B&K Ref50 Prepro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chip E, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Pre ordered today. Ref50 pre-pro & Ref200.5 - 5 X 200 amp. October 15th scheduled delivery date.
    Can't wait... All silver too. Home Theater Master MX-700 remote included, fully customized for the Ref50.

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Wow!!! [​IMG] Congratulations Chip. I'm kind of jealous. What are you replacing?

3. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Dana,
    Right now i'm running a Denon 5803 receiver. I've had it for a few months now. Before the Denon, i had a B&K 307 receiver for about a year. I'm excited about moving to seperates [​IMG] After extensive time with receivers from B&K and Denon, i now know i prefer for sure, the B&K sound.

4. Red Spencer

Red Spencer Agent

Did they deal on it, and where did you order

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chip- Got to ask, how much? Where from? Thanks!

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I won't disclose "how much" but i will say i didn't pay list [​IMG] i ordered it from Tweeter,Deptford NJ.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Chip- It'd also be nice if you'd could post your impressions here once you get it. [​IMG]

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I surely will ! It's gonna be a while yet though..

9. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Chip,
    Did you buy this just because Max told you that it includes the MX-700? [​IMG] I saw that it sparked your interest over at hometheatertalk. Can't believe you jumped so quickly after it with only owning the 5803 so briefly. I am sure you will be impressed. Enjoy your new toy next month [​IMG]

10. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Greg,

Nooooooo. Lol.. The MX-700 was just an added bonus really. I planned on going back to B&K as soon as i heard about the Ref50. I used to have a 307 receiver and like the sound of B&K over Denon. Plus, i wanna go seperates.

11. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Chip , didn't you talk of the Elite for a little while?
    Did your friend at tweeter let you trade in you 307 for the 5803 and the 5803 for the ref50 ref200.5 combo ?
    Is that part of their policies?
    If thats the case you've been upgrading at no cost...way to go!!!!!!!!!!

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Matt,
    Your memory is rock solid my friend.. The Elite never panned out only because my guy at Tweeter had a really hard time getting the 49TX in back then for whatever reason hence, the 5803. I don't get anything for free trust me. When i upgrade, i pay the difference. With the processing power of the Denon, and having seperates, i believe i'll be done with the Ref50-Ref200.5 combo [​IMG] The only thing i plan on buying hardware wise a few months after i get the new B&K gear is two of the new B&K monoblocks. I'll use the monoblocks for my front left & right main's and let the Ref200.5 handle center & surround duties for a full 7.1 rig. The monoblocks won't happen right away.. I'm working my ass off right now to afford this upgrade. Luckily, moneywise, i'm working out of my area which bumps my rate up (i'm a union cement mason).

13. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Chip,
    what I meant to say was, have you always received the full amount of the gear you had towards the next (more expensive) piece ? I know that Tweeter has a trade up policy and ,correct me if I'm wrong, you seemed to have been able to never loose any of your previous investments...You will have had a 307 ,a 5803 ,and soon a 50/200.5 all for the price of the 50/200.5.......
    great way of working the system, I know a lot of people who have bought unit "X' for $2,500 then sold it 6 months later for $1,500 to get unit "y" for $3,000 , then sell that 9 months later for $1,500 to buy units "t & z" for $4,300....God , do the math!!!!

14. StephenRabinowitz

Just curious, if you liked the sound of B&K so much why did you go from the B&K 307 to the Denon 5803.

15. StephenRabinowitz

Just curious, if you liked the sound of B&K so much why did you go from the B&K 307 to the Denon 5803.

16. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

Chip,
    Aren't you going to miss the 5803's 2 multichannel analog inputs with bass management?
    What about component video upconversion, does the B&K have this important feature? Does the Ref 50 have 3 component video inputs?
    How about the Laserdisc AC-3 decoder of the 5803?
    Also the Dual Surround Speaker Mode of the Denon, I use this feature a lot, is this important to you?

Don't take this the wrong way, please. I'm more interested to know what features of the Ref 50 have you dumping the 5803?

Regards,
    geo

17. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

I'm looking for DTS-es, PLII, THX Surround-EX, Dolby Digital-EX and to get away from the aweful Atkis remote. The 5803 is a great receiver. Turns out to be a hair bright too my ears compared to B&K. I want to go seperates. If the 307 had the processing features i mentioned, i'da never got rid of it. Me getting the 5803 was kindof a fluke because i really wanted a 49TX. My dealer had problems getting it, the 5803 showed up, i took it. I've been happy with it but, not happy enough to keep it. I got a deal i couldn't pass up to move to the Ref combo.

18. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Also the Dual Surround Speaker Mode of the Denon, I use this feature a lot, is this important to you?
    ================================================== =====
    Actually it is the way Denon implements that feature that bothers me...B&K does it so that you only need ONE set of rear surrounds and you can "shift on the fly".....
    having sold both for years I say B&K hands down...not for features ,there Denon has the advantage (currently), but for sound quality....Also the presets and notch filtering have spoiled me......I could go on, and on........

19. Geo

Geo Stunt Coordinator

20. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

WIDE dispersions in the side position and direct radiators in the rear position ...the B&K allows you to hit the surr. button on the remote and then a # on the 10-digit pad to choose :
    "surround 5 side" = 3front and the 2 sides
    "surround 5 back" = 3 front and the 2 rears
    "surround 6" = 3 front , 2 sides and 2 rears playing mono matrixed rear center info..
    "surround 7" = all seven with side and rear channels both playing same l/r surround info (5.1 from 2 pairs)
    For the Denon you would need two sets of rear waal speakers plus the sides to do this and you would have to go into the on-screen menu to switch....
    I ain't gonna put four speakers on my back wall....
    '''''''''''''''''''''''''
    This has been covered in other threads....and am looking for other pre-pro's that have this feature....It is very important to me....