What's new

B&K 507 users thread (1 Viewer)

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I spent the majority of my weekend setting up my B&K 507. I must say I really enjoy the sound quality of this receiver. Set-up was somewhat daunting, which is what led me to starting this thread. I'm hoping that my fellow 507 owners and I can share some tricks of the trade in an effort to get the most out of this great peice of equipment.

Here are a few of the problems I've run into; First off, I haven't quite figured out how to set all the pre-sets, another thing I noticed is that when you click on FM to listen to radio stations there is no option to program or save a radio station once it's tuned???

The remote is great and setting up macros was a breeze (If any of you need assistance I would be happy to help).

If anyone has any comments please feel free to post.

Greg

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
get the set-up software up and running and hook up to your computer using rs232, it makes everything a little easier....once you have learned how to change settings for eq, crossover, speaker config, etc then save them as a preset and do another preferance setting , put in lots of them for differant inputs and applications, it makes "tweaking to the source" soooo much fun!!

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
Thanks Jake,

What set-up software are you referring to exactly? Was my receiver suppose to come with some software?

I did hook up the remote to the computer to get it programmed. How do I get the software for the receiver?

Greg

Jake S

Stunt Coordinator
Chip ,
I know the store where you've purchased many of your items from, and I was wondering if any of the guys there (I know one or two) are grumbling at the new compensation plans that the chain rolled out...A relative works in another location and I can't get a good vibe on everyones reaction...any word?

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Chip,

I understand your frustration about not knowing how to set the radio presets...B&K does a poor job of describing this, as most receivers have presets specically for AM and FM stations.

With the B&K products you need to make a preset for each station, just as you could make a preset for DVD-Audio. On my remote I actually created a device (these are the 10 buttons on the top of the remote) called 'radio'. Under the 'radio' device I have programmed each of the buttons to go to a particular preset that corresponds to each station.

Once you get the hang of it, you will appreciate the power of B&K's presets: you could create a 'DVD-Night' preset that lowers the bass levels so you aren't as likely to disturb others.

You should also download the SR 10.1 Programming Manual from B&K's website...it has a lot of tips and tricks for automating your system.

If you'd like, send me a PM and I'll email you the file for my remote.

Regards,
Anthony

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg

I'm sure he did as well, and I appreciate the tips. I did download the set-up file from B&K's website, and as time permits I plan on utilizing it this weekend. As far as the presets go, i'll just hve to play around with them a little bit until I get everything customized to my liking. I'll Post more later if I have any questions.

Regards,

Greg

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I have a friend that's not able to respond to this thread. I have agreed to ask questions that pertain to his Reference 50. He wants to know if he able to hook up the Reference 50 directly to his PC for direct programming of general setup of the preamp?

Is there a specific location on the B&K website that will answer his question more directly?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

RF

anth_c

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

There is a connector on the back of the Ref 50 that is labeled RS-232 (it is located to the left of the multi-channel analog audio inputs). The connector actually accepts a Category 5 cable (ethernet). On the PC side, the B&K comes with an adapter that fits into one of the PC's serial ports (you don't plug the Cat-5 cable into a network card, hub, or router).

Once you download and install the software, the software should be able to automatically find the preamp.

Regards,
Anthony

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
Robert posted the PC cable connection question for me. I got one of the first units and the cable wasn't with it. Since then I have contacted B&K and they are shipping one to me.

There is also a version II Ref 50 and AV507 coming very soon. I don't remember all the added features but I do remember it will have Pro Logic IIx. It will also give you the ability to set the EQ for each individual speaker. The B&K support rep said it'll be about 6 months before the an upgrade is available. The EQ versitility I'm looking forward to for better SACD Bass management.

Randy C Sr

Stunt Coordinator
Greggor, I don't know if you have hooked your receiver up to the PC yet, but I can tell you it works. You can see everything on one screen instead of going through the menu on the receiver display or TV. You can also control the receiver from the PC. I have a Ref 50 and it did not come with the RS232 adapter plug. I called B&K and they shipped me one free of charge. I purchased some Cat5 cable and connectors and ran the cable through the ceiling. Cables are pretty cheap if you purchase them online. They will come already with the ends on them.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I've been searching and can't find a good answer to this question: Does the B&K AVR-507 S2 include DPL IIx?

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
OK, that was an absolute requirement - it has to have IIx! Last question . . . Using the front L & R speakers as the reference, how much louder can the volume in the center, surrounds, and rear surrounds be turned up? 10dB? 12dB? 20dB? What? That is one question, isn't it? :)

- Bill

Frances_H

Stunt Coordinator
very loud! ;)

sorry, can't resist, but here is a suggestion: go to www.bkcomp.com and download 507 manual. I don't want to misspoke since I don't have 507. But on the Ref50, when I calibrated the system, I remember the individual channels volume can be adjusted independently, and it can be dialed to a very loud volume. hope it helps.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I had done that before posting my question. The manual did mention that all channel volumes could be changed independently, but it did not say how much . . . at least not that I could find. I then downloaded the BkSuite and ran it - this showed me that the speakers could all be independently adjusted +/- 12dB in volume, which is more than adequate IMHO!

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I just ordered one from an authorized dealer, the bottom line was $2,475. I expect I might have been able to do better than that if I looked around, but I don't think I could do better from an authorized dealer! I'm not sure dealer referrals are allowed here, so E-mail me if you want information . . . note that I am not paid for referrals! :)

- Bill

Users who are viewing this thread