What's new

B&K Ref 50 vs. H/K 525 as a Pre/Pro only? (1 Viewer)

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Hi. I just recently upgraded my Yamaha RX-V2095 receiver to seperates. I actually got the Sherbourn 7/2100 amp, 200 watts per channel at 8 ohms. And I also struggled with using my Yamaha as the pre/pro. I ended up going with the Ref 50. By the way, it can be purchased, brand new, from an authorized dealer for around $2K. My system has been dramatically improved. I realize that the upgrade in amp counts for some of the increase in sound, but PLII was a huge difference that I had not even considered when I made the purchase. On material that is not DD or DTS, it can really make the system come alive. Also, the ability to tweak the heck out of it gives me huge flexibility in adjusting for my room dynamics, or rather lack of them. As I kept my Yamaha, I was able to set up the Ref 50 beside it and over a few weeks, I switched from the Ref 50 to the Yamaha as a pre/pro and the sound difference was huge. Now that could be attributed to the fact that the Yamaha had very little bass management and did not let me input speaker distances, but both systems were set up with my trusty SPL from Radio Shack. Also, as I expected to hear a difference, I did. The mind can be a very powerful thing. In fact, I knew that if I did not upgrade the pre/pro when I purchased the amp, I would always be second guessing myself and that would take away from my enjoyment. But the facts are that the increase in adjustments, the ability to dynamically adjust the system to room acoustics, the THX certifcation, bass management, and Pro Logic II made huge gains for my system.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Well...I can certainly relate to the that. Before the 525 I had a HK AVR 80II THX. I was using an outboard processor the Sony SDP-9PES which was really good in it's day. Going from Dolby PLI to PLII was really night day for two channel TV sources with surround encoding. This is one of reasons why I have this dilemma. The 525 that I am using right now basically supports all of same formats as the ref. 50 and the 525 has decent triple bass mgmnt. I am not certain that I will notice quantum leap in performance between the two. Sure the ref. 50 has much better processing and electronics and is completely superior but will I be able to hear it? This is what I trying to figure out before I take the plunge.

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I am not certain that I will notice quantum leap in performance between the two. Sure the ref. 50 has much better processing and electronics and is completely superior but will I be able to hear it? This is what I trying to figure out before I take the plunge.
I was in the same boat a couple of months ago as you were. I had a Proton Prepro that kicked ass of prepros that were 3 times its price in both HT and music. After weeks of agonizing over this vs. that, I decided to go with the 4ES as a prepro. I was very happy but the thought lingered as to "What IF.....seperate prepro"? I then tried out the Outlaw and the Rotel which were in my budget and could not hear anything from those two prepros that would justify the move to anyone of them. Needless to say, both prepros were carefully packed and sent packing back! :D
You should try out the Ref 50 in your house and see or hear for yourself if you notice any difference in the sound quality which would justify the move. One caveat though. giving up on logic 7 might be hard and you might just want to get your hands on a used Lexicon DC2 or something with version 4. :emoji_thumbsup:

Logan G

Agent
Hi Terry

Maybe this will help.

I have the Veritas 2.4's and 2.0 Center in my system. They were powered by a Denon 5800, which I consider one of the better receivers out there.

I recently upgraded to the B&K Ref 50 and the B&K 200.7 amp. At first I noticed little if any difference in sound. However, as I have spent more time listening, I can now say their is a difference in my 2 channel and SACD sound. With the B&K I feel like I am listening to a wall of sound. Even if I focus on the main speakers I honestly can't tell where the sound is coming from. I guess the correct term for this is improved imaging.

Was it a jaw dropping improvement? Definitely not. Was it significant? To me, yes.

Terry.P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Guys,

That puts things a little more into perspective.

The 5800 is a much better pre/pro than my 525 which is also a plus for me.

Logan, do you feel that 200.7 which is the same as my 7270 sans the balanced outputs puts out enough power to drive the 2.4's. I'm still breaking in my 2.4's so I haven't had a chance to push them yet. Are you using a sub with the 2.4's or do you have them set to large?

Logan G

Agent
Terry,

I think 200 watts per channel is plenty of power. I have cranked the volume up a few times with no clipping, straining, etc.

I run the mains large for 2 channel and SACD, and small for DD, DTS, etc. My sub is the gigantic Velodyne HGS18, which is the other new addition to my system.

Break in the 2.4's slow, I have seen posts about the woofer problems due to inadequate break-in time.

Later

Users who are viewing this thread