B&K Ref 50 Update

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Donnie Eldridge, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

I received my Ref.50 back on 5/24 with firmware version 2.03. I'll post just few observations. Coming from version 1.04 menu navigation and overall unit responsiveness seems to have improved greatly. 1.04 seems slow compared to 2.03. B&K has indeed removed most of the relay clicks. During setup I only encountered two, the first upon initial power-up (none when powering from standby). The second happens when entering speaker setup mode and thats it. You can now change your source without any clicks. The clicks have actually been replaced with a small chirp. I was only able to detect them when placing my ear next to the unit. I wasn't able to hear it from my seating position 8ft away and this was without an audio source playing. The subwoofer pop I used to have is gone. This used to happen when the bitstream was detected from my dvd player. I tried this on a total of three dvd players and still no pop. The unit is now quiet. I mean very quiet. Some how B&K managed to lower the overall floor noise. So, I’m pretty impressed with this revision.

I also, have a couple of quick notes for those people considering this upgrade. According to B&K this is supposed to be the final firmware revision (bar any serious issues) until the upgrade to Spec 2 is made available. Also, B&K is currently back logged 10-4 days on work.

Donnie

2. Dean Arizona

Dean Arizona Agent

Donnie,

Does the current firmware upgrade result in your unit being rebadged as a ref series 2? I'm giving some thought to sending in my ref 50 (1.03) for an upgrade. It's not clear to me how B&K currently designates their upgrades now that there are two ref 50 series processors out on the market. Do you need to specify an upgrade to ref series 2 (I assume that's possible based on past upgrade policy) or does your unit remain a ref 50 sent back to you with current software. Also, how much does B&K charge for the service?

Thanks in advance.

3. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

Dean,

The upgrade to S2 won't be made available until later on this year and B&K will charge a fee for this upgrade. The amount is still undetermined and won't be finalized until the feature set is. One thing that is set in stone is losing THX processing. Also, the upgrade is likely not to include every feature the S2 has, so we will always have just a Ref.50. All firmware updates(which I did) are free of charge. The only cost incurred by the owner is shipping the unit to B&K. Return shipping is covered by B&K.

For just a firmware upgrade just call tech support and tell them you would like the latest firmware update. B&K will ask for your serial number and give you a Return Authorization number. Simple and painless.

Donnie

4. Dean Arizona

Dean Arizona Agent

Donnie,

Thanks for the information. I'll contact B&K to arrange for the firmware upgrade. [​IMG]