What's new

B&K multi channel amp owners (1 Viewer)

Yogi

Screenwriter
Just got my brand spanking new Ref 7250 a few days ago. Everything is working perfectly in the sound department. There is just one concern about heat issues. I know MOSFETs idle hotter than BJTs and so a multichannel MOSFET amp will run hotter than its BJT counterpart. But the question is how hot? My amp is sitting in a cabinet that is open in the back and has 3" clearance all around the amp. The front has a glass door. Now after playing for 30 mins the amp is really hot to touch. I mean really really hot. If it were any hotter I could scramble eggs on it:)
What are the experiences of other B&K multichannel amp owners. I know their two and three channel counterparts dont run as hot but what about the 5,6,7 channel amps. How hot does your amp run. And has it ever shut down or fried itself due to heat issues.

randy bessinger

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 7270 and it does run hot. I have never had it shut down, but I did have a problem with the REF 30 overheating until I put fans in my cabinet. Seems like B&K stuff does run hot.

John Beavers

Second Unit
Yep, my REF 7250 doubles as my indoor grill :D
I decided to take the glass door off of my rack. Better safe than sorry I say, especially with two amps in the rack.

Yogi

Screenwriter
Good to know that its normal. Also good to know that the amp will pay itself off in savings in gas for heating during winters.

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I've got the 7270 and it's definitely quite hot so now i'm using fans to cool it. currently just a house fan, but i'll be ordering a stealth fan soon.

mark mann

Auditioning
my 7250 warms kinda warm also but i have the back of the rack wide open and about a foot of open space on top open,i would try to get some more open air space on top,so you dont fry that sucker......

Chip E

Screenwriter
Mark The Shark !
:emoji_thumbsup: ;) Big Daddy's buy'n that 7250 tommorrow.
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I don't remember the websites i found to get stealth fans, but i got them by doing a search here for stealth fan. I believe the one i was looking at was made by Vantec (Vantech?). It's supposed to only run around 23-26db. You might be able to bring up something with an internet search for stealth fan too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks