What's new

b**** & moan time: Total Film Top 100 films (1 Viewer)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I know everyone is going to hate this list, I actually like it because it's an utterly bizarre mix of the high and low, pop culture, cult culture, film culture and art culture. Possibly the most astonishing list I've seen.

But I imagine everyone else is just going to see red.

1 GoodFellas
2 Vertigo
3 Jaws
4 Fight Club
5 The Godfather Part II
6 Citizen Kane
7 Tokyo Story
8 The Empire Strikes Back
9 The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy
10 His Girl Friday
11 Persona
12 Chinatown
13 Manhattan
14 Taxi Driver
15 It's A Wonderful Life
16 The Apartment
17 Once Upon A Time In The West
18 All About Eve
19 The Texas Chain Saw Massacre
20 Apocalypse Now
21 Crash (1996)
22 Sunrise
23 The Godfather
24 Rear Window
25 Sunset Boulevard
26 The Third Man
27 Some Like It Hot
28 Raging Bull
29 La Regle Du Jeu
30 Reservoir Dogs
31 Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid
32 Les Enfants Du Paradis
33 Star Wars
34 The Searchers
35 A Matter Of Life And Death
36 2001: A Space Odyssey
37 Touch Of Evil
38 Badlands
39 Monty Python And The Holy Grail
40 ET: The Extra-Terrestrial
41 The Last Picture Show
42 One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
43 Heat
44 Annie Hall
45 Mean Streets
46 Nashville
47 Blade Runner
48 Singin' In The Rain
49 Pulp Fiction
50 It Happened One Night
51 Aliens
52 Sullivan's Travels
53 The Deer Hunter
54 Miller's Crossing
55 Kiss Me Deadly
56 The Shawshank Redemption
57 Sweet Smell Of Success
58 Die Hard
59 Blue Velvet
60 The Outlaw Josey Wales
61 Halloween
62 The Night Of The Hunter
63 The Matrix
64 The Conversation
65 8 1/2
66 Se7en
67 L'Atalante
68 This Is Spinal Tap
69 Sideways
70 Dawn Of The Dead
71 North By Northwest
72 The Terminator
73 Hoop Dreams
74 Raiders Of The Lost Ark
75 The Wild Bunch
76 Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
77 Lawrence Of Arabia
78 The Graduate
79 The Wicker Man
80 Day For Night
81 The Shining
82 Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
83 The Wizard Of Oz
84 Metropolis
85 The King Of Comedy
86 Kind Hearts And Coronets
87 Donnie Darko
88 Get Carter
89 Rio Bravo
90 Psycho
91 Dekalog
92 Back To The Future
93 Salvador
94 Magnolia
95 The Usual Suspects
96 Stand By Me
97 Trainspotting
98 Casablanca
99 Three Kings
100 Goldfinger

I've seen 84 of these. I think there're two hidiously low rankings and there are three films I'd throw off completely but other than that a very interesting and unique list.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
I read about this list the other day and decided at that point that from now on the only list I will pay attention to is the Sight and Sound list.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
That list has (IMO):

36 great films
9 so-so films
46 crappy films
9 films I haven't seen

Despite the obivous limitations of this list, it still has far less flaws than the Sight & Sound list which is filled with worse films than anything on this list.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Overall, that's actually a pretty decent list. I've seen 77 of the films, and most of the remaining 23 are high on my "To See" list.

The top 10 is pretty bad, but I have to give huge props for the high placement of "The Aparment" & "One Upon a Time in the West" as well as the inclusion of "Eternal Sunshine..." which is the best movie of the past five years (IMHO) and "Magnolia" which is also one my very favorite newer films.

They also included "Touch of Evil" & "Night of the Hunter" which were two glaring omissions from the AFI 100.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou

:emoji_thumbsup: George, you're a brave man. ;)

I own 76 of those films. Goodfellas is a great film, a top 20 entry for sure, but no.1? Naah. It is annoying that films like Casablanca, Lawrence of Arabia and 2001 aren't in the top 10, or even in the top 20. The list seems almost random, so, the best comedy ever is His Girl Friday? I can think of dozens funnier and better. Fight Club? Above so many genuine greats? What was the average age of the pollers? 15? Poll-ocks I say. :D

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I agree, many of the films on the list are actually pretty decent....certainly runs the gamut of my disjointed tastes in movies. As far as the listings...feh.

WillG

Senior HTF Member

Well, in any top 100 films list, of course you are going to get a lot of good films in there. But I agree, this list does seem to be a bit askew.

For example: I know it's often debated which is better, "The Godfather" or the "The Godfather Part II" but putting part II at number 5 and part I at 23 seems to be pretty odd (Personally, I lean toward Part I as my favorite of the two)

Also, since they seem to count "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy as one entry, why not the same with the orginal Star Wars trilogy? I know many people do not like ROTJ as much as ANH or TESB, but would it really hurt just throw them all together for inclusion based on TLOTR trilogy being done that way?

I could go on I guess, but I'm sure we'll get more opinion from others

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
And I thought those FilmForce lists were silly... Any information on how this list was compiled? Just the people in the office? And there was one guy in the office who likes classic foreign films?

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Overall a solid list, but the rankings leave something to be desired. GoodFellas at number one? It's a good film, but one I find outrageously overrated. And Fight Club? Meh.

FWIW, I've seen 'em all with the exception of Hoop Dreams which I started but didn't finish (couldn't get into it at the time) and A Matter of Life and Death (which I only vaguely remember).

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of this list is eerily similar to my own top 100 list. GoodFellas is #4 on my list, but Brazil is my all time #1 and doesn't even make this list.

Also, David Cronenberg is one of my absolute favorite directors but the only one of his films that made the list is Crash (1996)! No, The Fly (1986), Videodrome, or Dead Ringers? Strange.

I like Godfather II better than I, but I have them at #2 and #12 respectively. And Reservoir Dogs way higher than Pulp Fiction is an intersting choice too.

Overall I dig the list though.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
9 of my top 10 are on this list (my #9 Dr. Strangelove is a horrible omission), but those others rank between 6 & 98 on this list. Again, I could live with all of that, if it wasn't for how horrible many of the replacements are.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
This is probably one of the best, most well rounded lists I've come across, featuring movies I own or would like to own.

I have to agree with you on "Eternal Sunshine", I think it ranks as one of the deffinative films of this decade. I can never really take the actual ranking of these lists too seriously, as personal bias ultimately comes into play, but as a 100 films, worth watching, it's pretty great.

My only complaint is "Dancer In The Dark" isn't listed. "Goodfellas" is kind of strange as a number one film, but it still belongs on the list.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
I think it's a great list overall, yeah there are a handful of questionable choices regarding inclusion/omission, but I think it's much more realistic than the pretentious trash AFI spews out every year.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
There's a lot of great films there but it seems someone fell in love with the 70's, which is fine in my book since it's my favorite decade of films. I'm somewhat shocked at the horror films they selected yet they left off FRANKENSTEIN and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

However, I'm going to pay very little attention to this list due to the "newer" films. I think a film should at least be 10-15 years old before it gets labeled a "classic". Standing the test of time is the key to a classic so these newer films shouldn't be on there.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

I agree completely. Every once in a while a film will strike me, but I always say to myself - "Wait and see what you think in 5-10 years", and that should be the minimum requirement before being compared against films that are 30+ years old.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That's fine... and irrelevant: The word "classic" did not appear anywhere in the original post.

--
H

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Why? You know you aren't going to agree.

Here's just a few off the top of my head, that IMO, and ACNOIOSYTSHOTSASL (almost certainly not in your opinion since you think so highly of the sight & sound list), are some films far worse than anything on this total film list:

Performance
The Birth of a Nation
Written on the Wind
The Piano
Cries & Whispers
Don't Look Now

Yecch.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

It might help if before you criticise something, you actually read it to refresh your memory. And by the way, old chap, as you clearly pride yourself on accuracy, it should be 'far fewer flaws'.

Have a nice day. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks