B&K ref 30 upgrade cost

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gordon C Jr, Aug 23, 2001.

1. Gordon C Jr

Gordon C Jr Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking to purchase a new B&K reference 30 Pre/Pro or AVR307, but am hesitant due to the upgrade supposedly coming soon.
    Anyone have an idea how much this upgrade will cost or when it might be available? I mean, will B&K have new hardware out by the time the upgrade is available?
    Should I buy now and upgrade when available or live with what I have until next model is out?

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I was looking at a B&K AVR-307 at my local dealer. The DTS-ES upgrade (discrete, matrix, neo) will be out in October-November. The upgrade will consist of a new board, B&K has no price yet but another dealer believes it will be $500.
    ------------------

3. John Kovach

John Kovach Extra

I'm STILL waiting on the upgrade that was supposed to be available last year for my Ref 20. Call B&K and tell them you have a Ref 30 and see what they say about ETA of an upgrade. I wouldn't listen to the salesperson, considering they're trying to get you to buy it now...but maybe I'm just jaded.

4. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I was talking to B&K just this week regarding my AVR-307. They have not even announced the ES/DPL II upgrade and their customer service people have no idea when they will (or won't say).
    FWIW, I seriously doubt they will charge $500 for it when it does come out.

5. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Months ago I sent B&K an Email asking about the upgrade. There has been no response. B&K uses the Motorola chip. So far I have not seen any products using Motorola offer DPL2.
    Tom

6. HankM

HankM Second Unit

That is why there will be a board change, plus they want to change their 24/96 DACS to 24/192. I really don't believe it will be a cheap upgrade like the Onkyo 989.
    ------------------

7. TomH

TomH Second Unit

I have been considering the Ref 30 and the Outlaw 950. If B&K doesn't announce an upgrade soon it will off my list.
    Tom