B&K AVR 307 hissing&popping???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jonathan Chromy, Feb 27, 2002.

1. Jonathan Chromy

Jonathan Chromy Auditioning

My old DD/DTS decoder went out so I decided to replace it with a new receiver. After listening and playing with a few of the higher end units, I decided to go with the B&K AVR 307. I am enthralled with the performance of this unit except for in one area... I am getting this background hiss/warble that you can hear when listening to music/movies during pauses or very quiet passages, or with no signal. Not a ground loop hum, and not your standard very high hiss... this has got more "meat" in it (think white/pink noise). I also get pops through all speakers when the furnace kicks in... My old Marantz receiver (DPL, decoder that died was feeding it via 6 ch direct inputs) did not exibit either of these problems. The receiver is the only change made to the system.

1 main question, and 2 followups...

Is this the way the unit is (I've had three of these, the other two had unrelated problems, but these problems are a common thread with all of them), or is this most likely caused by bad power (more targeted at the hiss than the pop... I'm pretty sure that the pop is just a higher level of sensitivity to things like this)

First followup - If bad power is the culprit, would a surge protector with filtering be adequate and if so, which unit would be recommended... I have been looking at Monster and Parasound equipment... or would I need to go all the way up to a voltage regulation system (and if so which units should I be looking at)

Second followup - Should there be some urgency to purchasing a power filter, or voltage stabilizer? Am I going to damage the receiver by running it with current conditions?

Chromy

2. Mike Peveler

Mike Peveler Stunt Coordinator

Jonathan I have owned the 307 I had similar issues, but I cold never hear a buzz while the reciever was playing a source, but when seated at my listening position I could hear the buzz with the volume turned all the way down. The unit also has a digital pop when switching sources. My dealer explained that this was inherent in the B&K. I tried to live with it but it drove me nuts so I opted for the Denon 4802. I think the B&k does a beter job with music, but for HT the 4802 does a much better job processing not to mention DPL2 which I think is the most useful format to come out since DD or standard DTS. Good luck hope this helps.

3. Duke

Duke Stunt Coordinator

Try to reset the reciever, check the manual page 75 : press sleep, down and menu buttons simultaneoussly on the front panel. You'll lose all your setting. This clears a lot of problems that currup the 307 memory.

I have a 307 and it doesn't have any problems, to hear the hiss I have to put my ear up to the tweeters.

Could be a ground problem, you got cable you may have a ground problem, It also sounds like you may have a low voltage problem, check it with a meter.

I disagree about the Denon, I find the B&K better in both music & ht, and better in many other ways.