B&K ref30 v. B&K AVR307

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike Mitrook, Jul 20, 2003.

1. Mike Mitrook

Mike Mitrook Agent

I have the opportunity to purchase either a B&K ref30 (open box) and/or a B&K AVR 307 (new in box) from a B&M at a great price. Does anyone know if there is any difference on the processor end of the ref30 v. the AVR307? I know the ref50 and 5 series AVR are out of my price range.

I'm a long time Rotel and NAD fan/user but I've been thinking about making a change (always liked the B&K product as well. The main reason for upgrading is to have a system in the family room that's easier for the rest of the family to use (instead of the daisy-chained mutilple prepros and amps and receiver (for second zone) I'm currently running). My wonderful wife has also agreed to a dedicated HT in the new house (will be done next month).

Looking forward to your thoughts, comments & suggestions.
    Mike

2. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

This may help you make a decision and is something to think about depending of the deal you are getting.

LINK

3. Mike Mitrook

Mike Mitrook Agent

Thanks for the info Donnie. So is the AVR307 worth $1700 plus the $500 to $800 for the upgrade? The ref30 would be $1200. A great deal less than the ref50 or the AVR507.

4. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Personally I would go for the Ref. 30, but that's because I prefer separates. You'd also wind up with essentially a Reference 50 minus balanced inputs if you should have it upgraded. However, your still going to need amplification which will add to the cost.