B&K Ref 50 vs. H/K 525 as a Pre/Pro only?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry.P, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Terry.P

Terry.P Stunt Coordinator

I have a H/K AVR 525 that has been demoted to a dedicated pre/pro with a B&K 7270 7 channel amp. Obviously, the two don't compete against each other but I am considering an upgrade to the ref. 50. On paper, I really can't justify the upgrade as the the H/K handles my needs pretty well at the present moment. Would I notice a dramatic difference in sound quality between the two units from a pre/pro perpective or would I better off just saving my money? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. DerrickW

DerrickW Stunt Coordinator

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

B&K Ref 50 has THX Ultra2. That means non mono rears for a 7.1 speaker setup. H/K has Logic 7, but only for 2 channel sources. The 525 will give you mono rears with 5.1 sources.

H/K makes great receivers, but IMO, the Ref 50 is in an entirely different league.

4. DerrickW

What's the difference in price?

5. Terry.P

The difference in price is roughly $1-1.5K

6. DerrickW

Just 1k? The 525 is $700, the 520 $500. What is a good price on the BK and where?

7. Terry.P

It's at least 1K more than the 525. You can pickup a used ref. 50 for about 2K+-.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

If you look around, I've seen brand new Ref 50's for $2250-ish. I'm still trying to justify that price over the Outlaw 950 I have right now... Haven't been able to yet... [​IMG] If only the Ref 50 came 1st...

9. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Terry, since the thought of upgrading the HK525 to the Ref50 has crossed your mind, you should demo the Ref50 in your house because until then thought will linger on and take away any joy you have from using your current setup. You can probably find a used Ref50 for around $2200 which is about $1500 more than the HK525. What you need to determine is whether the difference in sound would be worth $1500. BTW, $1500 would get you new speakers, DVDs, etc. [​IMG]

10. DerrickW

Nick, that's how I'm thinking about it. I am buying the entire setup right now, and will probably "overbudget" on speakers and amps since those generally last longer in a setup. Pre/pro will change more with formats, etc. We're talking about a $2250+ new pre/pro here- applying that to the existing speaker budget can get you into some serious main channel speakers!

Outlaw vs BK50? Wasn't the Rotel 1066 out then?

11. Terry.P

12. DerrickW

what's the subwoofer? what about sound treatment? what about equalizing the subwoofer? are those rear surrounds considered matching? any cabling or noise issues?

though i agree after looking at your setup, the pre/pro is the last biggie. if you like everything else in your setup and have the money, go for it. but at this level of investment, it seems worth doing some playing with placement, treatment, etc.

13. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Terry, That is a great setup in itself. Is there something you are missing from a sound point of view that you think the Ref 50 will get you? Why is the HK the weakest link? Is it HT or 2 channel music?
    If it is 2 channel music then go out and buy a good used 2 channel preamp for about $350 and throw that into the loop and pocket the rest of the cash. I am sure you want to build a DVD collection, right? [​IMG]

14. Terry.P

Opps forgot the sub.

HSU VTF-3

The rear surrounds only come alive sometimes during agressive DD-EX and DTS-ES processing. Although they don't timbre match at the mfg. level, they blend fine. Rear surrounds won't be used to for SACD or DTS audio playback. No hum or noise issues after using a a cheater plug on both the amp and the sub.

15. DerrickW

oh, good point nick. probably get better 2 channel by a 2 channel preamp than with the BK, and save a few grand at the same time. if you aren't so picky that the rears be matched for home theater, then maybe you won't care about the HT performance improvement. the 2 channel may be a better investment.

what 2 channel preamps would you recommend for him nick?

16. Terry.P

Nick,

Don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with the current setup and will be even happier after the 2.4's are fully broken in. At this stage of game to fully realize the potential of my amp and speakers it would be in my best interest to look into dedicated quality processors. My short list of pre/pros are B&K ref 50, Halo C2 and the Anthem AVM 20. I kind of ruled out the outlaw 950 as I believe that it probably won't be quantum leap forward from my 525. The B&K seem to be the best value on the used market. BTW, I'm doing 60/40 HT & Music. When I incorporate SACD that may change. Must get a SACD player soon!!! The SACD version of the "Dark side of the Moon" is coming out next month [​IMG].

17. Terry.P

I can't get a 2 channel amp. No room in my custom cabinet. That is why I bought the 7 channel B&K to leave room for futures like, HD recorder and SACD player etc. Separates are great but they take up space.

18. DerrickW

not 2ch amp... like preamp for 2 channel. ie a better pre/pro but specifically for 2 channel. it would make a better impact on music, and probably be better on music than the BK, at way less price. some would get that AND the BK. but hey, looks like you could spend some dough on an SACD too!

19. Terry.P

The 2 channel preamp suggestion is good but but I'm positioning for 5.1 music. Unfortunately the current selection of titles is lacking but that will change soon.

20. DerrickW

Well in that case, forgot what I say! The B&K ref 50, Halo C2 and the Anthem AVM 20 should all be great units, but I would certainly want to audition them in my home before purchase. But I think I'd do the same thing in your shoes (sadly, I think your shoes cost more than mine right now).

Good luck.