KMR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kevin
I hit our local B & N yesterday, and was able to get two of the four Blu-Rays which I hoped for: CREMATOR (There was a copy in the store) and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (There was one they could order for home delivery at their warehouse.) And yes, I did the the extra 10% off. Then, upon returning home, I tried to order the other two on-line. SHOWBOAT was available, but I needed another to get the free shipping. That would have been my fourth choice, WAR OF THE WORLDS. However, it appears to be completely sold out, and can only be put on a Wish List. The guy at the store said that every copy was gone within hours of the sale starting. So at this point I guess it's just Wait and Hope!
Why would you have needed to add anything more to your order to get free shipping? Your message indicates that you are a member, and members get free shipping with no minimum purchase requirement. Unless Criterions are excluded, but that seems unlikely.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Why would you have needed to add anything more to your order to get free shipping? Your message indicates that you are a member, and members get free shipping with no minimum purchase requirement. Unless Criterions are excluded, but that seems unlikely.
Criterions definitely not excluded for FS. Sometimes the website gets confused about FS even if you are signed it to your acct until you click through to the final checkout page. If they're still listing shipping there then something is wrong in your acct or it's not coming directly from B&N.

Reactions: PODER

TravisR

Studio Mogul
Senior HTF Member
And none of the titles released since the last sale in stock. :(
On Friday, the Criterion section of my local store was nearly full and I went back yesterday and at least a third of the discs were gone. I hadn't seen that section that picked over in years. I know people wondered if the sale would happen because of the pandemic but I wondered if a lack of interest from the general public was going to end it. Looks like the sale rebounded (at my store anyway).

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Picked up some more titles, The Lady Eve, Holiday, The Fugitive Kind and Matewan.
Ordered in store Bruce Lee:The greatest hits and War of the Worlds since they didn't have in stock.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
3:10 To Yuma came back in stock early this morning. I nabbed it.

Will save THE LADY EVE and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN for the next Criterion sale on their site as I have two $10 coupons to use

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
3:10 To Yuma came back in stock early this morning. I nabbed it.

Will save THE LADY EVE and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN for the next Criterion sale on their site as I have two $10 coupons to use
"3:10 To Yuma" is one of the most beautiful, and beautifully detailed, black & white Blu-Rays I own. Really stunning!

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My copies of The Squid and the Whale and Inside Llewyn Davis ordered last Friday just showed up in the mail. That was quick.

Marriage Story obviously still forthcoming.

There are a few more I would like to get but I think I will save them for a future sale. $63.63 for the three discs I bought is very fair, but it's still a lot of money for me at once so I'm good for now.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
On another note, the Bruce Lee set is currently the #1 seller on Amazon's Blu-ray chart with a price of $62.49, which is the same as B&N. So it appears they price matched the sale. Since B&N currently has it out of stock on their site. there's another chance for those of you who want to get it. It's still expensive enough to trigger free shipping at Amazon automatically whether you are a Prime member or not.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
B&N has been instock most of the day, but within the last hour it's gone OOS which means fairly soon Amazon should follow.

I'm a bit interested to see what happens to all those preorders that sold at $90-100 and how Amazon handles it since the price didn't drop
until several hrs after the 3am ET preorder match expiration time (end of release day).

Reactions: Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I think, technically, they could get away with refusing to refund the pre-orders because, as you noted, the price didn't drop until after the end of the guarantee period. But I also think to do so would violate the spirit and intended purpose of the pre-order guarantee. So if it were me, I would honor the refunds as a goodwill gesture to customers to ensure that their customers will continue to want to return to Amazon in the future instead of felling like they got screwed out of a substantial discount.

But I don't run Amazon, so who knows?

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
So far it appears they are refunding at least some people. Not sure if it's automatic or if you have to request it.
At least one person sounds like they were denied, but it's possibly they jumped too early and contacted Amazon before it sounds the
refunds had been approved, but still a least a possibly YMMV

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Good God what a mess! Titles like War of the Worlds, Valley of the Dolls, Westfront 1918 and Kameradschaft can't even be ordered from the B&N website. I used to walk in and see a nicely stocked store in Glendale. Probably will not be able to get any of the titles I looked forward to. War of the Worlds was out from day one, never replenished. Somebody was asleep at the wheel with this. I've never experienced the actual B&N website emptied out. Apocalypse COVID to blame?

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Considering most of them are OOS at most sites I'm going to guess is not specifically a B&N deal.

The late start to preparing for the sale or even knowing there was 100% going to be a sale likely didn't help the lead time in acquiring stock though. If it was just the In-store that was OOS then it might be a BN issue, but since the web site order/fulfill/distribution is run almost entirely by the 800 lb Gorilla (Alliance Entertainment Corp) BN can't (or shouldn't) be blamed for the online stock issues. Since Alliance also is the main wholesaler to supply store shelf stock then I guess most of it belongs to them. OTOH, if reports of replication/production delays in Mexico are believed since many other labels are having stocking issues as well, then the fault likely lies really at nobody's feet alone (or maybe Dr Fauci since apparently he;s the James Bond Mastermind in the whole scheme according to Sinclair)

Deep Discount is OOS of the same without a sale to blame -- it appears that DD which should be a direct measure of ALLIANCE stock has approx 145 of the 680 Criterion BD in stock

Amazon is OOS of most or many of the same titles and they are partially price Matching. Of course they source much of their stock directly from ALLIANCE too though at least they have some amt directly in their own warehouses at any given point in time

Tino

Film Editor
Premium
Real Name
Valentino
So I picked up from my local B&N’s

Destry Rides Again
The Great Escape
The Grand Budapest Hotel

And from Amazon
The War Of The Worlds

Richard M S

Supporting Actor
I finally went to the Barnes and Noble Union Square this Sunday afternoon; wow what a dispiriting experience. There were no social distancing problems there this afternoon. 4 nearly empty floors with a roped-off, closed cafeteria, a dismantled author event section and a sign at the Help Desk politely asking you to not touch it if you were not going to buy it (which I appreciated) - but while I expected a limited Criterion selection based on my lateness, I always remember they used to at least attempt to restock at least the older titles. Still, I was happy with my purchase of the blurays of The Lady Eve and Wildlife. I look forward to (the eventual?) Criterion sale date.

Reactions: Ed Lachmann

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
I always remember they used to at least attempt to restock at least the older titles. Still, I was happy with my purchase of the blurays of The Lady Eve and Wildlife.
Given what appears to be the stock situation of the Warehouse judging from all the Alliance stores Backordered/OOS status -- are you sure they didn't try?

540+ OOS titles unable to be ordered via any of the Alliance contracted stores. Either the biggest Media Wholesaler in the world is in dire straits, Criterion is stashing their contracted copies and not releasing them to Alliance to distribute to their other clients, Amazon bought ALL the remaining copies of every Criterion and hid them away in their own warehouses, or there just aren't that many units available.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I finally went to the Barnes and Noble Union Square this Sunday afternoon; wow what a dispiriting experience. There were no social distancing problems there this afternoon. 4 nearly empty floors with a roped-off, closed cafeteria, a dismantled author event section and a sign at the Help Desk politely asking you to not touch it if you were not going to buy it (which I appreciated) - but while I expected a limited Criterion selection based on my lateness, I always remember they used to at least attempt to restock at least the older titles. Still, I was happy with my purchase of the blurays of The Lady Eve and Wildlife. I look forward to (the eventual?) Criterion sale date.
Maybe try checking out the Tribeca store instead.

Near as I can tell, they usually have somewhat more than the Union Square store anyway. I plan to swing by there again myself before the sale ends...

I didn't realize they close so early last time (Saturday a week-plus ago), so ended up only having 15min to grab these at store closing:

The Bruce Lee boxset
Lady Eve
War and Peace
Rififi

_Man_

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711