B&W 600 series or Paradigm Monitors which of the 2 are better sounding...

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by EddyObregon, Jan 30, 2004.

1. EddyObregon

EddyObregon Stunt Coordinator

I am lookign to buy either a B&W 601 or the Paradigm Mini Monitors or Monitors 3. How do both of these compare with each other. I woudl like some advise from guys that have heard both of these speakers before.

2. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Eddy,

Ultimately your ears are the only ones who can answer that question. Personally I prefer the B&W sound. After demoing the 602s and LCR 600 I was blown away. The Paradigms just didn't do as much for me. Now granted, each speaker was at different dealers, so room acoustics could have played a part (as well as different equipment).

If you are looking at going with the 600 series B&Ws, I would highly recommend spending a bit of extra money and get the 602s. They sound much better IMO than the 601s. Good luck searching for speakers!

3. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

It's been a few years so I don't remember the details of my evaluation, but I chose the 601S2s over Paradigm for my surrounds. I liked the punch of these speakers, even without the aid of a sub. You have to do your own comparisons, though. Paradigm makes quality speakers. I use some Paradigm all-weather speakers for my patio.

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    To me, the 600 series and the Monitor line are fairly different. I prefer the 600s for music, but overall the Monitors were more listenable over long periods and worked very well for HT.

I completely agree about going with the 602s vs the 601s.

In this price range, you will also want to consider Axiom. Closer to the B&Ws, cost less than either.

5. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I didn't like the 600 series, I found them very unnatural and fatiguing. As such i bought the mini-monitors over the 601s, through a very careful audition. I strongly recommend you listen to both very carefully, as people have very different preferences, as evidenced in this thread.

I've since traded in my mini-monitors for a big jump to dynaudios, once again, didn't care for the B&W 700 series. Much better than the 600 series(I actually didn't care for them that much), but too thin for my very broad music tastes.

So you should definitely audition them carefully.

6. Joel()Les

Joel()Les Agent

I just listened to the 602s and liked them very much, but the price may be getting up there. Only issue I had was a little bit of buzzines on a piano piece in the bottom end.

7. EddyObregon

ok i listened to the mini monitors and damn what a sound for a small speaker. I thought it was better than the B&W 303 and 601. The guy told me that why go with the monitors 3 if your goign to use a sub anyways he said save the money and go with the monitors. Now heres one thing is the cc370 the best matchign center for this speaker and since i have limited back space will paradigms atom make a good surround speaker with the mini as mains and cc370 as center. Also goign to use a hsu vtf2 as a sub. What do you think of this set up... the mini as surrounds will be to big for me back there i need something smaller that can match with my mains.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Sounds like that will be a stellar setup. Atoms should be great for surrounds. Atoms are AMAZING little speakers, and should mate very well with the monitor series.

I would hesitate before going to monitor 3s, they have larger drivers, and may sound different, so i would stick with the mini-monitors unless you can audition the 3s and make sure they are better. I've heard mixed feelings on them, some people liking them less because of a larger/clumsier driver. I've not heard them, but it's something you should take note of, and audition those if you are thinking of going monitor 3s.

Not familiar with Hsu subs, but given they have a very good reputation along with SVS,( i have an SVS) it should be an awesome sub, and an awesome setup. I had my mini-monitors for more than a year, and they were GREAT on music. You will enjoy.

And make sure you get the 370 matching center, which you are doing it seems. Awesome setup!

[​IMG]

9. EddyObregon

how do the mini monitors sound with movies. I have a 4 year old denon reciever that pushes out 70 watts per channel shoudl i upgrade in order to get the best sound out of these speakers. Also can anyone here tell me if the atoms make good surrounds if someone has mini monitors as mains. or shoudl i go bigger in the backs. I saw that the atoms are so cheap there 180 a pair. Do you think that atoms will beat my 5 year old sattelite infinity little speakers that i have now in the rears. I saw that paradigm has a titan model and a focus model how do these compare vs the atom for surrounds.

10. EddyObregon

guys do you think a hsu stf-2 or vtf-2 sub will sound better with this system than a paradigm pdr12. I heard the 12 and thought it was allright do you think the hsu sub will do a better job matchign my speakers and out producing the pdr12

11. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

The Atoms are very good, but I swapped mine out for Titans for a little more extension. Even crossed over, I could still tell the difference. I had Monitor 5s, a near perfect match for the CC370, with Titans for surrounds and I was happy with this setup for years. It was just recently that I sold the 5s and CC370, but I am still using the Titans as surrounds.

I'm not a big fan of the older Monitor 3s, but the new front ported design is a little better. I'd still choose Minis or 5s over them.

I have a VTF-2 and I'd say it is a very good choice for the price, but you could get a SVS 25-31 for a little more. I have not heard the STF-2, but it should sound the same as the VTF-2 in extension mode, so if you were looking to spend a little less...

12. EddyObregon

so with the titans how much more are they and are they better than the atoms. Also are they a bigger speaker and how do i stick them up on the back wall.

13. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I'd probably just go with the atoms. They are very close, and both damn nice. Some people even prefer the atoms. I own titans, and like them very much. I will be using atoms as surrounds, though they will not match my mains (dynaudios).

14. Owen Bartley

Owen Bartley Second Unit

The Atoms are a great surround speaker, especially if you're tight for space. A friend of mine uses phantoms up front and Atoms in the rear and it sounds really good. I have had Mini Monitors for about 2 years now and am still very happy with them (using a Denon 2802, I like the matchup).

15. cabreau

cabreau Second Unit

I love LOVE LOVE my Paradigms.

The B&W's that I heard (I don't remember which ones they were) sounded GREAT. Very tight and precise sounding, I really liked them.

I jumped straight from Atoms to Paradigm's Studio line and have been very satisfied. I would not suggest getting the CC-370, or if you plan to, at least give a listen to the CC-170 and CC-470. The CC-170 reproduced voices much better, in my opinion, and wasn't as muddy as the 370. The CC-470 had jaw-dropping accuracy and clearness over the cc-370. Remember these are just my ears, but I thought that the CC-470 was so much better than the 370, that I jumped right past the monitor line and straight up to Studios (I do a LOT of home theater, so matching the center was very important to me). I do not regret my decision at all.

Many will argue that the cc-370 is leagues better than the CC-170, which only goes to prove the points of everyone who has replied to you so far...it depends on your ears.

16. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

The one thing that sticks out in my head when I auditioned, was that the Minis require a little more punch to really make them work, they sound great, but for my purposes and my low-level receiver, It wasn't a sound buy.(I don't know if your dennon is conservative in it's power ratings but check with your salesman, or better yet, the folks here.)

17. Ernie Estrella

Ernie Estrella Stunt Coordinator

Ernie
    I have the CC-370 with my mini-monitors and love the match up. I drive them with a Yahmaha receiver and it sounds great. I also got a PDR-10 to go with it. I will probably get the atoms later but I looked at the 600S3 because the 601's just didn't give me any justification that I was getting $150 worth more than the 600s. Ultimately I liked the sound of Paradigm Mini-monitors slightly better and got a better price than the B&Ws.

18. Dan Halchak

Dan Halchak Stunt Coordinator

To be honest, if you go B&W, you need to really look at the DM602 S3s...those speakers sound amazing, and you can tell where the sound difference is on the 602s vs 601s.

To me the 600s just didn't cut it really at all, they are decent, but definitely lacking in my opinion. The 601s were definitely better sounding, but still (to me) sounded like they could only be used as a surround speaker, not a set of mains. The 602s were the first in the 600 series that I thought could work as a good set up for the front mains. Though I think the whole 4 or 5 or 6 602s would sound awesome!!!!

I guess it just depends on what sound you are looking for and what size you have to keep it in. I went with all the big guns and definitely love the sound they produce.

19. EddyObregon

so atoms make a great surroudn speaker if i have mini monitors up front and cc370 in the center. I will be sitting approximately 4 feet from rears. are they hard to hook up in a corner wall

20. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Watch how far you place them from the rear wall, as they are rear ported, a shelf is probably not a good idea unless it allows you to move the speaker out from the wall a bit. Some rear brackets will allow you enough clearance, I believe the Atoms have threaded inserts. Check with your dealer they may sell a bracket or point you in the right direction.