What's new

B&K Ref50 Prepro (1 Viewer)

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
I just got off the phone with B&K to confirm some of the information about the Ref 50, Since today is the start of cedia, I have plans to attend but I just do not see the time available today.
Most that has been leaked on several forums is correct.
Balanced ins and outs.
Yes, The MX-700 remote is included.
The Silver Ref will have matching silver knobs.
The cross-over is still an uncertainty, as to if it
is global as with the Ref 30 or not.
The guys at B&K that I spoke with do not seem to have all the facts straight yet.
Again they write their own software code,
So they can and will add what the public wants as long as the processor is capable.

I will stop by the B&K booth to take a look and speak to George from B&K,
Any further improvement on the flexibility of the Ref 30 is a WIN for all B&K users, The 30 is very flexible at this time.
Let the fun start!

Han

Second Unit
What about component video upconversion, does the B&K have this important feature?
I'd find this feature useful, though not a deal-breaker. It'd mean one less step in the remote's macro commands when switching sources, which means less time I'd have to hold up the remote waiting for all the commands to run through. Maybe it's not as much an issue if the MX-700's dispersion is wider than my MX-500's.

Geo

Stunt Coordinator
For the Denon you would need two sets of rear waal speakers plus the sides to do this and you would have to go into the on-screen menu to switch....
Actually switching is only a matter of hitting the "Speaker" button on the remote. Hitting this button switches from surround A >>>> surround B >>>>> or both.
The rear surrounds configuration is done during inital setup and can be altered rather easy with two buttons on the remote. I like the way Denon at least gives you the option of using dual surrounds.
However B&K's method looks to be pretty cool also. I wonder if they will have to make some mods to accomodate the new formats now included on the Ref 50?

Regards,

geo

Matt Jesty

Second Unit
Geo,
I new about the switching on the Denon remote ,just CAN'T abide 3 or 4 speakers along the rear wall....and everytime I explain this somebody tries to come up with a "switch-box" solution that will make the denon work with only 2 rears ...0000:D

Chip E

Screenwriter
Jerry,
Absolutely report back with anything you dig up. If your bringing a digital camera and can snap some pic's especially of the back panel, that'd be great. :emoji_thumbsup:

Camp

Senior HTF Member
The cross-over is still an uncertainty, as to if it
is global as with the Ref 30 or not.
Hmm...that's a potential bad sign. This thing is due to ship in October, right? -and they don't know the status of the crossover? That strikes me as odd.
Granted, it's a software change but judging by the length of time it takes most companies to offer software upgrades you've got to wonder.
Of course, it could have just been ignorance on the part of the person you spoke to.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
Camp,
He did say that the sales staff knows much more about the
Ref 50 then the tech department that I spoke with.
I'm sure that this will be one sweet pre.:D

Chip E

Screenwriter
Here's some info someone posted at AVS from a spec sheet:

Surround formats:
Dolby- DD/DPL2/EX
DTS- ES/Neo6
THX- Ultra2

Inputs:
Unbalanced RCA 7
Balanced XLR 2
Digital Ins Optical/Coax 5/6
Composite 7
S-video 7
Component 4

Outputs
Unbalanced RCA 8 Zone A
Balanced XLR 8 Zone A
Analog Zone B 1 pair
Digital Out Optical/coax 1/1 Zone A 0/1 Zone B
Composite 5
S-video 5
Component 1

Audio
Frequency response +0/-0.5db 5hz-20khz
Line Level Sensitivity: 2V in, 1.5V out (0db)
S/N A weighted 89db
Output impedance 221

FM/AM Tuner

Dimensions 17w 5 3/4h 10d
Weight 10lb.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Yes, The MX-700 remote is included.
It appears then that the MX-700, or an OEM version of it, is included with the Ref50, correct? The question then is, do they include the initial file that is loaded into the MX-700 as well as a cable? One can always make a cable, but if the file (or the individual device files) is not included, then how is one to augment the remote's functions without losing the pre-loaded devices? Each new download from the PC to the MX-700 fully overwrites what was there before. An alternative is if the Ref50 device file is available from either B&K or URC. Of course, any further customizations done by the retailer would require the updated file, although I doubt Tweeter will normally be doing this.
Oh yea, one more solution if the file is not provided: if one has a different learning remote, one can learn each MX-700 command to the other remote, then transmit it back to the MX-700 while it's connected to the PC in learn mode. This will create the PC file needed and will thus allow further customization. All this assumes that if this is an OEM version of the remote that either the URC software will work with it or B&K provides the necessary software. Also, I assume the hardware functions are the same as the retail unit.
I have not been keeping up on info at remotecentral, so maybe there's info about the B&K version of the remote or OEM versions in general, if there is even an OEM version.
BTW, it's a great remote!
Doug

Real Name
stephenrabinowitz
I have the B&K Ref 20 & I see by the specs posted here the new 50 will weigh in at 10 lbs. around same as my 20. Just curious how come B&K's weigh about 1/2 the other pre pros out there.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"Just curious how come B&K's weigh about 1/2 the other pre pros out there."

Some processors, like the Bryston SP1/SP1.7, have dual power supplies and this can add significantly to the total weight. Maybe the B&Ks only have one power supply.

Michael

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
The Ref 30 weighs more than 10 lbs. And the Ref 50 is taller than the Ref 30. Is that 10 lb value correct? That's pretty light for a pre/pro.

AVspec

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
Some of my co-workers from SOUNDEX are going to be at Cedia and promised to get me any and all info on the Ref-50 while there so anything I hear about it I will post.

I may also upgrade from the Rotel RSP-1066 to the new Ref-50. Can not wait to hear and see more about this piece...

Yogi

Screenwriter
You dont need a big power supply for a pre. It could be as light as a laptop. All it is is a processor/tuner that is capable of a few volts output at max. Some manufacturers intentionally make thier prepros heavier by using 1/2" aluminum front panel and steel chassis not because of 'mass' appeal (no pun intended) but because they want a well damped chassis for reduced microphonics. I think thats an over kill as SS devices are not that microphonic to begin with. If it were a tube pre then it would make sense but for a SS pre I dont think its necessary. So I wouldn't be paying any attention to the pre's weight.

Mifr44

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
"You dont need a big power supply for a pre."

Maybe not one big power supply, but in some cases TWO separate power supplies. Some prepro designs have one power supply for the analog circuits and one for the digital circuits (the Bryston SP1.7 comes to mind). Some will use a separate power supply for the video circuits. It is the belief by these manufacturers that using separate power supplies is more efficient.

Now, adding massive weight to the case just to make it heavier (overdamping), that's another story.

Michael

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Solid state devices can definately be affected by stray RF/EMI. Shielding, which adds weight, can help to prevent that.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Shielding, which adds weight, can help to prevent that.
But wouldn't a copper plated aluminum chassis be sufficient for that. Why a steel chassis? In fact copper sheilds better than steel. Heck aluminum foil sheilds RF/EMI. We actually used them in some of our wafer processing plasma machines to shield some nasty RF radiation from some components (the kind that would stop a pace maker or make you impotent if exposed for a long time:))

Frank R

Auditioning
Mark:

I am new to the Pennsylvania area. Who sells B&K locally in the Montgomery County area? I am interested in the REF 50. Seems to be about my price point.

By the way, went to check out Soundex recently, they have a fantastic set of showrooms. Glad they sell B&w too. My wife fell in love with the 802's.

Thanks

Frank

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks