What's new

B&K Reference 50 processor whine... (1 Viewer)

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Gotcha, Roger! I concur to your philosophy, and it does make logical sense that 1.03 upgrade to 1.04 may not mean any noticable difference. I'll check out with Tweeter and see what they say. Thanks again...

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I just got off the phone with B&K to check the status of my unit. They received it last Wednesday and shipped it out Friday that same week. My unit will arrive this afternoon. I also, asked about the change from V1.03 to V1.04 . According the tech the change was strictly done internally to THX mode and nothing that will effect an end-user or be noticed. So, basically don't bother with sending in your unit.

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Just a quick update. I just barely got around to re-installing my Ref. 50 after the update. Guess what? My whine is officially gone. Menu navigation is now much faster. The delay when switching sources has been also decreased and is noticeably much quieter. I'm happy :b .

Eric Sellers

Auditioning
I'm in the same boat as you. I've spent upward of $8,000 on speakers, have a Sony 9000es DVD SACD player, a Sony multichannel SACD player, HDTV and receiver, and an Integra 5.1 receiver. My receiver is woefull compared to the rest of my system. I very badly want to upgrade to separates but need info on the various higher end units out there. I'm looking at Krell, Sunfire, Parasound Halo (leading the pack so far), but am still entertaining the idea of a Denon 5803 or B&K 507. Have also considered Proceed, Anthem, etc. So hard to "compare" these units when you cant take each home and hook them up to your speakers. I welcome input from all owners/users of any of the above. Don't recommend Pioneer Elite, or Sony es Receiver. I have demoed both and was not impressed. Thanks in advance.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Donnie,
That's great news.
It's strange that a few have this whine and others as myself do not?
I still have not found any firsthand experience with this whine.
Enjoy the Ref :thumbsdown:

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Donnie,
I knew it! I am glad that the whine dissapeared on your ref50! I went ahead with the purchase of ref50 a couple months ago hoping that it's software dependent/fixable (under warranty), and looks like B&K had fixed yours (reading your comments several posts up, I am not sure if it's due to software upgrade, or B&K quietly replaced your "whine" component(s). On my unit, the whine is not that bad (only on LS speaker when there is no signal present), nevertheless, if it can be fixed, why not....

Audio quality wise, I am very satisfied! enjoy your ref50!

Logan G

Agent
Hi Guys,

I have a Ref 50 with version 1.0 software. It does not the the whine problem. It does pop/thump in the right back surrond only when changing inputs. Will an upgrade to version 1.4 fix this problem, and what other enhancements can I expect from the upgrade to the newer version of software?

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
As mentioned above:

1. Relay switching is much quieter and faster.
2. Menu navigation is faster.
3. THX mode has had a couple of bug fixes.
4. DTS ES DSC or DTS ES MTX now displayed on encoded discs
5. Compatibility fixes with other manufacturers.
6. Corrects input switch issue.
7. Fixes issues with Samsung HD Receivers.
8. SACD/DVD-A bypass digitizes/matrixes back surrounds when listening to multichannel through 7 speakers. The new version parallels the back surrounds with the side surrounds when using 7 speakers so you now have true 7 channel direct.
9. Levels balanced and tweaked on outputs.

I'm sure they're are others.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry, are you sure you do not have the whine. Turn the dvd player to pause and then turn your volume up (real loud), you should then have the whine. I do not think this is a problem because B&K does not use an internal muting mechanism to mute this whine. (I wished they did so that it would not bother so many people.) The B&K is still very high on my list and I think it is a great sounding piece and I know it would go great with my B&K Ref. 200.5 amp. I am just stuck between the B&K Ref. 50, the Parasound Halo C2 or the Lex. MC8.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Ted,
I was one of the first to have the ref50:D
One from the very first production runs.
My order was placed last September prior to cedia expo here in Minneapolis.
I have not had the whine in my Ref50, Just a few weeks ago
I installed the 1.03 update board, This thankfully did not add any whine.
After all this Ref50 whine talk, I had my wife & kids with much better ears take a listen.
Zero whine...
I have been on the record saying this for sometime.
Lucky I guess ;)
The only whine I have heard lately are from the first hatch of mosquitoes here in Minnesota, they are the size of sparrows, killed one last evening that had five wood-ticks attached to it!
Darn kids hold the doors open all the time. :angry:

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
I wanted to post my opinions of the software upgrade. I received my unit back from B&K two weeks ago. The whine noise has almost disapeared, and is not noticible at all anymore while source material is playing. The pops when switching inputs has all but dissapeared, and the unit sounds completly different. I don't know how to explain it, but is seems to have a much warmer, richer tone to it than before. While it was crystal before, it did have a tendancy to be a little harsh on some scenes. I wrote it off to my speakers. But this is gone. I love this unit and now that B&K stepped up and handled my issues, I would highly reccomend it. I understand that they fixed a short, rerouted a ground on the digital board, and upgraded the software. All in all, a fantastic unit, now.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
The replacement unit I received from B&K is still working very well but it also still has the slight whine in the left surround channel??? I wonder if upgrading to 1.04 would fix it????

Jerry I sent you a PM.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
I upgraded my ref. 50 from version 1.00 to 1.04. I only upgraded because my eprom got scrambled from an unknown static charge and I could not connect my ref. 50 to my computer to assist in customization. I was happy with ref. 50 at 1.00 and only upgraded since the box was open to change the eprom. The change to 1.04 did not make any significant changes to the sonic performance or functionality of my unit. 1.04 is not the holy grail of upgrades and fixes. To my knowledge there are no "whine" patches or fixes in 1.04. Personally if you are happy and content with your current version I would hold out until more substantial version changes come down the pipe. IMHO, it is not worth upgrading just for the sake of upgrading. If you have compelling, specific issues that are addressed in 1.04 then that is different story.

Just my .02c

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
Albert,
great to hear that B&K took care of your problem...pops when switching input, mine does that and I thought it was normal? so, is your firmware got upgraded to 1.04?

Mark,
would be interested to hear if 1.04 resolve the slight whine on the LS speaker..

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
Terry,

Nobody here is claiming 1.04 is the holy grail of fixes. What is significant in my case however, is I never mentioned it to B&K. Since it seemed common around the board, I figured why bother getting the typical response "It's normal". I simply asked for the firmware upgrade and now the whine is gone in my unit.

Frances,

The click or pop when you switch sources is normal. However, it's much louder in earlier versions of the firmware.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Donnie,

I'm neither endorsing or rejecting the prospect of a ver. 1.04 upgrade.

If maintenance revision upgrades were achieved much like the AVM-20 via s/w downloads with firmware updates then it would or could make sense to upgrade on a more regular basis just to stay current. With the ref. 50 you have to unplug the system, remove it, and either ship it direct to B&K or deliver it to your local dealer. You are faced with potential downtime and/or the risk of shipping damage. All I'm saying is....that as of now, the version update consists mainly of minor tweaks and revisions that would probably not be detected by the average user. I just think sound expectations should be set in the users mind before they embark on an upgrade. Version revisions will be an on-going evolution during the life-cycle of the product and will progress with little or no fanfare. Hopefully substantial revisions and improvements will be made in the future that will warrant a more compelling case to upgrade.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
The update from 1.00 to 1.03 was just a tad more then a maintenance revision. The board that holds the prom has had a few component value changes.
If your at ver 1.00 you will now get 1.04 with a new modified board also.
A little birdie told me so ;)

Users who are viewing this thread