B&K AVR 507 questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Simm, May 22, 2004.

1. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

I have been looking at getting a new receiver and have run across a pretty good deal on a 507. Before running across this deal my focus has been on the Yamaha 2400 and Denon 3805. I listen 60/40 movies to music. My room is fairly small approx 14'*17'*8' and I am running 5 Boston VR-M60 speakers with a SVS 20-39PC sub.

I like the look of all 3 of these receivers. The Denon and Yamaha truthfully sound very simialar to each other but I have not been able to hear the 507 although I have auditioned the Ref 50 so I assume the sound is very similar. I tend to keep most of my gear for several years so I am interested more in quailty sound than "bells and whistles" altough features like room eq could be worthwhile.

My questions:
    1. Does the 507 upconvert video to component and is this necessary?

2. Are there any major problems with the 507 in ref to popping and losing digital signals with hi def cable boxes?

Any comments about the 507 or the other receivers I am lokking at would be appreciated. Thanks...

2. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Steve,
    The B&K 507 was one of my serious contenders three weeks ago when I was upgrading at Tweeter Etc. The price was approx. $ 2600.00, which I thought was an excellent deal. Like you the others were the Yamaha RX-V2400 and the Denon AVR-3805. There was also a Denon AVR-5803 that was a floor model that I could have bought for $ 1986.00. I purchased the Denon AVR-3805 for the following reasons: 1- I liked all the features, DPIIx, Auto Room Setup, Build quality, but first and formost, the sound. The 2400 had pretty much the same features with the exception of only two component video in's, but I felt the sound and most importantly, the video switching quality of the 3805 was better. I like the 5803 (especially for the price), but it lacked the DPIIx and the room setup of the 3805. Also, I felt the two sounded identical. Fianlly, the B&K 507. Build quality was excellent, the sound was matbe slightly better (more detailed lows)versus the others. But at more than double the price it did not have DPIIx (which I have come to love), and no room setup system. I had never had this auto setup before, and I now will not live with out it. I have since played around in the manual mode, but always come back to what the system originally setup. Bottom line is that I am extremely satisfied with the Denon 3805, and it left me the funds to upgrade to the DVD-2900 and still have $1000.00 to spare. I too am using Boston speakers, but not your VR series. I am using a 7.1 setup of CR-75's (sisx of them) all mounted to the walls using their CRB pivot brackets, and a VR-C center. My sub is a ARPR1212, 250 watt downfire sealed unit. The sub will soon be changes to an SVS.
    I hope all of this helps you. Bottom line is to listen, listen, and then listen some more. The amount spent is not the best test of what works for you.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

3. ryan richardson

It doesn't convert.

4. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am still torn on which way to go but am leaning towards the 2400 over the Denon and am undecided on the 507. The 2400 and 3805 definitely have a lot of bang for the buck and I could be very happy with either one of them but I guess my familiarity with Yamaha is swaying me in that direction. I wish it had 1 more component video in though.

5. Dave Man

Dave Man Stunt Coordinator

You may also want to consider the B&K AVR 307 and upgrading it (through B&K) to the 507. The only differences would be that the 307 would not have the input selector dial on the front panel nor the other set of speaker jacks on the back (forgive my ignorance here, I simply cannot recall the technical term for them...)

I would guess that a 307 could be purchased (used) for around $1500 and the upgrade would run you $500 plus shipping. That would take the price to just over $2,000 for a unit virtually identical to the 507 for nearly $1,000 less.

6. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I have an AVR 507 and couldn't be more happy with it. Prior to the 507, I used Yamaha before that, in particular the 3090, which was the flagship at the time. When shopping for a new receiver, I immediately tried the new Yamaha, which I think was the Z-1 (or A-1?)at the time... the new flagship model. While I was impressed with the Yamaha, when I tested against the 507, I found the Yamaha overly bright in the mid range, while the 507 was smooth across the range. After much listening between the two, I went with the 507. I didn't audition any Denon's.

As far as digital dropout goes, I have not experienced any drop outs except when I was using a Pioneer D704 laserdisc player. The receiver does not support DD 5.1 from laser (it is an RF signal converted) without buying a converter box. It is with this setup that DD 5.1 would pop once during each laser's side playback. I have recently purchased a DVL-919 and have experienced no pops since. No pops with DVD playback either. I believe the receiver will be more prone to pops when you use a coaxial cable for digital (which the laser's DD 5.1 does) but no pops whatsover if you use optical.

I do not have hi-fef cable box so I can't speak for those... however based on my experiece, if the box has optical... use it. That should prevent any pops.

As far as upconverting to component, there is no conversion. The component hookup are straight pass throughs thus, the signal is unaltered... as it should be. The S-video and RCA inputs are not straight pass through as this is where you'll see the receiver's menu for customizing and setup.

The setup of the 507 can be a little daunting at first but like everything take it slow and adjust over time as you become more familair with it. The remote has a serial connection for hook up to the computer that you can use to customize the remote to your liking and download remote codes so you can control all components.

Hope that helps.

7. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

I will admit that some of the new features available on the Denon's and such are quite helpful. For instance, the All Signals Upgraded to Component is great for my family because we have an old VHS player that only has composite video connections. The picture quality with the AVR doing the upgrade is wonderful. Also, you do not need to send a separate S-Video cable to your TV for the AVR's on-screen menus. All equipment is connected to the AVR and one set of component video cables is connected to the TV. This allieviates the need to switch your TV's video input settings back and forth.
    And, I will admit that I have become addicted to DPLIIX. It provides for excellent 7.1 surround sound from 5.1 sources.

Al. Wise

8. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"I do not have hi-fef cable box so I can't speak for those... however based on my experiece, if the box has optical... use it. That should prevent any pops."

This statement is wrong. I use optical with my HD cable receiver and it pops,cracks,snaps all the time. I've used B&K gear for years.. It is cable system dependant whether you'll experience these issues. It doesn't matter if you use optical or coax.

9. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    As I stated, it was speculation on my part since I don't have a HD cable box. However, when I talked to a B&K tech about the pops I encountered with the laser player, he suggested that coaxial was more prone to loud pops while optical wasn't.

In any event, the issue is now moot for me.

10. Phil Volk

Phil Volk Extra

I don't buy receivers for their abilities (or lack thereof) as a video processor , or to get the video inputs that my monitor lacks, or to let it do all my video switching (that's what remote macros are for)
    I buy a receiver for it's SOUND QUALITY ...The B&K has a non-current limiting design (like straight amps) the others do not...the musicality ,dynamic range , micro dynamics, impact, and lack of distortion with difficult loads at high volumes w/ demanding musical (or Ht) tracks, make the choice an obvious one for someone who is more interested in sound quality over "gee-gaws"