B&K Reference 200.7 problem

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John H, Jan 23, 2003.

1. John H

John H Second Unit

I just installed a Reference 200.1 in my system. I cycled through the processors speaker setup test tones to confirm everything was working.

The amps channels 6 and 7 have extremely weak unusable output. I am using these channels of amplification to drive my left side and left rear speakers.

I have traced the problem to the amplifier itself. I have eliminated "all" other possibilities.

In the manual under troubleshooting...

Problem Channel sounds distorted and low output
    Possible Cause Blown rail fuse

I am not sure about the distortion part as I have not tried playing any program material with the amp, just pink noise and the output is just above audible from these 2 channels and measures 75db from the others.

Would a blown rail fuse only affect 2 channels?

I am going to contact B&K in the morning before requesting a replacement from my dealer which is an hour drive. And unfortunately this is the last unit that was in stock.

John

2. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

3. John H

John H Second Unit

Problem rectified.

The input connection method unbalanced/balanced button was depressed to the balanced position that controls those 2 channels. I am using the unbalanced input connections. There is one selection button for each pair of channels.

It obviously was accidentally pushed in during cable connections. I can't beleive I missed that during troubleshooting. Lack of sleep I guess!

Thanks,
    John

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I have done that with my Proceed Amp2 and believe it or not its a common mistake, so dont blame sleep for that.

BTW I just saw your HT system. Looks way cool. I just had one question - why are you replacing the Parasound with B&K. Any particular reason related to sound or you just wanted a one box amplifier for all your seven channels?

5. John H

John H Second Unit

6. Albert Damico

Albert Damico Stunt Coordinator

One important question: Where did you get the sign that says "This Home Theater Powered by Dolby Digital"