B&W 5.1 Speaker System for $999...Good deal?

eshoukry93

Auditioning
Real Name
ehab
I went into a home theater store today and they were offering the Bower and Wilkins M1 Speaker system with 4 speakers, center channel, and 10" sub for $999. I haven't seen these speakers mentioned too much and was wondering what you guys thought about this package? I hear the subs on the B&W's are not that great.

I also went to Best Buy and listened to the Mirage Omnisat system with their 8" sub for approximately the same price. I liked the way that sounded too and the sub had plenty of power.

I guess if they are both the same price, do you guys have an opinion either way?

Thanks.

Nick:G

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Gallegos
That B&W package is actually not a bad deal, considering you get 5 M1 speakers ($200/ea. when sold separately) plus the AS-2 subwoofer ($500 separately) for that price. You're essentially getting a free 10" 150W sub. Plus, the M1's include wall brackets and table stands in the box (floor stands are available as a relatively expensive option at $175/ea.).

The AS-2 isn't the greatest sub I've heard, but can't expect the world from a $1,000 speaker package. It matches up with the M1's well and the system actually sounds pretty good as a small room/apartment home theater system with decent amplification.

Have you listened to the M-1 package at the store yet? Let your ears decide which is better.

Billo

Auditioning
Real Name
Bill O'Day
Sorry I replied to the wrong person,

Can you tell me where you got that price quote? I am interested in purchasing them and haven seen then any where close to $999.

That is an excellent price.

Billo

CB750

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bill
I own that B&W system If you are getting 5, M-1 monitors and the 10" AS-2 sub for $999 you are getting a very good deal as I paid $200 more. After having them for 2 years I am very happy with the system. I liked them better than any of the other small 5.1 satellite systems that I listened too, which included Mirage nano's, Dif Tech 600, 800, 1000, Energy take 5, and a couple of Klispch. I found that they did have a stronger mid range and very clean highs. Dialog from video sources is very clear and they do a nice job on music. The speakers are heavy for their size and are of a quality build. The speaker wires connect on the bottom of the stand with screws. They allow you the option to either port or unport the rear of the enclosure. The mounting hardware is really slick.as it allows you swivel the speaker in the horizontal or vertical position on its chrome stand. They also include the hardware you will need to mount the speakers on a wall in either the horizontal or vertical position.

While this system meets my needs I am a not a person who likes a over powering bass. Some may feel the AS-2 sub may be a little weak compared to other subs like SVS which sell for about the same $500 list price. But all in all it does work well as a total 5.1 system.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Originally Posted by Billo
Can you tell me where you got that price quote? I am interested in purchasing them and haven seen then any where close to $999.

They were purchased over 4 years ago - chances are a lot has changed since then.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaMovieMaestro