B&W 600 - How well does S2 and S3 match up?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Aaron H, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Aaron H

Aaron H Supporting Actor

I recently got a great deal on a 5 speaker set of B&W's, all series 2. I got the 602's, 601's and the CC6. After reading some posts on these speakers, I see that the majority of the people have said that the LCR6 is a substantial upgrade to the CC6 for the center channel. I have been searching, but haven't seen any LCR6's for sale, either on audiogon or ebay.

I called the local B&W dealer and they seemed to think that the LCR60 and LCR600 S3 would match up ok with my speakers. What do you think about that? Is it worth holding out for a LCR6, or do you think it'd be ok to go with one of the Series 3 speakers?

Thanks, Aaron

2. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

I don't know about the S2 and S3, but I'll tell you my DM602 fronts work very well with my S2 rears. Based on my experience I'd say go for it.

3. Arron H

Arron H Second Unit

You may want to see if the dealer will let you do a home audition with the LCR60 & LCR600. That way, you could compare the CC6 to the LCR60&600 directly and see if there's a huge difference. I would suggest listening with the center channel set to small for your comparison. This is probably the best way to see if there is any difference and to see if the S2 602s & S3 center speakers will work together.

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

While I have not compared the Series 2 & Series 3 center channels, I do have a mixture of 602 S2 and 602 S3's for the rear surrounds, since I could not find any S2's when I added my rear center speakers this summer. I cannot distinguish any difference between the S2 and S3's in my setup -- they match very well.