What's new

B&W 303....good? (1 Viewer)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just wondering, anyone have experience with the B&W 303? I keep reading glowing review after glowing review regarding these speakers. And only $300.00/pair?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I used to have 302s as rears in my system. Really nice speakers. I'm sure the 303s are even better.

GregY

Stunt Coordinator
I actually listened to these quite a bit when I was looking for speakers. They are great speakers for a great price. Definately go with a sub if you are using them as mains. Other than that they are a great speaker at a reasonable price.

Brian E

Screenwriter
I checked them out last month. They sounded great to me. I ended up going with the 600 S3's instead, but the 303's were real nice too.

John_VI

Second Unit
I also auditioned them after reading the glowing review in Home Theater Magazine, and I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed. Probably because the review hyped the speakers as the second coming, but at the end of the day, they are just bookshelf speakers. Damed good bookshelf speakers, but bookshelfs nonetheless.

But by all means listen to them. They might suit your fancy! Good luck!

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Thanks everyone for the opinions. The 303s will be on my short list of speakers to listen to. Will be checking out the Tannoy MX series and the new offerings from KEF as well. Any opinions on these?

Juan M

Stunt Coordinator
Anybody know how much the LCR3 (matching center) typically costs?

PS - just curious...anybody know the difference in tweeter for 300 series vs. 600 series 3? The tweeter is actually 1 mm bigger in 303 (1 x 26 mm) vs. the 600/601 (1x25 mm) per the specs on their site...

Paul Seward

Agent
I just bought a set of the 303s and I am VERY happy. They sound amazing with music and movies with my Dennon. They are not as bright as many of the other speakers but they are very acuarate. The center also matches up very nicely to the 303s.

It is not that great at the super lows though. But that is what my SVS 20-39 is for. =)

IMHO these were the best sounding speakers for the price.

Paul

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
For those who are interested, I just spoke with the local dealer here regarding Tannoy and KEF. Looks like the Tannoy's MX Series has been discontinued, and a line coming at the end of this month. He said they sould sound the same as any changes with be cosmetic. As for KEF, I an interested in the new KEF Q1
qseries1_image_small.jpg
, but they retail for $450/pair, which puts them in direct competition with B&W's 601S3. I will go check them out. As for the B&W 303, since they are not magnetically shielded, anyone have problems with discoloration of the TV monitors when placed close to the speakers?

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I have 3 303's accross my front soundstage, I love them, I had a 601 on loan because one of the 303's was dead and I couldn't tell the difference, the 602 definetely is better than the 303 but the 601 (at least to me at home) I couldn't tell the difference. The 601 at the store though seemed more open. Can't comment on the LC3 as I use a 303 for the centre, makes the soundstage "perfect". I also recommend a good sub, one review I read said one is not really required but even just listenting to music they don't go low enough for anything. And B&W's low end (to me anyways) always seems a little on the melow side.

P.S. Your dealer can probably shield them for you.

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I was also dissappointed with the 303's when I heard them but maybe they were not broken in? Thought they were a step down from the old 302's. Recently heard the 601S3 and they are much improved. The cabinet has better bracing from what I understand.

Chip E

Screenwriter
I have four B&W 303's & LCR3 center in my bedroom mated with an Integra 6.2 and Panny RP-91. The B&W's area little harsh for my liking... maybe they need to break in some more or, a different receiver...i dunno.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
I went to my local KEF dealer (House of Music in San Francisco) to check out the new Q1. Man, this is one beautiful speaker. Real wood veneer and they sounded great. Very pinpoint imaging and excellent bass response for a bookshelf speaker. $450.00/pair. Maybe I will just go ahead and get these instead.
On the other hand, heard nothing but good things for the Wharfedale Diamond 8 Series, especially the bookshelf 8.1 and the 8.2. Anyone have experience with these?

Mike_Ch

Stunt Coordinator
Danny, I've got a Tannoy Saturn set-up which uses similar drive technology to the Kef's (co-axially mounted tweeter) and a definite strength for these types of speakers is imaging. I also prefer the British sound balance, but maybe my ears are just too sensitive to the *bright* sound of some american companies :) Btw, I heard the old Kef Q65's and thought they were excellent.
Cheers,
Mike

Pete Jennings

Second Unit
Danny: When I was shopping for receivers before Christmas, I heard just about the whole B&W line connected to a Rotel amp in a showroom, via A/B switches. While I didn't think the 303's sounded quite as good as the 601/602's, for $300 those little suckers rocked! I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a setup using them to my friends.
Chip: Marantz receivers compliment B&W's VERY well IMHO. This combination sounds very warm and rich, not harsh or overly bright. I read recently that Marantz got the production problems solved on the 5200/6200's (built at the Sherwood factory from what I read), and power-wise this would match-up with the 303's very well.
Go with whatever your ears tell you, and DON'T second-guess yourself after you decide.
My $.02
Pete
PS. I have a B&W 602S2/LCR6/601S2 setup, powered by a Marantz SR-8200 receiver. I would have liked to have went with a 602S2 center (like P. Hamm), but my wife wouldn't stand for a vertical standing speaker on top of our 65" Mits RPTV. :frowning:

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Mike_Ch,

As I listen to more stereo/HT gears, I realize I like that "British" sound more and more. The problem with European equipment is that they are not as readily available as American brands for auditions. I finally located a dealer in San Francisco that carry Mission yesterday. I am seriously considering the KEF Q1, even though it's slightly out of my budget.

Pete,

I've heard the B&W 303 and I was not impressed. However, that was when it first came out so I assumed that the speakers weren't broken in. I will go audition them again with an open mind and see how they do. Thanks for your advice on the Marantz/Rotel gears.

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
The DM302s were the first speakers I bought for my HT system, and I loved them, albeit more on music than with HT. The DM303s are even better, and now that the NHT Super One is discontinued, they're the best speaker in their price range IMO. Five or six of them and a sub would make a superb, inexpensive HT system.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks