What's new

B&K 30 and Outlaw 950 owners question (1 Viewer)

MitchKel

Grip
My Denon receiver won't enable the sub output as long as I have my front speakers set to "large" in the menu. That's not going to cut it now that I've purchased a sub. The 30 and 950 are 2 of my potential replacements and I was wondering how they operate as far as sub output. Thanks for the info in advance.

Kirk Mango

Stunt Coordinator
Their are several options with the ref 30. First you can set the sub to THX Yes which, when the speakers are set to large plays only LFE. When the speakers are set to small on this setting then the sub plays the hz below whatever the crossover is set at. The next setting is Ultra. On the large setting for the mains the sub will play all the LFE as well as all the bass going to the mains. The processer sends a duplicate signal of the mains bass to the sub as well. I am not sure what happens different if the mains are set to small and sub to ultra, have never used this option. The 3rd setting is no sub which sends all bass from LFE to mains. There is also a room equalization feature on the REf 30 which includes 1 notch filter for knocking down room induced peaks. Hope this helps.

KM

Bob_M

Stunt Coordinator
Mitch

>My Denon receiver won't enable the sub output as long as I have my front speakers set to "large" in the menu.<

A few simple thoughts.

1) Should they really be set to large in the first Place?

2) Were you taking about HT or stereo mode? In 2-ch stereo mode a setting of large should keep the sub quiet. In HT the sub should only get the LFE channel.

Hope this helps,

Bob

MitchKel

Grip
Bob, I run Polk SDA SRS's for the front which are pretty substantial speakers but down on the lowest freq's they are a little weak. I personally would never run ht or music that wouldn't take advantage of their full capabilities. The Denon processor I originally looked at crosses over the freq at 80hz if you wanted to have a sub output. Might as well buy bookshelf speakers for the fronts at that point. Kirk, thanks for the info about the Ref 30. That sounds like enough options to keep me busy. Mitch

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks