What's new

B&K AVR 507 Feedback (1 Viewer)

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Hello all, I am getting the 507 this coming week and was wondering if anyone out there has it and would like to share their feedback. I hear people like the REF50 and want to hopefully hear the same for the 507. I am replacing the ONKY0800.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
Hi Todd,
Not too much info for you, but I did recently check out a
Martin Logan Ascent B&K 507 combo.
Very nice sound! :emoji_thumbsup:
The 507 had no problem driving these loud.
I run a Denon 5803.
This ML dealer I visited does not handle Denon, but B&K.
I figured the B&K 507 would at least give me an idea how the Ascents performed with a top receiver.
Congrats on you purchase!
From my listening experience it is a nice piece indeed!
What speakers are you running?
Todd

Todd_Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the reply Todd, I am just running some 4ohm Polk LSi Series speakers right now with a SVS ultra for the subwoofer. The Lsi speakers have been great for me and i cant wait to hear there sound with the new receiver.

Rod L

Auditioning
I just setup my new B&K 507 with Martin Logan Ascents, Theater, & Depth (& existing in-wall speakers in the back for now). So far I love it. The 507's manual isn't great (doesn't even have an index), but the receiver itself works very well. I also really like the remote (MX-700, I think). It now controls all my A/V units. The only problem so far is it doesn't control my Sony Tivo particularly well. I was a little surprised that the 507 didn't come with an AM/FM antenna, but it's not a big deal. Did you get yours setup yet?

Alan_C

Auditioning
This is a post of mine on the Flagship Receiver Forum (Link Removed). I have had my 507 for about 3 weeks. I upgraded from the AVR307, which I owned for about 4 months. My impressions of the differences (from a sound/performance standpoint) are as follows:
I find that there is much more detail and depth both in music and movies. It is not that I am hearing things now that I did not hear w/the 307, it is that I can hear them considerably better. Movies in DTS-ES and DDEX sound fantastic (Gladiator, Lord of the Rings). I still prefer DTS over DD, in either the plain format or ES/EX. I watch/listen to TV through my satellite receiver in DPLII, which is an incredible improvement, especially on Football games or sci-fi shows. I have listened to a couple of CDs in DPLII. Queen's Greatest Hits sounded very cool in this format. Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing sounded awful. I switched to Direct 2 channel (w/my sub on) and that is my preferred format on music. I leave my sub on because I have B&W CDM7 for my fronts and they could be a little stronger on the low end. It is clean and sounds very natural. I also have a Velodyne HGS10 and I love the way it sounds on music, so I leave it on. I adjusted all of my channels and my sub w/my Radio Shack SPL sound meter but for some reason my sub seems to have more punch than it did w/my 307. Can't really explain that one, but it sounds better to me, so I do not really care. I have not done anything w/the notch filter and should probably play w/it. I have not used the MX700 remote yet. I have not had time to program it. I have read the manual and I have a Marantz MK 2000 which is a great remote. The MX700 is very similar but adds a lot of utility w/its' programming/learning ability through a pc as well as the ability to change the hard buttons and touchscreen. You can also program 190 macros which will come in handy. It is very ergonomic in its' feel and it can be used pretty much w/one hand. I cannot do this w/the Marantz, it is simply too big and clunky. I got the silver front and it is a very substantial and cool looking unit. I am very pleased with this upgrade (to date) and give this receiver high marks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks