B&M regularly beats Web for DVD's, e.g. Shrek

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Kim, Nov 1, 2001.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I built my dvd collection primarily through online purchases. So it was to my surprise to see lately that dvd prices online seemed, hmmm, not very good. I think there may have been a permanent flip-flop with pricing - new dvd's almost always are introduced to market more cheaply at brick 'n mortar than at online shops. Sort of sad to see this era slipping by.
    For example...
    Shrek:
    cheapest online price - $17.99, but most at $19.99 and above + all add shipping.
    Target & Circuit City - $17.99 + sales tax, which is almost always cheaper than shipping, on low volume purchases.
    Best Buy - wow, $16.99
    The internet tax ban will be repealed. Once this happens (soon), I can't see how the online merchants will survive. Ever increasing shipping costs, taxed goods,...why bother?
    Looking forward to watching Shrek with my son. Have fun!
    ------------------
    Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

2. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Well, I don't know - I just got the remastered Baraka for $10.75, shipping included. Know any B&M anywhere near that price? It all depends on what you're buying, plus you've got to get to a B&M such as Best Buy - one may right on your way or it might be 45 miles away as it is in my case - and then you've got sales tax. For every title you can mention that is cheaper in a B&M, I can name 50 (or more) that are cheaper online.
    ------------------
    They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
    They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
    - Napoleon XIV

3. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

You also have to remember this is only for the first week that the DVD is available. I'm sure that Best Buy, et al, will go to $19.99 next week. For any non-new releases, online sellers beat B&M's hands down.
    Your example though breaks down like this for me.
    SHREK
    BB: 16.99 + 1.02 (6% FL tax) = 18.01
    DeepDiscount: 19.84 + 0.00 (shipping) = 19.84
    The difference is very minor at $1.83 and well worth it not to hassle with Best Buys one cashier serving 100's of customers!
    Also, compare this one for:
    MP and the Holy Grail
    BB: 24.99 + 1.50 = 26.49
    DD: 20.67 + 0.00 = 20.67
    That's almost a $6 difference.
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Adrian Jones

4. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

You also need to consider how valuable your time is. If you save $1 per title by purchasing three DVD's from three different B&M's (to get the best price on each), but waste 1.5 hours of your time driving around town, was it worth the savings? I certainly feel that my time is worth more than $2 per hour.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 2

5. Rob Robinson

Rob Robinson Second Unit

I'm gonna get Shrek at Best Buy on release day:
    1) THEY ALWAYS LOSS LEAD ON THIS WEEKS HOT RELEASES
    2) DeepDiscount may save some $$$, but I want to watch shrek FRIDAY. Since the free deep discount shiiping is USPS, it already takes way too long for me- now that the USPS is on anthrax alert, i can't imagine shipping times improving.
    I do like digital eyes, and use them for things that aren't readily avaialble at Best Buy.
    as far as the long lines...it can be fun. usually i bond with other pissed of customers. And last week, some old guy THREW his copy of Final fantasy at the cashier woman and stormed out in a huff- we were in line behind a middle eastern man with an Amex platinum, and they basically had to have a manager fax his passport to amex- this whole ordeal took like 20 minutes... similar "adventures" were happening in all the other lines. The first line I got in had a woman with an old packard bell split open in a shopping cart- a big pile of old computer parts and a confused as hell cashier- no thanks.
    finally, i like the feeling of collective lameness when I notice 6 or 7 other people in line, usually all clutching the smae couple of DVDs.
    I'm starting to notice alot of repeat faces in my tuesday ritual... who knows what friday will bring [​IMG]

6. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  8. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I've found that it all depends on the title. Big new releases like SHREK will be better at B&M. But you can find better deals on CITIZEN KANE online.
    In addition, while scarce, there still are occasional online coupons and promotions that make it a better deal.

9. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

Well, I hate to admit this here on the HTF, but I bought Shrek from Blockbuster Video - only because they had a pretty good promotion. But it is very rare that I every BUY movies from them.
    You pre-ordered Shrek for a pretty hefty price (I think it was like 25 bucks or so), but got a ten-week rental card with the order. Or maybe you bought a ten week rental card for 25 bucks, and got Shrek "free". Whatever it was, it was a good deal.
    I like to rent movies every once in a while, because sometimes I am not sure whether I'll like a movie or not, or I KNOW I'd only like to see it once. Take Swordfish, for instance...I am glad I rented it rather than buying. I personally didn't think that movie fit the rest of my collection, as far as its content was concerned. (It's just my personal taste in movies.)
    Anyway, I buy my movies at Best Buy the day they come out. I'm happy to say that over the course of a year I've saved a fortune in increments of $2 and $3 buy getting them on release day at Best Buy.
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

10. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

11. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I am lucky that I pass by 2 Best Buys on the commute home and live within 4 miles of a Frys. That way I always wait for the loss leader sales. My time is definitely valuable to me and I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for convenience, but in my current situation going to a BB is as easy as pulling off to the right on my normal (hellish Los Angeles) commute home. Oh, and Laser Blazer is also on the way in case I want to rent. [​IMG]

12. Sam R. Aucoin

Sam R. Aucoin Stunt Coordinator

I have NEVER seen a B&M store carry the entire collection of Criterions, and we have (in my area): Suncoast, Best Buy, Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, and Circuit City.
    For those of us who like The Criterion Collection, I HOPE the on-liners stay in business . . .

13. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

Should've been more clear, although I did specify SHREK as one example. The new releases, like SHREK, are often used as loss leaders at Target or Best Buy. Like Chris Rock said, over the course of a year, $3.00 + savings per disk can add up quickly.
    I'm constantly adding to my collection, both new releases and obscure collections. For the new films/new releases, I'll get them at a good savings at Best Buy or Target.
    For the cinephile in me, I'll find existing titles online sometimes, and at a cost savings.
    My comment was in reference to how, in general, the trend seems to be pointing away from online in terms of cost savings.
    ------------------

14. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

'If you're referring to the 1998 Internet Tax Freedom Act, I believe it expired by its own terms on October 21, 2001. There's at least one pending bill that would extend it...'
    Michael,
    You're right...it did expire without renewal. However, Congress should pass another extension, but I believe for only 2 more years. Once the taxing districts get the codes standardized, we'll see the initiation of internet tax.
    Forgot my main point of contention in my original post...one promise cried out constantly early on by the online merchants was that they had no overhead. This meant that they could pass the substantial savings down to the consumer. Not happening anymore.
    Granted, ordering online is like placing your own, direct special order. Titles that are hard to find at retail, you'll invariably find online. But I'm frustrated, after listening to initial promises of price.
    It's like the Hardees in my old, hometown. They opened with promises of the biggest piles of roast beef. True, but over the course of time, I saw those piles of beef reduced to miniscule shreds. I cried (probably because I never made appropriate adjustments to the slather of horseradish).
    ------------------

15. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Interesting discussion here. For brand new "exciting" releases (a la Shrek, Snow White, Phantom Menace, etc.), I'd say the B&M stores are definitely the way to go.
    But some valid points were made in this thread regarding the availability of some lesser-known titles. For "older" DVDs, I think buying online is fantastic.
    For the brand new ones, you'll see me at Tower Video and Best Buy every Tuesday. And in the case of this week - A Friday! [​IMG]
    Plus, let's not discount the fun factor inherent in simply looking through the DVD aisles! MUCH more exciting than clicking through a website!
    Hope everyone enjoys their Shrek-filled weekend!
    ------------------
    Scott Weinberg
    ------------------
    http://members.home.net/scott2915/_vti_txt/ofcs

16. Brian O

Brian O Second Unit

I am one who initiated his collection with all the great deals online a few years ago. ValueAmerica, 800.com, Buy.com, Reel gave me the first 100 or so titles at around $10 delivered. I got all the Bond Collections for half price!
    But, in the last year I have been resigned to buy at B&Ms. Usually, I go to Best Buy, Costco, Sams Club, or Walmart. Now I find most of my deals on the newer releases for $15-$20.
    I need to rent more!
    ------------------