B&K REF 50 vs. Sherbourn PT7000(outlaw 950 kinda)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred DeGrandis, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

B&K REF 50 vs. Sherbourn PT7000(outlaw 950 kinda)
    I was sure I was going to buy the Sherbourn until one of the dealers I use(who I bought the Sherbourn amp from) told me about the B&K REF 50. I have been reading alot about both, and the general consensus is that the Sherbourn/Outlaw is not in the same league as the B&K. I am thinking about ordering this amp tonight, and I was wondering what you guys think.

I will be pairing this Pre/Pro with my Sherbourn 5/1500A 200X5 power amp, and they will be running my Paradigm Reference Studio 100's, 20's, and a Studio CC.

Thanks again,
    Fred

2. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Fred,
    Buy American, get the Ref50. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Dean Mar

Dean Mar Stunt Coordinator

B&K is known for their warm sound. Coupled with your Paradigm's you will be pleased. I run my Studio 100's with a B&K AVR305 and have been very happy.

Not sure what the pricing is on the Sherbourn, but your dealer is correct that the B&K is in another category up from the Sherbourn pre-amp.

If you can afford the B&K, go for it and don't look back.

4. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

I haven't heard either (don't think anyone has) but I'd say the B&K would be a better performing unit based on my past reading and research.

5. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I have heard the 950 and thre ref 30, and I believe that the 950 is a better sounding unit. I have also heard a bunch of B&K amps, and they range from very warm and smooth to brittle and harsh. I would say to try auditioning the ref 50, and see if you like it. I would think that the ref 50 is in a differenct league than the 950, as it costs 3x as much, but you may just want something that can do a very good to excellent job for HT purposes, which is what the Outlaw does.

6. randy bessinger

randy bessinger Stunt Coordinator

B&K has the room equalization filters that the Outlaw does not have, whereas, the Outlaw has the triple crossover feature.

I have the Ref. 30 and the room notch filters are nice.

7. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

I ordered the B&K today

I ordered it from a friend who is an authorized dealer, and lets just say he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Thanks again guys for all of your advice. I am very excited about my purchase, and I will post with my thoughts on it once I receive it.

Fred