bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Picke-up All About Eve and Army of Shadows at my local B&N. Any suggestions on removing the discs from those rubbery hubs in the All About Eve BR, I thought the disc was going to break trying to release it. Not a fan of that design.
Criterion will replace the All about Eve case upon request. They did mine at no charge.

Reactions: Vegas 1

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Not sure if the extra 10% discount also applies when ordering titles from the Barnes & Noble website.
Not since 2012 when that was discontinued for website orders

In-store generated ship to home orders usually should get the 10%, but so far one person has reported that didn';t happen with their
preorder. I think others have said it did work though. It still sounds like their POS Computer update during the lockdown isn't 100% accurate yet.

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I have an unusual question.

Yesterday, I bought three Criterion titles on sale, including Marriage Story, which is a pre-order.

Today, I found one more Criterion, Smiles of a Summer Night, that I would really like to get as part of the sale..but by itself, it won't qualify for free shipping. If I were to add Marriage Story to this order, then they would ship for free together. But I obviously don't need two copies of Marriage Story.

Is there a way to cancel Marriage Story out of the first order so that I could move it over to the second order?

Alternatively to trying to cancel and reorder Marriage Story, I haven't bee able to find a B&N listing for the Criterion edition of Fantastic Mr. Fox. I would add that if I could find it. Has anyone else found that one? The only version they seem to have of it is the original release from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, not Criterion. If B&N truly doesn't have this, then it will be in first position for me to get the next time Criterion.com has a flash sale.

Edit: Now Smiles of a Summer Night is out of stock..but I suppose my questions stand, if anyone knows the answer.

Last edited:

David Weicker

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yesterday, I bought three Criterion titles on sale, including Marriage Story, which is a pre-order.

Today, I found one more Criterion, Smiles of a Summer Night, that I would really like to get as part of the sale..but by itself, it won't qualify for free shipping. If I were to add Marriage Story to this order, then they would ship for free together. But I obviously don't need two copies of Marriage Story.

Is there a way to cancel Marriage Story out of the first order so that I could move it over to the second order?

Alternatively to trying to cancel and reorder Marriage Story, I haven't bee able to find a B&N listing for the Criterion edition of Fantastic Mr. Fox. I would add that if I could find it. Has anyone else found that one? The only version they seem to have of it is the original release from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, not Criterion. If B&N truly doesn't have this, then it will be in first position for me to get the next time Criterion.com has a flash sale.

Edit: Now Smiles of a Summer Night is out of stock..but I suppose my questions stand, if anyone knows the answer.
I found Fantastic Mr Fox. - the 2019 re-release (blu-ray only).

Fantastic Mr. Fox - Criterion

The 2014 dual release was also listed (not on sale).

• Appreciate
Reactions: Jake Lipson

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium

In your order summary online there may be a Cancel Order option near the items. The system Alliance Ent uses locks in the order pretty fast though so it often goes away after a few hrs. I've cancelled standalone preorders weeks after I made them, but I don't think once part of an order is locked in that any further changes are possible.

If the Cancel Button isn't showing up next to your items I suspect you are past the point of no return. You could try calling CSR, but I do know in the past they haven't been able to help much on similar issues.

• Appreciate

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
If the Cancel Button isn't showing up next to your items I suspect you are past the point of no return.
Thanks. The cancel option is gone -- in fact, I just got shipping confirmation on the two in-stock titles I ordered as part of it -- so I'll leave it alone.

The 2014 dual release was also listed (not on sale).
Is the lack of a DVD the only difference between the editions? If so, that doesn't bother me as I would never use a DVD of something that I have in HD.

I've got Fantastic Mr. Fox and Smiles of a Summer Night in my cart right now and will keep an eye out for them to come back into stock. If I end up getting both, then there's no need to attempt to cancel Marriage Story, as these would ship free regardless.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
Edit: The originals releases of those reissued items are rarely 50% even when they show up as available -- there are still a handful you can find with UPC search, but I don't think they are even listed in the Criterion Collection group any longer in the BN system. I'll occasionally run a UPC search on a couple just to look for them

Last edited:
  • Insightful

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Those reissued items are rarely 50% even when they show up as available
I have Fantastic Mr. Fox in my cart now, and it does show as $19.99, so I should be able to purchase it for that price whenever it cycles back into stock. Like many others, it's out of stock for the moment.

David Norman

Lead Actor
Premium
I have Fantastic Mr. Fox in my cart now, and it does show as $19.99, so I should be able to purchase it for that price whenever it cycles back into stock. Like many others, it's out of stock for the moment.
Got my wording backward -- the reissues will be 50% since they are considered the active title, the replaced/discontinued originals usually aren't discounted and are often kicked out to the straight Criterion Category

ScottJH

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Of those Blu-ray/DVD releases which are still in print? Other than A Hard Days Night are there any more still?

Jake Lipson

Executive Producer
Premium
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yesterday, I had an impulse to order Fantastic Mr. Fox and Smiles of a Summer Night together, but wasn't able to pull the trigger because the B&N website didn't have both in stock at the same time. Now, with a little bit of clarity, I'm thinking that maybe I don't need to do that right this second.

It's Criterion, so of course almost anything they put out will be terrific. There's always going to be at least one more great title I didn't get during each sale; if I went crazy and got every single thing I wanted at once, I'd probably max out my credit card limit twice over. I have already got the three titles I wanted most that I didn't already have, so it's probably smart to stop there and save the others for a future sale. So I think I'm going to try to be done for now. Criterion's extras aren't there, but Fantastic Mr. Fox is included on Disney+ if I want to watch it before I end up with the disc. Smiles of a Summer Night would be a blind purchase, but if I just want to watch that for now, I could do a free trial of the Criterion Channel, which I've never had before, and sample it before deciding to buy later.

I think I'll stop for now and focus on enjoying the new stuff I just ordered. I think.

Riddles

Auditioning
Real Name
Gus
Ordered The Hero and Rosetta for now. I hope neither one is a digipack, because whenever I order those from B&N they arrive with crushed corners thanks to the store's too-tight packaging.

ManW_TheUncool

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yesterday, I had an impulse to order Fantastic Mr. Fox and Smiles of a Summer Night together, but wasn't able to pull the trigger because the B&N website didn't have both in stock at the same time. Now, with a little bit of clarity, I'm thinking that maybe I don't need to do that right this second.

It's Criterion, so of course almost anything they put out will be terrific. There's always going to be at least one more great title I didn't get during each sale; if I went crazy and got every single thing I wanted at once, I'd probably max out my credit card limit twice over. I have already got the three titles I wanted most that I didn't already have, so it's probably smart to stop there and save the others for a future sale. So I think I'm going to try to be done for now. Criterion's extras aren't there, but Fantastic Mr. Fox is included on Disney+ if I want to watch it before I end up with the disc. Smiles of a Summer Night would be a blind purchase, but if I just want to watch that for now, I could do a free trial of the Criterion Channel, which I've never had before, and sample it before deciding to buy later.

I think I'll stop for now and focus on enjoying the new stuff I just ordered. I think.
Definitely worth your time if you haven't tried their streaming service yet.

I just checked for you, and Smiles of a Summer Night is indeed currently available on the service -- not every CC title is available every month... but they do also include a lot of very worthy non-CC classics that get rotated in/out monthly too.

And maybe after spending some time w/ the service, you might decide to take the plunge on the big Bergman boxset instead -- at 50% off (or ~$150), it's a great value even if you already own several of the best known titles... which was what I did a year ago... and that's even if you don't sell your old discs...

Cheers!

_Man_

Reactions: PMF and B-ROLL

DavidJ

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Ask and ye shall receive. The 10% discount IS in effect in store. Or at least it was for me about 30 minutes ago.
Well, now I might renew my membership after all. Glad to hear from y’all that it’s still working.

Reactions: Suzanne.S

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I hit our local B & N yesterday, and was able to get two of the four Blu-Rays which I hoped for: CREMATOR (There was a copy in the store) and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN (There was one they could order for home delivery at their warehouse.) And yes, I did the the extra 10% off. Then, upon returning home, I tried to order the other two on-line. SHOWBOAT was available, but I needed another to get the free shipping. That would have been my fourth choice, WAR OF THE WORLDS. However, it appears to be completely sold out, and can only be put on a Wish List. The guy at the store said that every copy was gone within hours of the sale starting. So at this point I guess it's just Wait and Hope!

t1g3r5fan

Supporting Actor
Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
I picked up Now, Voyager, Holiday, and Matewan from the B&N at Clackamas Town Center yesterday. I'll likely be back for a couple more titles before the sale ends.

marcco00

Second Unit
Real Name
marc
i did find that amazon had 'the war of the worlds' blu for $23 on saturday so i went ahead &

bought it. my copy shipped & should arrive tuesday.

the price for that blu ray today on amazon is $36 & they are out of stock!

best buy and deep discount also out of stock as i write this, what a popular title!!

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ekelks