B&K boggles my mind...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dave Dahl, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I currently own a B&K AVR-507 receiver. It's a really good machine.

What gets me is that the manual is extremely unclear regarding how the dvd-audio input is processed. For example the manual makes mention once how the dvd-a input is processed and that the user may manipulate the sound in a variety of ways. What it doesn't mention is at what rate the resampling is accomplished. It also infers that it is impossible to defeat the processing incoming to the dvd-a input.

I think that this is a terrible design decision. I don't want my SACD resampled at all. At the least I would think that there would be a way to defeat it. There isn't.

Why, B&K, why.

-Dave

2. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Dave,
    You need to do further research, or Give Jerry a call at B&K.
    The inputs are simply analoge/direct pass through & you can also add an a/d conversion & further manipulate the sound from those inputs if you so choose.
    Two channel or multi channel manipulation.
    You can apply the B&K Bass Management to those inputs also.
    Many threads available both here & at AVS search the Ref50 also.
    Here is one:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...20#post2403220

3. Dave Dahl

Dave Dahl Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the response,

After much experimentation I believe that the 5.1 inputs are not, and cannot, be a straight analog passthrough.

On every input (including the dvd-a setting) the television indicates that there is resampling going on at the rate of 96k. The manual indicates the only direct analog passthrough is the two channel rca inputs at the back of the receiver not the 5.1.

I did take a look at the thread you posted. It didn't really come across as definitive. People were contradicting each other and having attempted to select the five speaker setting and still getting the on-screen display to show the resampling rate I can only conclude that there is no direct pass through.

-Dave