B&K Ref 30

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jordan Tracey, Nov 19, 2001.

1. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

Anyone had any experience with this product?

2. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I have used this product for the last 6 months with out a glitch.For HT I don't think you will find a better bang for your buck. The latest S&V rag has a review of the Ref 30 and the Lex MC-1 and the Meridian. Check it out.The Ref 30 is very quiet and passes on what your amps intend you to hear.The Ref 30 is easy to use and very flexible. The only negatives is that in the Bass management all channels are set globally rather than individually.It has a one band Eq,that can tame your most irritating bass peak.Also B&K are slow to upgrade to new formats.From what I hear we will get Pro Logic II and DTS-Es next year.All in All I am very satisfied with the Ref 30.If I was to change pre/pros it would be to one where I could set each channels crossover individually.

3. Jordan Tracey

Jordan Tracey Stunt Coordinator

Did you buy it at a dealer, or online? I have found it at a place online for 2049.99....At Reliable Audio Video, it's a Yahoo merchant....Ever heard about any of these so called merchants?

4. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    I bought it from a dealer and paid $1995 plus tax.No I have never heard of that merchant.

5. John Morris

John Morris Guest

I bought my old Denon 370 CD player from them. Very good prices but I had to call them a few times before they shipped me my unit.

6. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Does anybody have an issue with the Ref30 regarding it's 89dB "A weighted" S/N ratio? This seems a bit low to me.

This spec is listed on B&K's website for the Ref30.

BruceD

7. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Bruce,

It's not as big an issue as you might think.

Check it out in your system and see if its too noisy is my suggestion.

I too have been disappointed in the slow upgrade to DPL-2, but understand the reasons why, namely Motorola has taken forever to get the DSP code ported over, and the first b to have DPL-2 will be the new DSP.

Regards,

8. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

John,

I'm not quite sure I understand your point;

quote:

---------------------------------------------------------

It's not as big an issue as you might think.

Check it out in your system and see if its too noisy is my suggestion.

---------------------------------------------------------

These days I would expect most mid-fi and hi-fi products to have at least 98+ dB S/N ratios based on good analog and digital design methodologies and available components.

Why isn't this a big issue? Since noise floor is probably one of the more important issues in how a unit reproduces sonic detail.

BruceD

9. Bruce Karsten

I have had this unit for 3 months and enjoy it immensely. It is linked with a B&K 7270 7-channel amp to drive 7 Def Tech Spkrs (2xBP2000TL, 1xCLR3000, 2xBP2002, [email protected]). Add to this an SVS 20-39PC and I'm in sonic heaven!

10. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Bruce K: Got any spare clubs laying around that you can send me?[​IMG]

11. Karl Englebright

Karl Englebright Stunt Coordinator

I bet not a lot of people caught that one! [​IMG]

12. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

BruceD,

My point is simply that you have to decide whether the spec'd 89dB is too noisy for the rest of your system.

You will likely be surprised to find that it isn't a factor -- or (as someone else stated) that that isn't a particularly accurate spec. Better to understate than to overstate a specification IMO.

Regards,

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

14. John Morris

John Morris Guest

That $1995+ price must not have been from a Tweeter. I just spoke with them and the best price they could give me was.... $2500+... WHAT!!? [​IMG] Hell, even new 307s are selling for that on Ebay every week! This might be a case where $500 is well worth the warranty risk! It is no wonder that internet sellers are kicking the B&M store's butts!