Axoim or Wharfedale Evo? Ready to pull trigger any day

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mike_Gr, Dec 27, 2004.

1. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

A few months ago I narrowed my selection down to the Axiom M60 or the Evo 30. I will be using the Axiom QS8 surrounds in a 5.1 setup no matter which tower I ultimately choose.

I can get the Evo 30's and the Evo center for $1,100 or I can go Axiom M60 and VP150 center for $1285. I will be purchasing the QS8's subsequently when some free cash is available.

Right now in my mind, I think the center channel is the deciding factor. When I look at the tiny Wharfedale Evo center, I wonder if it would even be able to produce as good a soundstage as the larger Axiom center. Will the size difference of these two centers (not to mention # of drivers & tweeters) allow for some noticeable differences? I have no way of knowing for sure so I thought I would ask for some opinions.

Secondly, if any of you have heard both systems, I would appreciate some final input regarding how theses two systems compare to one another.

2. Mike_Gr

Mike_Gr Stunt Coordinator

Ah..nevermind.

I just pulled the trigger a few minutes ago and ordered the Axiom M60's, VP150, and QS8's. They should be here this Friday.

3. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

Mike, about a year ago, I auditioned the Wharfedale Evo 40's and the rest of the Evo surround set up. I really liked the 40's, but like you, I wasn't sure the smallish center speaker was up to the task. I ended up buying Magnepan speakers and haven't looked back.

We recently moved in to a new house, and the maggies will be incorporated in to a dedicated HT/Music room in the basement. But I also have a HT/Music room in the family room. So I went out last week and bought 5 B&W speakers to go along with my SVS PC-Ultra to use in the family room. I got the 602.5 for my fronts, the LCR600 for the center, and the LM1 for my surrounds. Couldn't be happier. BTW, the LCR600 is a large, heavy, excellent center channel speaker!!

Good luck on your decision. Give the B&W speakers I've mentioned an audition. You may very well like them as well as the Whatfedale's!!

4. Albert Ploski

Albert Ploski Auditioning

I bought my Wharfedale theatre speaker-set two months ago from Audioadvisor: Opus 3 mains, Tricenter and Trisurrounds. These are one of the best in terms of quality build, finish and performance.