and moved my 602s to the rear, which they have been handling commendably. Please don't go for the DS6, with todays sound systems, you'll be much better going for direct radiating system - I suggest the 602s if possible, otherwise the 601s will be fine.

3. Pete Jennings

Pete Jennings Second Unit

I have a Series 2 B&W 602/601/LCR6 setup. I did *not* audition bi-poles before I bought the 601's for the rear. I expected to get into more 5 channel music than I actually have, and wanted direct radiators. The 601's happened to make great rears for theater also. If they are positioned corectly, it is not easy to pinpoint them. Fly-by's and depth charge attacks are really impressive! [​IMG]

My $.02.

Pete

4. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

I use the 600's as rears (602 fronts/LCR60 center) & am very happy with them.

5. David Glenn

David Glenn Second Unit

Thanks to everyone who has responded.

Alan,

Don't you think 602 rears would be too large for my size room?

6. Myki Cantero

Myki Cantero Stunt Coordinator

If you plan to listen to DVD-Audio in the future, then go direct radiating rears. I went a step further by making sure that my fronts and rears are exactly the same.

I only have a 4m x 3m room so I went with 2 pairs 601S3, an LCR60, and a small ASW300 sub. Am very happy with it.