What's new

B&K amp good match for Def-tech? (1 Viewer)

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
I posted 2 days ago about buying a Parasound amp for my system.I phoned the seller and the amp is already sold:thumbsdown: One of the new amps I found is a B&K ST1430.It's 125x3 and would be a nice fit for my setup.Can anyone offer a opinion on this amp or other B&K's hooked up to Def-tech BP10's.The Def-techs are a tad bright,so I'm looking for a warmer sound to even things out.Any feedback would be a big help.
Thanks Wayner

Robert George

Screenwriter
B&K makes excellent amps. Those that I have heard do indeed has a fairly warm, smooth character. I'm not familiar with the specific model noted, but I would certainly give any B&K amp consideration.

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your response Obi.I took your recommendation on the Parasound the other day,but it disapeared before I had a chance to see it.I'm going to look at the B&K right after work.Any other input is welcome.

Aslam Imran

Second Unit
I like B&K amps over Parasound and Rotel. For bright speakers they are the best match after Pass, CJ, Trinity and musical fidelity in that order.

Larry B

Screenwriter
Wayne:

When you say "a good match" you are actually asking whether it will sound good, which is (of course) entirely subjective. If I told you it was the greatest combination I ever heard, does that mean you'd like it?

What's my point? Simple: You need to listen to it yourself.

Larry

Wayne McRae

Stunt Coordinator
Thats my problem Larry.I'm buying a amp privatly that is used.I don't think anyone is going to let me take it home and demo it.I'll be able to listen to it on his speakers,which I'm sure will be different than mine.I'm basically looking for input on whether B&K amps would be considered bright or more laid back.I'm hoping for the latter.

Thanks,Wayner

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
I"ve been using different B&K amps for the last 13 years and think they're great. They have a sound that I would refer to as "warm" rather then "laid back". I use Martin Logan speakers and the combination works excellent for both music listening in stereo or home theater in 5.1. I have nothing against Parasound amps but find them to be a little "bright" with my speakers. The 1430 is one of B7K's older models so I check with a local B7K dealer to make sure parts are still available for repair in case something goes wrong with the amp.

Brian Bowes

Auditioning
Did you end up getting the B&K 1430. I am debating the same two amps (this one and the Parasound 855). What do you think? Thanks

Aaron Cooke

Second Unit
I know it's not the same models you're looking at, but i have Def Tech BP 2002's and I recently upgraded to a B&K 7270 amp as my first step towards separates. I was previously using an Onkyo TX-SV828 THX receiver (which is still my pre/pro). I have been very pleased with the way the B&K sounds with my speakers. The other amps i listened to were by Rotel, Anthem, and ATI and i think i made a good choice with the B&K. Hope that helps some.

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I know "bright" is very subjective but DefTechs are not bright. Listen to NHT's -those are bright speakers.
Don't mean to sound bitchy :) but I think the term bright is probably the most over used in all of audio.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
I've owned a ST1430 (and still own the 2 channel version ST1400) and it is a good amp. I would say it (like all B&K's) leans to the warm side. I used the B&K amps with NHT's and it was a nice combo.

I guess bright is relative. I've heard NHT described as bright but I use the ones with the silk dome tweeters, which IMO, are just detailed not bright. NHT's with the metal dome tweeters are brighter. I say go for it!

JasonWUC

Agent
I have DefTech BP-30s powered by B&K Reference 220Ms. They sound excellent for action movies. I previously had the 30s hooked up to a Yamaha RX-V2095. The 220Ms really increased the lower end on my 30s. They made that transmission line speaker sound great. I couldn't believe my sub was off. The difference wasn't even funny. As for music..........eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks