What's new

B&K 50 problem....help (1 Viewer)

BrianKR

Second Unit
I kept hearing a clicking sound coming from the unit and I lose my sound for a second or 2 when it happens. I thought maybe it was my cable company having problems so I put on a DVD, same problem although it's not as frequent. It sounds like a relay switch. So far I only have interconnects and one S-video plugged into it. The fittings are as tight as possible and the wires have some play in them. Any suggestions?

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like low voltage. I had the Ref 30 and it did the same thing when the voltage dipped below 105 volts or so. I see you are in PA, right in the middle of the power problems in the northeast so that is most likley the issue.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I will try a reset, thx Donnie.

Brian F, I did not even think of that being a possibility. I have the B&K sharing a line with my other components.
I will try hooking the B&K up to it's own power source and see if that helps. I was considering a line conditioner. Maybe now is the time to stop considering and actually go out and pick one up.

I am going to install all brand new cables tonight as well.

Thx for the suggestions.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
A line conditioner will not help. If it is low voltage you need a regulator. THe monster one for $1500 is way overpriced. You can mail order a tripplight that is very fast (1800 watts) and only plug your electronics (no TV or amp) into it and be fine. It should only cost $150 or so. Most under $100 UPS's are voltage regulators. You might even be able to use one of them.

Although a good conditioner will have the voltage guage or display so you can see what the voltage is when it happens.

Does it go away at night late when office buildings shut off the power and the voltage retuns to normal?

B&K's, at least the Ref 20 and Ref 30, were very very sensitive to voltage, but fortunaty there is a simple and pretty cheap solution.

BrianKR

Second Unit
I plugged the B&K into it's own power source and the problem appears to be gone. I listened to it for about an hour and there were no disruptions in sound or relay clicks.

I also replaced all the interconnects with brand new cables. Not sure which did the trick but I am not complaining. I just hope it doesn't return. I will "definitely" look into a regulator. I am almost certain I have a voltage problem in my home. We moved into our home less than 3 years ago and we have had to replace 4 major appliances in that time all of which were bought when we moved in. A contractor friend of mine told me to get my electric checked out. A friend of his went through the same problems with appliances and found out he had a serious volatage problem.

I have been putting it off but I wont any longer. I have a 400 amp service for my home. You would think I would have current to spare. I live out in the boonies though.

Brian Fitterman

Stunt Coordinator
I have been putting it off but I wont any longer. I have a 400 amp service for my home. You would think I would have current to spare. I live out in the boonies though.
Wow, 400 amps. You must have a big house with a ton of AC or electric heat.

The issue could be with your service comming in. If the lines comming into your house have low voltage, then there is nothing you can do about it. That is what happened with me. It was the outside lines that were being taxed by all the AC's on and not enough power to supply them. Voltage goes down. Putting in a dedicated line helped quite a bit.

Low voltage can damage applianced..usualy ones with motors (fridges too).

Brian

BrianKR

Second Unit
Yes, it's a pretty big house, 17 rooms, 2 separate AC and heating units and a 3HP pump for my pool. I run my pool pump from May until October. It helps with maintance issues I had the 1st 2 years with it. Our electric bill for the Summer months is umm.....WOW!

I am going to call the electric company first thing in the morning to see what they can do for me. I have a electrician coming out tomorrow to see what he can do to check the performance of my lines going into my basement. I noticed my lights dim in the room when I have everything running and I have 3 individual circuits for the room.

Thx for the heads up on the regulator.
I would hate to cause damage to any of my new equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks