What's new

B&K Ref. 50 Owners! (1 Viewer)

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
I have a few questions for Ref. 50 owners who have the whine or popping sound? What has been B&K response other than this is normal processor noise because we do not use muting? Are they fixing these problems or at least working on them? I have the unit on a very short list and will be making my purchase soon between the Ref. 50, Anthem AVM 20 and the Parasound C2. Eventually I would like to upgrade to the Lexicon MC 8 which is what I am working towards. Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Ted

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly the whine issue is being addressed to some extent though it won't be eliminated entirely. The volume at which the clicking sound occurs when switching inputs is being looked at, too. This is said, to be easily fixed.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
My dealer, in a direct meeting with B&K last week, came away with this. B&K is selling 3,000 units a month and the number of people that complain about the whine is small. Consequently, they have not admitted that it is an issue and have no plans to fix or replace. It is what it is.

Mark_J_H_Jr

Stunt Coordinator
3,000 a month!

Seems to me they could pump some of that profit back into fixing customer complaints.

3,000 amonth... Wow.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Albert, do you mean 300 a month. 3000 just seems to be farfetched. That would be 100 a day they are building. So basically B&K is going to do nothing concerning these customer complaints. Do you own a Ref. 50, if so what do you think. I just don't want to spend 3 grand and B&K gives me no support. Let me know.

Ted

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Albert, do you mean 300 a month. 3000 just seems to be farfetched. That would be 100 a day they are building. So basically B&K is going to do nothing concerning these customer complaints. Do you own a Ref. 50, if so what do you think. I just don't want to spend 3 grand and B&K gives me no support. Let me know.

Ted

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I own one a love it. Do I have processor whine? Yes, but only if I put my ear up against my speakers. The whine is more apparent in certain combinations of equipment. The flexibility is great and the sound is fantastic. If your worried about it, get one from a place that has a good return policy.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
According to B&K, yes they sell 3,000 units per month and that's NOT counting receivers. I didn't invent the numbers. I agree that you should purchase from a dealer with a good return policy. The whine in my unit has grown increasingly louder the longer it plays. It now exhibits a very loud and noticible whine while watching DVD movies and DSS movies. I want to stress what I said. This whine is NOT when just the amp and pre/pro is turned on. And you do NOT have to turn it up to ear splitting levels. At normal levels, during movies it is easily heard by anyone. My dealer's postion is that B&K says that it is normal, and so despite the fact that he could send me a new one he is convinced that there would be no difference. As it is normal, he feels under no obligation to replace it (less than 60 days old) He says that if I think its broken, send to to B&K for repair under the warranty. In two calls to B&K, they also state that there is nothing wrong with my unit and actually treated me very rudely. They tell me I can send it in, but they are convinced that they will find nothing wrong. Now that makes me feel good. I can send it in, but how hard are they going to work to find the problem? Their position is, and remains, that this whine is normal, and feel under no obligation to replace the unit. I am going to send it in next week and I'll see what happens.

Jerry Klawiter

Screenwriter
This number of 3000 Ref50 units is on the low side from what I have been told. There are several B&M stores that sell a large amount of these, many of these buyers have no interest in Internet forums,
They stay off line and just enjoy them :)
Maybe they are onto something.

Ted Pugh

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry, I tend to agree with you. I was getting ready to purchase the Ref. 50 a couple of months ago until I started reading the forums and all the issues concerning the whine. I have been told it is very noticealbe from a distance away from your speakers, all the way to you can not hear it unless your ear is up against the speaker and you have the volume way up. I don't know but I am going today and put another through the test before I decide on which unit I would like to purchase. I would love the B&K because it is in my price range and will enable me to save towards my ultimate goal of either the Lexicon MC8 or the Classe SSP 60. Thanks for the advise. This whine business is starting to drive me crazy. I think there is going to be some type of problem someone is going to have with every piece of electronics.

Ted

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry and Ted:

I will let this be my last comment on this issue. I, for one, would love to "stay off line and just enjoy my Ref 50", but it whines. I also didn't start the thread, I just responded to it. Ted asked for owners to share their experiences and I did. In conversation with B&K, today, they validated that this unit should not make noises during playback of material. I have an RMA number and they are going to take care of the problem. Excepting the extra whine, the unit has a beautiful sound, and I love it. I have no question that once B&K fixes the problem that I will be a long time B&K owner. Also, I agree that if you go looking for something (wrong) you will always find it. But don't rule out the possibility that sometimes you find things that you weren't looking for. :)

Brian Corr

Supporting Actor
I have a ref 50 and the processor introduces no noise/whine when a source is playing.

If NO source is playing and I turn the volume up, there is a whine.

There is some minor clicking when changing channels on DSS.

I'd also like to mention that I've gone through a bit of trouble to make sure my cables are properly terminated and routed in such a way as to not pick up any noise (for instance - separated from power cables).

I've seen more than one system with excess noise or a poor picture where it was a simple case of sloppy routing or poor termination of the cables.

Lots of variables in achieving clean sound. The best thing to do is give it a whirl. :)

Mike Peveler

Stunt Coordinator
Ted I think we covered this in your previous thread. My experience with the Ref 50 has been exactly the same as Brian's. Find a dealer with a good return or exchange policy and see how it performs in your rig.

Albert, good luck with yours and if it comes back and is still whinning then perhaps audiogone is your friend, or getting down right nasty with your dealer. I know you have no problem doing that:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks