B&K AVR507 or Ref 50 & 125.7?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by AndrewVital, Apr 10, 2004.

1. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

I've got M&K speakers (7.1) and now i'm lookin for something to drive them with.

Were talking about 3000 bucks for either solution, but what would be the best one?

Either a B&K AVR507, obviously this is an all in one unit,
    but would there be any difference in doing a REF 50 and a 125.7 amp?

Does anyone know if the pros and cons of each? I'm just lookin to get the best performance for the least amount of money, but since its the same price eitherway I'd rather ask before i go and purchase.

Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Well, if the price is the same get the separates which makes it easier to upgrade down the line if you need more power.[​IMG]

3. Frances_H

Frances_H Stunt Coordinator

I ran into the same decision point last year when I upgraded my system. I went with Ref50 and 125.7 for the above reason. I also believe that, it minimizes electronic noise interference, by having the amplification in a separate box, separated from the FM noise generated by the tuner. In my rack, being able to separate and provide cooling to the amp is a better approach. My decision was also influence by the need to be able to circulate air in the rack, thus, the amp is sitting on its own shelf and has its own cooling fan. The downside, is the additional XLR interconnects cost between ref50 and 125.7. Overall, I am very happy with my decisions to buy separate, the amp performs very well and sounds great - plenty of oomph to drive my Polk LSis without showing strained. FWIW, I looked into ref 200.7 and Sherbourn 7/2100 before deciding on 125.7 and feel that the alternatives would generate too much heat, too deep (dimension wise) for my rack, and an overkill for my speakers. YMMV, Good luck

Frances

4. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Ya, that sounds like a what I might do, but the thing that is holding me up is when I consider the Denon AVR 5803 or the Pioneer Elite 59txi, what i was originally slated to get before i started researching and came across the idea of seperates, I see that they have more "toys" to them such as auto calibration, and indicators for what speakers are getting signals, I link or Dlink (1394 conectivity) , front video inputs, etc.

So i guess i'm wondering would these 2 combounits be better because of these toys? or does the pre-pro power advantage outweigh these "extra features"?.

This is why I am torn between the idea or seperates or A "comb-unit"

Thanks

5. Frances_H

I hear you, but those features will eventually available to most processors of the future, in my opinion. I am waiting for DPL II update on the ref50, and as is, it has actually very flexible (i.e. advance tweaks) for anyone to go crazy on. I used to own Denon 2803, and I went with sonic quality first, and then features. If you are comfortable with Denon's sonic, match with your MK, then that should be taken into consideration. In terms of extra features, IMHO, Denon, PE, Sony, and others will always outpace local brands. It's their strength, goes back to your priority, I guess.

6. CurtisC

CurtisC Second Unit

The only thing I can add is the 507 should be at most $2500 new from auth dealer,I have seen it for even less.

7. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Ref50 comes with DPLII. Did you mean DPLIIx.

8. Frances_H

yeah, missed the x...

9. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Ya, i definately want DLPIIx because i want it to upmix the 5.1 feeds to 7.1

Does anyone have a reciever with DLPIIx? how does it work?

10. Christopher_Ham

Christopher_Ham Stunt Coordinator

I would go with the Ref 50. I love mine, and it is easier to upgrade later.

11. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Go with separates for the same price. The sound of the 5803 and the Elite doesn't even compare to the sound of the B&K combo, IMHO.

12. Stephen M

Stephen M Stunt Coordinator

Finally, keep in mind that the amp sections of the Denon and Pioneer are inferior to the 507 (current limiting design), so I would get the 507 rather than either named receiver (keep in mind each of the named receivers lists in excess of $1300 more than the B&K). The Ref 50 is a no-brainer decision in your favor. Bells and whistles are nice, but I want audio performance from my amp and the B&K amp smokes your other two choices.

13. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

well i'm not so sure, cuz the B&K AVR507 rates 150 @ 8ohms (185 x7 @ 4ohms), where the Denon AVR-5803 gets 170 x 7 @8ohms, (at 4ohms it should get even moore but not rated). SO actually just comparing 8 ohms to 8ohms, it gets 20 watts per channel more, and has bells and whistles

14. Frances_H

yes, but most Denon receivers are rated 6-16 ohms load, not *exactly* designed to run 4 ohms load....FWIW

15. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The Denon 5803 is a current limiting design. The amp section is inferior to the 507. The B&K is designed to run a true 4ohm load. I've owned the Denon 5803 as well as a B&K 307 (same amp section as the 507). I now run a Ref50-Ref200.5-Ref200.2 rig. Don't let those 20 wpc in the Denon fool you. It means nothing. As a receiver, the 5803 is no slouch though.. The 507 is effectivly seperates all in one box and a total powerhouse with a superior amp section. You'll get a more dynamic HT and music experience with the B&K seperates IMO.

16. AndrewVital

AndrewVital Agent

Ya, i have looked at doing a ref 50 and a 125.7 amp, as that was my original post, but i guess the auto calibration, front video ports, and more "doo-dads" on the 5803 have won me over. I dunno, it just seems like the REF 50 is a little simplistic for my taste, with just that one line screen and its plain looking design. Though i don't doubt its excellent processing capabilities, i can't really justify the price difference when i'm also looking for a DVD player too.

Thats another thing, i know the REF 50 doesn't have a IEEE 1394( wirewire) port. Denon calls it "Denon Link" and Pioneer calls it "I-Link". I'm looking at the Pioneer DVR-57H DVD,DVD-RW, Tivo, that has "I-Link." Can i plug a firewire cable from the pioneer to the denon 5803? OR are they propriatry formats by manufacturer?

Thanks again for all your great posts
    - Andrew

17. Bryce Miner

Bryce Miner Stunt Coordinator

Too Bad. The B&K would of knocked your socks off with all the great features, presets, remote, etc, etc, etc...

Yes I think you made a mistake. YMMV.

18. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I thought the blue display on the Ref50 looked kinda sexy.

19. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

The Denon Link and Pioneers are proprietary connections. They are not Firewire. The B&K's have a Firewire port but aren't active. Good luck and i'm sure at the level your looking, you'll be happy with any flagship receiver. Can't get hurt. Just understand,it won't be the same as going seperates though. [​IMG]

20. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I would suggest you down load this B&K software suite, install it and then come back and say its simplistic in comparisons to flexibility.
    I have had several Denon flagship avr's.
    Denon can't touch this.
    http://www.bkcomp.com/support_software.asp [​IMG]