What's new

B&K REF 50 vs. Sherbourn PT7000(outlaw 950 kinda) (1 Viewer)

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
B&K REF 50 vs. Sherbourn PT7000(outlaw 950 kinda)
I was sure I was going to buy the Sherbourn until one of the dealers I use(who I bought the Sherbourn amp from) told me about the B&K REF 50. I have been reading alot about both, and the general consensus is that the Sherbourn/Outlaw is not in the same league as the B&K. I am thinking about ordering this amp tonight, and I was wondering what you guys think.

I will be pairing this Pre/Pro with my Sherbourn 5/1500A 200X5 power amp, and they will be running my Paradigm Reference Studio 100's, 20's, and a Studio CC.

Thanks again,
Fred

Dean Mar

Stunt Coordinator
B&K is known for their warm sound. Coupled with your Paradigm's you will be pleased. I run my Studio 100's with a B&K AVR305 and have been very happy.

Not sure what the pricing is on the Sherbourn, but your dealer is correct that the B&K is in another category up from the Sherbourn pre-amp.

If you can afford the B&K, go for it and don't look back.

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I haven't heard either (don't think anyone has) but I'd say the B&K would be a better performing unit based on my past reading and research.

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
I have heard the 950 and thre ref 30, and I believe that the 950 is a better sounding unit. I have also heard a bunch of B&K amps, and they range from very warm and smooth to brittle and harsh. I would say to try auditioning the ref 50, and see if you like it. I would think that the ref 50 is in a differenct league than the 950, as it costs 3x as much, but you may just want something that can do a very good to excellent job for HT purposes, which is what the Outlaw does.

randy bessinger

Stunt Coordinator
B&K has the room equalization filters that the Outlaw does not have, whereas, the Outlaw has the triple crossover feature.

I have the Ref. 30 and the room notch filters are nice.

Fred DeGrandis

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered the B&K today

I ordered it from a friend who is an authorized dealer, and lets just say he made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

Thanks again guys for all of your advice. I am very excited about my purchase, and I will post with my thoughts on it once I receive it.

Fred

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks