B&W 302 vs Mission M71. Which?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Art Vance, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Art Vance

Art Vance Extra

I need some opinions. I LOVE my B&W 302's (but no bass) and I think I'm going to buy 2 more pair and go with that for my home theater sound (one each for L/R, CTR and rears). I've heard that the Mission M71 is a great sounding speaker but have not heard them. Do any of you have any experience with both and can make comparisons between the two?

Associated gear:

Denon 4802
    Toshiba SD-9200
    Audioquest type 4 speaker cables (need an upgrade?)
    Kimber D60 digital cable
    (2) Hsu VT1
    15X18 Room

thanks in advance,
    Art

2. Art Vance

Art Vance Extra

Sorry, I have VTF-2 subs.

3. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

i think you should get all b&ws so it will be timbre matched.....why not upgrade to kimber cables? if you have the extra money but i'd rather just do bi-wire with a less expensive.

4. Art Vance

Art Vance Extra

If I went with the Mission M71 I would get 5 of them. I'm trying to find out how the two (B&W 302 & the Mission M71)differ in sound. I've always been happy with the 302's but I've always been impressed with other Mission models, however, I have not heard the M71. Stereophile's review was very favorable of the M71, its what swayed me to consider another speaker other than the 302.

5. Khoa Tran

I don't know about you but asthetics influence me very much and i love how the b&w look compared to the missions....i haven't heard the missions so don't listen to me. =)

6. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

I have a pair of 302's and love the sound. But...they can't handle the higher SPL's needed for loud movie listening. That combined with your large room could make for some trouble. How loud do you want them? Another issue is no shielding. What kind of tv do you have?

If you do want higher SPL's then you'll have to move up to the 600 series. Mission doesn't really sound like B+W so I don't know why you'd consider switching especially since you "love" the character of sound you are getting now.

7. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I heard both the 302 and the M71, and the M71 is much better, IMHO. To my ears, the 302 sounded dry and lifeless, whereas the M71 sounded a lot warmer. The M71's imaging is excellent, with very tight bass that went lower than the 302. Very impressed with the M71.

8. Art Vance

Art Vance Extra

As I've said, I haven't heard the M71. That is why I'm looking for those who have heard the 302 and the M71, for comparisons. After reading more about them, I'm concerned that the M71 may be too rolled off on top for my tastes. I welcome more opinions on the matter.

thanks to everyone who responded,
    Art

9. craig_d_can

craig_d_can Extra

Art,

While I can't comment on the Mission, I can let you know that the 302 is no longer, and has been replaced by the 303. The 303 is quite an improvement, and only a few more bucks. They have received very favourable reviews from Home Theater Magazine, and others.

10. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    if you're considering Missions, why not another step up to the 780?

I have the 782s -- I know, completely different kettle of fish -- and absolutely love them, no doubt the 780s are just as impressive coming with similar pedigree save for the third driver and floorstander v. bookshelf.

my impression of the m71, which I heard briefly when a friend was considering a new hifi system, was that it was somewhat inferior to the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo One, although electronics may have had a factor in that as well. sorry, never heard B&Ws so I know this doesn't help directly.

my impression of the m71s is that their build is a lot less
    "solid" than that of the 780. partly perhaps because they're built in Malaysia rather than UK as the 780 series is.

being a tin-eared noob, I can't really say whether Missions are "warm" or otherwise, if anything I was told they're relatively neutral, and from listening to my system that seems a plausible description, they're "warm" when they need to be, they're "bright" when they need to be. if that makes any sense?

11. Haru

Haru Stunt Coordinator

I think you should put your money into speakers, not speaker cables. I have 12 gauge OFC speaker cable, and I will NEVER use anything more exotic than that. fancy cables amount to the same thing as the price fluffing tack ons that dealers put on new cars to bolster their profit.

12. Khoa Tran

well to me, i have noticed a different in sound comparing a more expensive tara labs speaker wire to a monster cable wire...but it's not that much of a difference, i would say that the most you would get out of wires are interconnecters, now those really matter...they make a difference in the world...

13. Asim

Asim Stunt Coordinator

OK my 2 cents worth...
    I have heard the M71s and BW303s (& Acoustic Energy Evo 1) at 2 local salons, and home auditioned a pair of 780s.

Music I listened to:
    Ottmar Liebert, Jesse Cook, Sting, Haris Alexiou, Sinead,
    Rebecca Pidgeon (Spanish Harlem is AWESOME!), Paul Oakenfold, Dead Can Dance, Various trance

The 303's sounded a little dry and i could see where people would think they would sound fatiguing after a while. The M71s sounded pretty smooth...with everyone's voice coming out pretty clear and at least for me not too bassy and bloomy (but i like no bass...anything below like 90 Hz is icky to me ...)
    but definitely very detailed and even through the entry level onkyo they were playing through, it sounded like there was no one area which was getting more/less emphasis than the other. By the way, you can get these direct from the dealer (look up the denon canada website and ask a guy named Don there) for $200 delivered. A place in texas called speakerhut.com has them for $166 + shipping.

So with that thinking, i thouhgt the 780s should sound EVEN better. Alas but no. Now this was using my HK 520 receiver, but i was very disappointed in the 780s. Only 50 bux more and i thought what a great deal. But the midrange was recessed (i guess some call this adding soundstage) but to me it was like the singer was in a tunnel whereas the instruments were much closer.

I also tried the Aegis 1 Evo and the Aegis 3 (old series). I think the 3's were a bit better (more even throughout) yet both had a tad off the top...it was almost like taking a smoothing filter off the very tallest peaks...So, i am going to stick with the 3's probably. But, I am seriously thinking about getting the M71s as surrounds (i wish i could hear the old Aegis 1s but my dealer no longer has them) because they are nearly $100 cheaper than the Evo 1s and i thouhgt they sounded great.

Perhaps the higher mid 600 line of B&W sound OK, but i definitely (personally) preferred the M71 to the B&Ws.

I wish i could have auditioned the Triangle Titus & the Totem Mite, but no dealers here. And, I am convinved (finally) that you have to listen to speakers with your own stuff..even if it is crappy...to really appreciate or accept how something will sound in your own environment.

Now dynaudio......$$$$
    - asim