What's new

B&K AVR101 receiver (1 Viewer)

Mark Russ

Second Unit
I have the chance to buy a discontinued B&K AVR101 receiver, brand new unopened in the box for $500. I called B&K, and for $1000, it can be factory upgraded to dts ex, dolby digital es, etc. The only thing, it won't have THX es (no big deal to me), and no component video switching capability (only s-video, but again, not a big problem for me). Plus, I would also have to have an additional 2 channel power amp for it for the extra 2 channels, and that in and of itself opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. The scenario I originally was thinking of though was getting a 2 channel B$K amp (I forgot the model #) that I think was rated at 145 watts per channel for the main front left and right and just letting the receiver's built in amps power all of the other 5 channels for movies. However, for only $50 more, you can get a 3 channel B&K amp with the exact same power rating as the 2 channel version, again, I think 145 watts per channel, thus keeping the center the same as the main front left and right. Or, I could get additional amps like maybe a 5 channel model, and get into biwiring/biamping the main front left and right for 2 channel stereo music listening, etc.
The only thing that concerns me though, is that I noticed that the B&K AVR101 is rated at 105 watts @ 1 khz and 0.09% THD also a 1 khz per channel. Whereas for example, the Denon 3802 is rated at 110 watts per channel into 8 ohms from 20 - 20,000 hz with 0.05% THD, which pretty much spells it out as clearly as it can possibly be. Is the B&K 101 not as powerful as the Denon 3802 since they don't as clearly define the specs on it? Or is B&K a brand that you can trust?
Basically, the receiver itself, plus the upgrade would be $1500, and I would still need at least an additional 2 channel power amp for full on 7.1 surround sound. Would this be wise, or could I do better for the money elsewhere?
Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks