B&K 5 channel amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

I found an auction getting rid of a B&K 5 channel amp they call "sonata 5" They do not give any other specs but its in 8/10 condition.

any advice?Please, I am making the jump from stereo to DD and want to get the best.

2. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

If anyone knows anything about this amp or B&K, please help me out. The auction ends in 2 days and If this is a great deal, I dont want to miss out.

"According to B&K's own marketing materials the amp was called the Video-5 Sonata. It was marketed along the with

updated version of the ST 140, ST 202, the EX 442 Sonata and the M 200 Sonata in the early 1990's. "

any info would be appreciated!

3. Shawn Sefranek

Shawn Sefranek Second Unit

I have one, I bought it about six years ago.

Retail was like 1,200 and I think I paid 950.

It’s the B&K Video 5 Sonata.

105 Watts into 5-Channels

Very good AMP. Never had a problem in all those years.

It was running my entire 5:1 system with a powered Sub, but now it runs (4) surround speakers in a Lexicon Logic-7 array.

I now have a Parasound HCA-2003A powering the front three.

It doesn’t have a cooling fan so it gets a little hot if you push it.

Weighs a TON because of the large cooling fins.

I’m at work now, but I can get some pictures for you tonight if you don’t know what it looks like.

Shawn S

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Thanks Shawn,
    I had just gotten done with searching posts that had anything to do with b&k amps and saw your post. I was just about to email you. Thanks for the reply. I havent seen anything online or even at B&K's web site about this amp. I would appreciate pics if you could. [​IMG]
    geno

5. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Purchased amp! cant wait! I hope $400 + $20 shipping is a good deal. I coulndt find used audio equip book prices online but i figured b&k's reputation stands.