What's new

B&K Reference 50 setup help needed!! (1 Viewer)

Logan G

Agent
I picked up a Ref 50 about 2 weeks ago. Still getting comfortable with how it works. One thing I don't get is the "Room Equalization" menu. Would one of you Ref 50 owners walk me through the process of how to equalize a room.

Thanks in advance for the help

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Jerry,

Do you have a SPL meter?
If not, first get one.
Then PM me.
I don't understand, why not post the procedure online on how to utilize the room equalization feature of the Ref50? Why does this have to be a covert activity?

I would think that there are other Ref50 owners who might like the information that you seem prepared to offer Logan. It might also be useful for those individuals considering the Ref50 as a present or future purchase to understand the capabilities of this feature. I can only speak for myself, but I am curious.

Michael

wayne p

Stunt Coordinator
I would also appreciate learning about this feature. Although I do not see a Ref 50 in my future, it is always helpful to learn about different types of equipment. I read various A/V related mags for the same reason.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I don't understand, why not post the procedure online on how to utilize the room equalization feature of the Ref50? Why does this have to be a covert activity?
It was not meant to be covert in any way.
I did not have the time to type out a full description on how to utilize this feature.
My offer was PM so that I would have paid for the phone call and offer a one on one, it is Sunday (Family day in our home) Only time to check in now & then.
I'm just a B&K user, Sometimes things are more easily done/communicated over the phone. Also if anyone tried a search of this forum or AVS I'm sure they would find plenty of instructions.
I have spent many hours on the phone with several B&K users helping out.
Nice way to me people.:emoji_thumbsup:

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Logan,

If you are fortunate enough to learn how to utilize the room equalization feature of the Ref50, would you mind posting here about what you have been taught? Thanks. :)

Michael

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
a basic overview is you measure with a spl meter frequencies to see where your spikes or peaks are in your room. Then you select that frequency and decrease the db by half of the measured over level. This puts a notch in the bass, and you get a smoother more accurate response. There is also some cool EQ settings for the high and low end as well, where you can also pick a frequency and it will boost that above or below that frequency.

Great Features, Great Product.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Bryce,

a basic overview is you measure with a spl meter frequencies to see where your spikes or peaks are in your room. Then you select that frequency and decrease the db by half of the measured over level. This puts a notch in the bass...
Is this feature limited to the bass frequencies or can it be applied anywhere from 20Hz-20kHz?

Michael

Bryce Miner

Stunt Coordinator
Anywhere! It is so flexible with any type of room. But I'm not sure why you would want to use it other than in the lower frequencies...

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Bryce,

Anywhere! It is so flexible with any type of room. But I'm not sure why you would want to use it other than in the lower frequencies...
I agree. I was just curious how flexible the frequency range was.

Thanks. :)

Michael

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
20Hz-300Hz

I am not a very technical person when it comes to putting things into typed words.
I would recommend as I have done many times for all just to download the B&K software suite from B&K software
The software is a very clean install and it will uninstall just as cleanly after you play with it. This software works very well with Windows 98, 2000, XP.

Install it.
Then start the application.
The first window that comes up will be Connection type
Just pick Local COMM not the network.
Select Apply.
The software will search Comm ports for a B&K supported product, If you have no B&K products that's fine.
The software will say No Device found.
Use the Select Product for operation without a connected device. Then click OK
"THIS IS AN EMULATION MODE, YOU NEED NOT HAVE A B&K PRODUCT"
Now a scroll down is made available.
You can select any of these B&K products.
AVR 101 Receiver
AVR 305 Receiver
AVR 307 Receiver
AVR 505 Receiver
AVR 507 Receiver
AVR 202 Receiver
AVR 202+ Receiver
AVR 202i Receiver
CT 310 Receiver
CT 610 Receiver
PT-3 Pre Amp
PT-5 Pre Amp
Ref 10
Ref 20
Ref 20+
Ref 30
Ref 50
Select the product you would like to check out.
I have the Ref 50 and use that.
Then click OK.
Now a new window appears, Just left of the user guide icon select Run system editor.
Now I have found it best to maximize your window.
If you do not do this it maybe difficult to see the three buttons in the lower left of the screen.
These are "System" "Preset" "Favorites"
Select system.
Now you have a window with 12 tabs in front of you.
The #4 tab is Room Setup.
Take a look around at all the available settings and flexibility with in the software and the B& K product.
The software is very easy to understand, Even if you have a B&K product but never used the software & cable, This software helps you understand all the available flexibilities within the product without the many layers of confusion trying to understand the on-screen single page menus controlled with the remote.
I have suggested for people download this in the past,
Use it to compare features with what you own or just to learn and check out B&K.
It will cost you $ZERO to see what you maybe missing. :emoji_thumbsup:
As you can see you can setup all your default inputs anyway
you like, any speaker config,dsp, so on, and not have to even use a single preset.
The presets are for the special saved personal settings.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
On that Tap #4 Room Setup you will also find the B&K test tone generator.
This goes from 20Hz-300Hz in 2 HZ increments!
I have found it to be very accurate and useful over those homemade sweep disc's and such.
This will let you stay at any given frequency indefinitely.
Very nice to work at those trouble areas.
Also you have choice of output db levels.
Play with it and have some fun!
If you use a Radio Shack SPL meter you may want to do the modification or search for the frequency adjustment chart.
This SPL meter has been found to be off a bit.

Logan G

Agent
I would like to thank Jerry for all his help. He called me last night and he spent about 30 minutes on the phone explaining how to equalize my room. I was not even aware of the B&K Software suite. Once I get a cable made I plan on sitting down and trying to "tame" my room. Jerry, I will post here again if I have any questions or issues since a number of members seem interested in this process.:emoji_thumbsup:

Ralph P.

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings,

You said that you were not aware of the B&K software suite? Didn't the software CD come with your Ref.50 along with an RJ-45 to DB9 ( serial port ) adapter?

The RJ-45 to DB9 adapter should have come with your Ref. 50. Go to Radioshack and purchase an RJ-45 network cable in the length you need. The adaptor will fit on the end which will go into your PC's serial port.

If the adapter did not come with your Ref. 50 Radio shack has the necessary parts and it is simple.

Once you familarize yourself with the Ref. 50 you will find it a breeze to operate. The Software even came with setups and codes for my Pronto TSU2000.

I have found this unit to be very customizable, and a stellar performer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks