B&K's ref 50

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Yogi, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

There's a guy selling the Ref 50 for $2300 on audiogon. This almost sounds too good to be true for a state of the art processor/preamp that is fully balanced from input to output (or so he claims). What do you guys think of this deal?
    BTW I was browsing around in Tweeter yesterday and found the 307 on sale for $2700. It made me wonder if the 307 was outdated. Does anyone have a clue about that? Also the salesman told me that soon B&K is coming out with the new Ref 50.

2. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Yogi.. I saw the ad on audiogon, went to the referring web site the other day and dialed 1-877-379-7754 as instructed. The message I received was "The mail box number you are trying to reach is no longer in service." Hmmmmmmmmmm..
    http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.p...roc&1034650466
    http://www.surroundworld.com/
    My guess is, this is a pre-order for the new B & K. I don't think this product is available yet.

3. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

As far as I know, the Ref 50 isn't out yet. You asked about the 307 being outdated. I think the answer is yes it doesn't have DPLII, but the rumors are that there will be a new receiver version this fall as well as upgrades available for the 307 / 305 and Ref 30. I have a 305 receiver and in my opinion it is the best sounding of all the flagship receivers.
    If you look around, you can find some very attractive prices on the 305 and 307.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That really seems too good to be true...
    We can dream I guess! [​IMG]

5. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Well, I've heard the list price on the B & K ?? will be $2995.

6. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I emailed the dude on audiogon, but with no response so far...

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

2995 for the Ref 50 would be quite good, I think.

8. Alan_C

Alan_C Auditioning

I purchased the AVR307 from a dealer at a great price about a month ago. He told me that the next generation receiver and pre/pro will be shown at the upcoming CEDIA show in September. I called B&K and their tech support person told me that the upgrade for the AVR 307 and Reference 30 will happen after or around the 1st of next year. He did not think it would be as expensive (or complex) as the upgrade from the Reference 20 to Reference 30. He didn't want to be quoted, but it should run around $500. I demo'd the Denon 5800, B&K, Marantz 9200. IMO the 307 is the best sounding receiver out there (at least against the above receivers - I can't say this about the Denon 5803 as I did not test it).

9. Brian Fitterman

Brian Fitterman Stunt Coordinator

Someone was talking about there being a Ref 40 and Ref 50. The 40 would be the 30 with the new processing power only. The 50 would add some things like truely balanced inputs and outputs. I cannot confirm that, but that is what I remember.

This could explain the 2995 price point people are seeing. That would make sence. $200 more for the extra (more than the ref 30) licencing B&K would have to pay for. (PLII, DTSES, etc...)

10. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Has anybody seen any confirmed info on both units the ref 40 or the ref 50? I am holding out now for the ref 50, hopefully I am not holding my breath in vane....

Thanks
    R~

11. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Supposed to be announced at Sept's CEDIA...

12. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Kevin...
    AHAHAHAHAHAH isn't it sept already...!! [​IMG]
    Thanks........I was hoping somebody hear had some insider news [​IMG]
    Thanks
    R~

13. Chris Yesh

Chris Yesh Agent

There will not, I repeat will not be a ref 40. There will be a ref 50, it will be out beginning of october. It will retail for $4000, and have balanced xlr. And all the good stuff. The unit will be a little different in terms of looks. Will have rounded sides, a blue lcd display, and a input selector knob, instead of buttons.

14. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

Sweet.....Can't wait.......Do you know if the unit will be shipping in october or if you will be able to place your order in october and 4-8weeks later you get your unit....??

Just curious
    Thanks
    R~

15. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I really think i may buy the Ref 50... that and a reference power amp from B&K. I had a 307 for close to a year and REALLY liked the sound. I traded in my 307 for a Denon 5803 with all the bells and whisles to play with and am enjoying it. I just think it's time to go back to that B&K sound WITH bells & whisles!... I'm guessing it'll be loaded. Gotta call my buddy at Tweeter. [​IMG]

16. Chris Yesh

Chris Yesh Agent

They tell us maybe mid october is when we'll see them in the stores. They'll have a replacement for the 307, it will be the 507, and they'll also have the 505. The only thing that I find that they're lacking is the component video up conversion for s-video or composite. The ref 50 won't have that either.

17. Rhett_Y

Rhett_Y Screenwriter

"They tell us maybe mid october is when we'll see them in the stores"

Who is they???? I'm assuming B&K? and this is great news if it stands up!

Thanks for the info...
    R~

18. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Chris,

I don't use the upconversion feature now with my 5803... that wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. I want DTS-ES,DD-EX,THX Surround EX, DPLII..etc.. I also want to go back to the really good B&K remote because the Atkis plain sucks.

19. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

ChipE , I have a 307 and I like the remote but have an ATKIS for the family (have labeled the buttons intuitively)...Apparently I am the only person in the world who likes that remote:b ....will upgrade my 307 eventually but have fallen in love with those non-current limiting amps!!!! Also can't find another piece of gear that allows the "shift on the fly" reassigning of my 4 surrounds.....Which jersey/philly store???

20. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Matt,
    I shop at the Deptford,NJ store across the street from the Deptford Mall. Believe me, the 5803 can match the power output of the B&K 307 however, after some extensive use of both receivers, the B&K sound is what i prefer. There both killer receivers though! [​IMG]