B&K AVR307 or Deonon AVR4802

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike Peveler, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Mike Peveler

Mike Peveler Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone gotten achance to compare these yet. I am thinking of trading my AVR307 for the 4802, because I don't believe that B&K will be giving an upgrade anytime soon. The difference in rated power is not an issue to me. Please give me your thoughts.

2. JohnnyN

JohnnyN Stunt Coordinator

While mark makes a good point that some features and what not shouldn't be as important as overall sound quality, especially when you consider that there's not too much software out that even supports those features.
    However, I'd have to disagree with Mark when he says that 4802 sounds anemic compared to the 307. I auditioned both of these components and I went with Denon. I won't persuade you either way, because I think you can't make a bad decision either way, they are both awesome receivers with awesome sound quality. The best thing you can do is to bring your favorite recordings, movies, and demo disc (DTS demo #4, #5 and THX EX or THX WOW!) to your nearest retailer and make them earn your sales dollar by doing blind side by side tests.
    ------------------
    --------------------------------------------------
    Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
    JKB

3. Shanthi

Shanthi Stunt Coordinator

Mike, If I were you I would go with B&K AVR307, like mark said, it is build like a tank and performs like one.
    Sure enough the 4802 has some new features like DTS 96/24 and DPL II, but some point in time(I guess very soon) you will get an upadate software rev.
    my 2 cents.....

4. Jeremy Hegna

Jeremy Hegna Supporting Actor

You may want to add the Denon 5800 to your list, or wait out the decisions on whether or not and when upgrade will be available, IMO.
    That is a tough decision....as a 5800 owner, I live in the same "upgrade camp" as the 307 owners.
    Jeremy

5. Andrew P

Andrew P Second Unit

I think the B&K 307 sounds better than the 5800 so im assuming that it would sound better than the 4802. I owned both so I listened to them on my home speakers in the same room which im sure is not something that most people do. Right now I own the B&K Ref30. I suggest looking at separates especially when you are in the $2,000 receiver range.
    Andy