B&K Seperates

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Robert BG, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Robert BG

Robert BG Auditioning

I have narrowed my search on seperates to a B&K Reference 50 Preamp and a B&K av125.7 Amp. I can't afford the Reference 200.7 Will there be that much of a difference between the two amps? I will be using it for home theater 75% and music 25%. Also does anyone have any pros or cons on this equipment. I'm open to suggestions on other gear if you have first hand knowledge on it.

2. Robert BG

Robert BG Auditioning

I have narrowed my search on seperates to a B&K Reference 50 Preamp and a B&K av125.7 Amp. I can't afford the Reference 200.7 Will there be that much of a difference between the two amps? I will be using it for home theater 75% and music 25%. Also does anyone have any pros or cons on this equipment. I'm open to suggestions on other gear if you have first hand knowledge on it.

3. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

good choices.

between the amps, this will come down to your speakers mostly. the reference will have more punch and better clarity than the AV series. aside from power output, the reference is a higher current amplifier that is more refined.

for HT the difference might be too small. HOWEVER, if you have speakers that are low efficiency or need the extra power, it might make sense to go with the reference. if your speakers are happy with either power rating, music would be the only real place to hear the difference.

i am a B&K dealer if you need any other specific questions on the gear. i do like the b&k processor. im still waiting for their new one to come out, but if i had to buy now, that would be the one.

4. Robert Cowan

good choices.

between the amps, this will come down to your speakers mostly. the reference will have more punch and better clarity than the AV series. aside from power output, the reference is a higher current amplifier that is more refined.

for HT the difference might be too small. HOWEVER, if you have speakers that are low efficiency or need the extra power, it might make sense to go with the reference. if your speakers are happy with either power rating, music would be the only real place to hear the difference.

i am a B&K dealer if you need any other specific questions on the gear. i do like the b&k processor. im still waiting for their new one to come out, but if i had to buy now, that would be the one.

5. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Robert-
    I haven't heard anything about a new processor. Do you have any additional details? BTW I have a ref 31 and 7270 and couldn't be happier. They sound great.

6. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Robert-
    I haven't heard anything about a new processor. Do you have any additional details? BTW I have a ref 31 and 7270 and couldn't be happier. They sound great.

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

IMHO, B&K offers the best value in hi-fi, period. Extremely refined and smooth sound with a rich midrange. I have done side by side comparisons between my Conrad-Johnson tube amp and the B&K amp and was suprised how close B&K came to the classic tube sound. You would have to spend thousands more to get even slightly better than that.

Regarding the two amps, I would suggest you spring the little extra (even if you have to go used) and get the Ref 200.7. That might well be the last amp you buy even if you have to later upgrade your speakers to inefficient, tough loads. The B&K Ref amp will handle the toughest loads with aplomb. You can get the 200.7 (or the 7270) for under 1.5K on A'gon.

Best of luck.

8. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

IMHO, B&K offers the best value in hi-fi, period. Extremely refined and smooth sound with a rich midrange. I have done side by side comparisons between my Conrad-Johnson tube amp and the B&K amp and was suprised how close B&K came to the classic tube sound. You would have to spend thousands more to get even slightly better than that.

Regarding the two amps, I would suggest you spring the little extra (even if you have to go used) and get the Ref 200.7. That might well be the last amp you buy even if you have to later upgrade your speakers to inefficient, tough loads. The B&K Ref amp will handle the toughest loads with aplomb. You can get the 200.7 (or the 7270) for under 1.5K on A'gon.

Best of luck.

9. CalvinCarr

CalvinCarr Supporting Actor

Can you Bi Amp the 200.7? Do you know how the Ref 50 handles video? Any DVI? Etc...

10. CalvinCarr

Can you Bi Amp the 200.7? Do you know how the Ref 50 handles video? Any DVI? Etc...

11. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    The Ref 50 handles composite, component and s-video. No DVI or HDMI. The 200.7 can't be "bridged". It's upto your speakers if they support bi-amping. If they do you could use a channel on the 200.7 for bass and another for treble.

12. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    The Ref 50 handles composite, component and s-video. No DVI or HDMI. The 200.7 can't be "bridged". It's upto your speakers if they support bi-amping. If they do you could use a channel on the 200.7 for bass and another for treble.

13. CalvinCarr

What would be a good processor to go with the 200.7 that handles high def video?

14. CalvinCarr

What would be a good processor to go with the 200.7 that handles high def video?

15. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    The B&K Ref 50 handles high def video through it's 3 component inputs.

16. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    The B&K Ref 50 handles high def video through it's 3 component inputs.

17. CalvinCarr

Is it better to go through the DVI or HDMI? If so what would be good for that?

18. CalvinCarr

Is it better to go through the DVI or HDMI? If so what would be good for that?

19. Robert Cowan

the new processor is why the ref50 dropped its price down to $2k. it was in anticipation of the new one coming out, however, for some reason, its been delayed. it will be the refefence 60. it will be basically the same, with updates to the audio/video sections. its going to be designed by the people who do meridian gear, so it is proposed to have a gloss faceplate (similar to the 800 series meridian). other than that, its secret. there is absolutely NOTHING on it online. ive googled and came up completely empty.

however, B&K assured me that its coming. this time last year, it was slated for january. in january, it was slated for right NOW. now its slated for end of the year. but, that probably wont happen either. it might be years before its out.

20. Robert Cowan

the new processor is why the ref50 dropped its price down to $2k. it was in anticipation of the new one coming out, however, for some reason, its been delayed. it will be the refefence 60. it will be basically the same, with updates to the audio/video sections. its going to be designed by the people who do meridian gear, so it is proposed to have a gloss faceplate (similar to the 800 series meridian). other than that, its secret. there is absolutely NOTHING on it online. ive googled and came up completely empty.

however, B&K assured me that its coming. this time last year, it was slated for january. in january, it was slated for right NOW. now its slated for end of the year. but, that probably wont happen either. it might be years before its out.