What's new

B&K AVR-507 or Marantz SR8300? (1 Viewer)

Slade

Agent
Hello,

Which of these is the better receiver? Do they both have excellent power supplies? Do they both have excellent amps?

Also, which comes with the better remote? Is the B&K remote as good as the Marantz (or better)?

How much does the B&K cost? (And are there any online sites that sell them?)

My primary purpose is for music. It will be connected for home theater, too, but I really want a receiver that sounds great on music (if the music is great, the home theater will sound good enough to me).

I also like the looks of the B&K...

Thanks for any help,
Slade

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For what speakers in what size room?

I've heard the 507 and I own the 8300. To me, the 507 sounded better and had better amplification, but it is also around 2x the price (~$3k). The 507 is more comparable to the 9300, where it would be closer.

For 2ch music particularly, the 8300 is keeping me very happy. The DACs are smooth, and extract a lot of detail - 2ch gets the added bonus of ADDC, using mulitple DACs to process the signal. Amplification could be a little better, but it also depends on your speakers, mine are 4 Ohm and are somewhat demanding, in a larger room. HT is excellent.

IMO, the B&K remote is one of the best out there. I really do not like the RC3200 remote at all, but I am not a fan of touchscreens, so I still use my old Marantz RC2000 MkII.

Yogi

Screenwriter
B&K 507 is the best flagship receiver out there. It may not have some of the exotic features of the mass market flagships from Denon and Pioneer but when it comes down to sheer musicality and performance, this is one receiver that all other receivers must look up to, IMHO. Its the king of flagships.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks